Nine (NBN)

Hopefully Tasmania doesn’t get a clone of the NBN set but most likely it will. The NBN set is basically one of the cheapest sets around. Its literally screens, LEDs and a desk.

2 Likes

I just heard a promo from the other room promoting the live Anzac Day service, it was Gav and Tash on screen

And I just caught the logo at the end…

It was actually the dots with the text “Nine” then NBN after

2 Likes

Was it this one? (from their website)?

Screenshot_20230420-142705_Samsung Internet

1 Like

Yes that’s the one.

It’s a shame their old website nbntv.com.au did not redirect to their new website… it was their URL for so long and would have carried visitors over…

2 Likes

It did redirect for a little while.

As for the logo, i think they should have used the old Dotted Number Nine | NBN so that there is a bit more consistency with the on air brand.

Same for the website - I think they should have kept the Dotted Number Nine | NBN too.

Better still, get rid of NBN for everything and call it all Nine. I don’t think the viewers will really care and everything will look a lot more consistent across socials, news and general on air presentation etc.

2 Likes

I suspect they’re keeping the name to protect a trademark. Remember, there’s a bigger NBN out there and I don’t think Nine are too happy with them taking their name.

I’d prefer to piss of the Nine brand from everything, even Nine itself, it’s a metro channel number not used on the LCNs outside metro areas when they should’ve applied it. But that’s neither here or there.

3 Likes

Sounds like this may be the first new TV transmission site anywhere in Australia for several years.

1 Like

I wonder what this means for the existing Stroud TX at the Reservoir in King Street?

And how will get they the feed to Peppers Mountain. Possibly off air from Gan Gan Hill?

1 Like

NBN opts out of the network at 4:25am with a repeat of MyWay because this is when the Sydney Dawn service starts.

Then live from Nobbys Beach in Newcastle from 5am to 6am… then back to the network at 6am for Today… This will also be seen across the whole network including Gold Coast.

From memory in the past I think the Sydney service was played, then they cut in with the Newcastle service at 5am??

3 Likes

Stroud TX will stay. It will now take it’s input from Peppers Mountain.

Peppers Mountain is fed by link (Same Link feeds Bulahdelah). Sugarloaf off-air is too susceptible to co-channel interference for an input.

2 Likes

Yeah I have that issue at Charlestown too.

1 Like

Anzac Day promo

4 Likes

They couldn’t even get down there to film the promo…

I’m in Coffs Harbour tonight, just walked past a pub in the city centre and it was showing Nine News (rather than NBN News - presumably getting set up for Origin)

Thought it was interesting they would stream than show the local terrestrial broadcast (which would be the most reliable way to watch it).

Or perhaps they have a FOXTEL box registered to a Sydney address and using the Nine retransmission on that.

4 Likes

Yes you would think so but it’s easier then fixing the TV aerial when the content is the same just with annoying pre-roll and repetitive insert ads. Is there any advantage if you have a decent internet connection?For example my apartment doesn’t have a working external TV aerial since the NBN was connected. I purchased a internal aerial when I moved in it gets shocking reception on channel 9 but ok on channel 7. Whenever I need to watch channel Nine like tonight for the State of Origin it’s easier to stream then spend ages repositioning the aerial.

2 Likes

I’ve not really compared, but it would be interesting to compare picture quality and lag of 9Now vs 9HD (you’d probably need two TVs side by side preferably the same model and size). Nine’s HD PQ is not as good as FOX League HD via satellite though. And 9Now is likely to be 20-30 seconds behind 9HD.

Internet dropouts are always my main worry - even though mine only occurs every 6-8 hours, it takes 3-4 minutes to reconnect and is likely to happen at a critical moment!

1 Like

AFAIK 9Now is 50fps or 1080p compared to 1080i for 9HD and capable of a lot more MBit per sec, probably runs from 5 up to 10 depending on what is broadcast - given that 9HD is starved due to the number of multichannels.

2 Likes

Here’s an idea for both NBN News and 9Now - put NBN News on 9Now!

4 Likes

It’s coming. I checked about 6 months ago and it was in the planning process.

3 Likes