Nine (NBN)

Took Woolies a lot longer to rebrand Safeway

3 Likes

For some reason, NBN has uploaded some “live stream tests” to their YT page:

NBN now doing localised 9HD and 9Life promos. Just saw one with Paul Lobb.

1 Like

3 Likes

My Extra is still 84 even after a heap of rescans. 85 is blank.

Will be interesting to see what happens with LCNs AFTER the NBN branding disappears.

Will they do a Seven QLD and move channels to the 90-99 range everywhere, except Central & Gold Coasts where they would have to remain in 80-88 due to TCN/QTQ overlaps?

Time will tell…

1 Like

Unless those Central/Gold Coast transmissions have different radiation patterns, you’d think they could just switch one set off.

SC10 didn’t have a Central Coast feed until just before digital switchover IIRC, so I’d assume those transmissions at least are a full duplication of service area.

With the Gold Coast they could probably just have Nine Gold Coast to anywhere that transmits on Queensland time.

1 Like

They still don’t (really)… only Forresters Beach/Wyong is on air, that only covers the northern half of the Central Coast, Bouddi and Gosford, both covering the southern half, still not on air.

In any case, even the LCN name for Forresters/Wyong is still “SC10 Newcastle” with Newcastle ads et al.

1 Like

They will probably wait until any potential merger happens. If Nine merges with WIN, it could be an Australia wide change. But if Nine merged with Southern Cross, NBN would have to switch to Ten and I am assuming that the LCNs for SC and NBN would swap.

I think that the regional channels from the Central Coast transmit at a lower power to avoid overspill into the wider Sydney metropolitan area, not sure if there’s something similar with the Gold Coast transmissions.

Personally, I think that Nine would be better off keeping the channels that are currently branded as Nine rather than the NBN ones in such overspill markets. But on the NSW Central Coast you’d probably have to sort something out so viewers would still be able to watch local news (at the very least, I do think that Nine Sydney should have some sort of Central Coast news bureau) as well as Sydney news. Central Coast viewers would probably complain if they were to lose either their only proper source for local news or the popular Sydney bulletin.

Yes, but only from Bouddi, because of it’s proximity to the northern end of the Peninsula (Palm Beach etc).

As for the Gold Coast, I think MtTamborine is far enough from Brissy for Prime7/NBN/SC10 transmitter specs to not enroach on Brisbane metro.

dream on… they aren’t going to lose their NNSW cash cow… NRN would be sold off.

3 Likes

The NNSW channels from Mt Tamborine have a different radiation pattern from a different set of antennas.

1 Like

Plus why bother with the heavy integration into QTQ if you are only going to sell.

1 Like

You may need to delete the whole service altogether and rescan. It sounds like your TV isn’t re-reading the Service Descriptor Table correctly. The only way to make your receiver do that is to delete the service entirely and rescan a fresh.

1 Like

Hi mate - did a factory restore this morning. All good, thanks so much.

Exactly. If NBN was really going to be sold off, they would’ve made the news branding look more like an independent station rather than closer and closer to that of Nine News.

1 Like

It’s a good thing for NBN that their feeder network is called Channel 9, and not Chsnnel 2.

A TV Channel called 2HD (instead of 9HD) would have been somewhat confusing in the local media landscape here in Newcastle!

2 Likes

That would’ve caused some problems with if the ABC decided to still use “Channel 2” branding! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, that’d almost be as bad as naming a major government project after the call letters of a TV station.

8 Likes