Nine (NBN)

Perhaps a vertical/horizontal switch?

Then people would need to be told to rotate their antennas, moreso than do a rescan? Again wouldn’t fix the input issue.

All channels would need to change polarity as well, but it SEEMS that only NBN is affected by the input issue, other channels at Murrurundi may not necessarily be using an off air feed?

I doubt it. That would require new antennas for transmitter and viewers.

Perhaps an offset to the frequency?

1 Like

The Change at Murrurundi is an input feed change due to interference on the current input. The new input is coming from a different transmission site, that has a different set of parameters in the transport stream. Digital receivers will need to be rescanned to pick up these new parameters. The Channel at Murrurundi is still UHF Ch.36, it is the channel parameters that are different.

1 Like

Ah thanks for the explanation!

I was meant to be home for Easter, but my car’s alternator died late Friday night, and couldn’t get home for Good Friday lunch. So I’m stuck in Sydney, so I missed out on checking out what they’ve done. Thankfully you guys are on to it…

And can I just say - you either go hard, or go home. If a student of mine presented that to me as an assignment, that’s a fail.

You either ditch the NBN name and go complete with the 9 NNSW name, AND change the LCN to 9 and 9* with the change, or you recognise the fact you are a regional broadcaster and keep the name, and leave it alone. You can do some good things with the NBN brand if you really think about it and get the right people in.

Saying you are Nine Northern NSW when you are on channel 8 and 8* is confusing - I grew up with grandparents saying they watched Channel 9 programs on Channel 3 on Channel 10 (NBN’s Upper Hunter relay) - that is confusing. That exists when you’re saying you’re watching 9HDNBN on channel 80.

Do it properly. Or just GTFO. Prefer the latter to be honest, and I’m not just restricting that to Nine Entertainment Company.

2 Likes

Can they just change the LCN? Who governs what LCN is allowed to be used by each broadcaster?

1 Like

Given 7QLD uses the metro LCN of 7 and 70-79 everywhere except the Sunshine Coast (where there is overlap with Brisbane), there’s no reason why 9NBN similarly couldn’t use 9 and 90-99 from the Hunter region to the QLD border.

Actually there is a reason why.

The LCN’s are part of the Australian DVB-T specifications, the metro stations have one set of LCN’s, & the regionals have a different set of LCN’s allocated to them.

The reason why 7QLD uses the metro LCN’s everywhere but the Sunshine Coast, is, that 7QLD is owned by Seven West Media, & is effectively part of the metro 7 Network. Obviously they can’t use the metro LCN’s in overlap areas, as it would screw up both signals for viewers.

9NBN on the other hand, while it’s owned by NEC. At the moment it’s still a separate regional broadcaster, & isn’t part of the metro Nine Network.

1 Like

But regional Australians watch Southern Cross Ten on Channel 5 and Prime7 on Channel 6. They have One on 50 and Eleven on 55. So it’s already all over the place.

3 Likes

The whole point of separate metro and regional LCN’s is to avoid a broadcaster being automatically allocated channel numbers in the 350-399 range in overlap areas, sending their channels to the bottom of lists and EPG’s. The current allocations allow for all broadcasters to get equal positioning.

4 Likes

Actually that’s not totally correct.

That’s how/what happens, but the 350-399 range, is part of the Australian DVB-T operational practice standards, that was written into, & allocated as a block/place, for channels with no LCN descriptor transmitted, &/or duplicate channels to be placed.

That block of LCN’s exists as a result of the LCN allocations to each network, for backup purposes.

Australian LCN’s are based on UK standards & agreed to be used by all Australian Free To Air TV Networks.

The Operational Practice standards for Australian LCN’s can be read here. It’s technical in parts, but describes why they are used the way they are. Australian LCN Operational Practice Standards

1 Like

But it shouldn’t take much for 9NBN to be restructured into 9 metro given common ownership.

And if the media reach rules are abolished, that could pave the way for Prime7 and SCTEN to follow suit with their metro partners and make regional LCNs a thing of the past (overlap areas excepted).

2 Likes

NBN is now run by the same lady who runs QTQ.

I would think in the 6 months ahead you will see many similarities, including NBN run like a network O&O the same as QTQ.

This would include consumer facing things like the fully rebadging of NBN as Channel 9, 9 News and the like. And behind the scenes things like ad sales, production, and digital merged under the Nine Network operations.

3 Likes

It makes sense but the biggest objection is that it would tend to lock in the current affiliation agreements or cause more problems if they were to change. WIN for example can take full ownership of LCN 8 and build that as a brand and come to an agreement to either put programs from 9 or 10 (or elsewhere) on it. If they changed that to 9 now and subsequently change affiliation they are going to have to change their LCNs or end up with 10 programming on LCN 9. Having a different LCN to the metro stations gives the regional flexibility in affiliation.

Re: the LCNs - part of the same bodgy digital TV standards implemented by the feds. Couldn’t even do that right.

Time to shut up shop, confiscate the space and sell the spectrum to the telcos. Your kids and I will have the revenue generated from the sale - god knows we need it more than the big boys. Newcastle commercial media and the Knights have one thing in common, and I hate to say it - they’re run by idiots.

1 Like

I also think that by this time next year, NBN will most likely be known as “Channel Nine Northern NSW” (although the station will probably just be referred to as “Channel Nine” or “Nine” for the most part) with the same/very similar branding to that used on Nine in Sydney, Brisbane and other metropolitan markets. Maybe you might get some localisation through the use of local VO artists every now and again like what Seven do in some of their smaller markets, but that’s about it really.

As far as NBN News is concerned…even though some of the graphics have been updated in recent times to make the bulletin look more Nine News-esque, I personally think that any name change will most likely coincide with the next major branding refresh of Nine News in the capital cities.

I was under the impression that the NBN brand was going to be phased out completely by the end of this year.

As for the news, it would probably just mean a name change, new opener, adopting the network theme music but retaining the same set, at least until the network has their next news revamp.

1 Like

Perhaps, but it’s been a while since there’s been any particularly major branding changes to Nine News. Sure, there’s been noteworthy tweaks like the refreshed national set, slightly different-looking supers which have made it to Nine News’ current HD/automation markets and promo graphics which get refreshed every so often, but all are probably just a minor blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.

When you consider that NBN News recently updated it’s graphics to include more Nine-esque elements while keeping the NBN News name and branding (eg, titlecards and music), you have to wonder whether or not they’re intentionally waiting for a branding refresh of news across the network at some stage before changing the name. Wouldn’t a major name change to the news service make more of an impact with viewers if the change coincided with a new look?

It seems to me that 9NBN are wanting to do things incrementally, hence the current general mish-mash of branding we are seeing now, so a news rebrand to still blend in with the current general look might be the way they are going here too.

1 Like