Broadcast Facilities

Yes, I’ve read about 6pm metro news promos going out on SC9 (certainly in QLD), featuring stories and presenters that regional viewers won’t see as they have their own news service.

ETA: If NBN use a dirty feed they must certainly get a clean version of Millionnaire Hot Seat, or play it out themselves, as it has no TCN9 news supers. The feed for Central Coast and Gold Coast must be watermark free too (this of course raises the question of what a “clean feed” really is - it means different things in different circumstances).

I suspect TCN still outputs a true clean feed free of commercials and supers, as they’ve done for decades, even if it is rarely used by regionals nowadays.

1 Like

Imparja would probably still use clean feeds of QTQ and TCN for their “North” and “South” main channel services respectively?

FWIW, clean feeds from channel 9 presentation always used to carry Sydney news updates. it was incumbent on the receiving station to edit them out in favour of their own newsbreaks (or in the case of WIN csa’s most of the time)

2 Likes

Nine appears to also provide clean feeds of Gem as we all saw with time-shifted programming on WIN Gem and now with Imparja Gem.

This was posted to Nine (NBN) thread last year:

1 Like

As well as backup feeds on Intelsat 19.

True. I wouldn’t mind getting equipment to pick them up! They have all 5 capital city versions of every channel squeezed on to one transponder up there.

2 Likes

Un-encrypted too according to Lyngsat:
https://www.lyngsat.com/Intelsat-19.html

2 Likes

Tvheadend with a Satellite card should do the job. Thinking getting one myself too :wink:

Then you can watch it on every device :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, TechnoTrend make a card suitable for those feeds, but they’ve just recently jacked the price up. Must be getting popular!

I was using that for a while. Got myself a HD HomeRun recently which does pretty much the same thing without needing a server, but limited to terrestrial only. Works on everything, even remotely on my Android phone.

1 Like

But it’s Multistream which needs a special tuner.

1 Like

Big news.

3 Likes

Very sad for the people involved

3 Likes

This is… not good. Feeling for the BCM staff at the moment.

Wonder how much redundancy will be built into the new system: will a power cut knock out two different networks this time? I’d assume that 7flix will move over from MediaHub at some point too.

3 Likes

Sounds like they are creating a rival company for Media hub. I wonder if Prime would jump across from Media Hub once their contract finishes. In time SCA could even move their Nine regional playout to this new facility.

2 Likes

it’s a department that doesn’t make money I guess, so in every accountant’s mind it’s the best place to save money (and people on here lambashed me for claiming Nine was losing money…)

I hope the new playout system has adequate power back up, otherwise it will be a catastrophe.

I’m sure they will have a UPS and diesel generator backup supply.

1 Like

There will be so mush empty space at BCM… such a great facility too.

1 Like