Nine (NBN)

The “Flashback Fridays” are nice, but it further reinforces in my mind that NBN seem to be stuck in the past.

Their news still feels a bit 1990s to me.

2 Likes

Hopefully once NNSW news is centralised to Sydney, the SNSW news will be up to the standard of QLD.

3 Likes

You can now watch the Days Of The Knights documentary online.

1 Like

Some more versions of the “We Love It” ID I was able to record on a recent trip up north …

This 30 sec Newcastle version looks new, with Sam Djodan footage:

There’s a series of ‘special’ non-market specific IDs that are also airing (although I don’t know how many markets they would play the Newcastle Knights one in, I saw it play in Newcastle & Central Coast markets):

Caps:

Community Noticeboard:

Billboard:

6 Likes

Yes, unfortunately, their general non TV advertising is still all centred around the “NBN News” brand, and there’s hardly any Channel Nine advertising.

This is something that I think they need to address, it seems as if they are reluctant to even acknowledge the Nine brand up there at Mosbri Crescent.

2 Likes

So NBN plays Hot Seat off a clean feed with no pop-ups and their own bugs/graphics.

I think they do this to avoid any in-program crawls that may go to air for Nine News on the dirty feed (though when I watched on Monday there were no news crawls on Nine).

I also think they play the program off their own servers rather than off a Nine feed because I saw most segments going to air at different times (slightly earlier) on NBN compared to Nine.

Here’s some side-by-side comparisons of Nine and NBN at times showing different/missing graphics:

8 Likes

Watermark and news comparisons:

6 Likes

I agree, it is just bizarre that a station which calls themselves “Channel Nine” is covering up the 9 News logo.

It’s time NBN pulled their heads out of the sand re 9 News brand. Even Blind Freddie can see the daytime bulletins are called 9 News, NBN are only fooling themselves.

6 Likes

I think it’s good that they run it themselves.
I wish SCA would do this.

We get the 9 News pop ups detailing stories ahead on 9 News (Brisbane) during Hot Seat, here in North QLD, and then those stories nearly always aren’t covered on our own 9 News bulletin.

5 Likes

Their news brand is still NBN News though, it’s only entertainment and general programming which has become Nine branded, and even then there is sometimes an awkwardly shoved-in mention of NBN somewhere.

Pretty sad to see such a unique and cool brand like NBN disappear slowly. Hopefully it lasts a bit longer.

3 Likes

Nah, it’s like a two-headed monster. Kill it, kill it now!

3 Likes

it’s ridiculous.

You have corporate branding as 9|NBN OR NBN News

You have on air branding as “Channel 9” except for this weird 6-7pm thing where it becomes “NBN News”.

On a lot of STBs etc it’s listed as:

8 - NBN Newcastle (Tamworth) etc
80 - 9HD Newcastle (Tamworth) etc
81 - NBN Newcastle (Tamworth) etc

and on others it’s

8 - Nine Newcastle (Tamworth) etc
80 - 9HD Newcastle (Tamworth) etc
81 - Nine Newcastle (Tamworth) etc

It’s the most stupid branding thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

5 Likes

The STB issue is only where viewers haven’t bothered to a rescan.

Though that should become less of a issue from this Friday as a rescan should be done with WIN launching.

3 Likes

not completely true.

Foxtel still lists them as NBN and NBN9HD - with an NBN logo on 100 and just text on 209

2 Likes

All they need to do for now is let the Nine News brand through on national bulletins, but keep the 6pm bulletin as “NBN News”. Then in time retire “NBN News” to “Nine News [market]”.

Literally everything else is branded as Nine, keep NBN News but transition gradually.

2 Likes

It’s been a bit too gradual - it’s been nearly 18 months now since the Nine branding was first introduced.

1 Like

To be fair, that’s something for Foxtel to change…

2 Likes

from what I understand, the broadcasters have to give them that information.

1 Like