Nine (NBN)

I think the phasing out of the NBN brand by end of this year has all but been officially confirmed - based on posts in this thread / forum.

Especially since the NBN Television trademark hasn’t been renewed.

4 Likes

I think Neville is a bit confused, oh dear!

9 Likes

Where to begin with that. I feel for (9)NBN’s social media people, I really do.

5 Likes

And I wonder how many people complain to NBNco about TV reception, programs etc.

3 Likes

…and how many people complain to NBN News that they don’t cover much news about the National Broadband Network?! :stuck_out_tongue:

While I do have to feel sorry for the people who run NBN Television’s social media accounts, complaints like the one above are rather amusing!

1 Like

Its amazing how so many get confused but it is funny. Next people will think that the NBN is owned by 9 :wink:.

1 Like

I rest my fucking case that I’ve been banging on about for over a year now, Your Honour.

4 Likes

“poor old bastard has no idea about technology” - a direct quote from a TV industry workmate when he saw the Facebook comment from Neville.

1 Like

Which is about the same level of idea that 9NBN seems to have about branding at the moment.

Guys, Nev got confused. Better toss out fifty odd years of television heritage so the poor old bugger can complain about his internet on the correct Facebook page.

8 Likes

When your TV heritage is limited to a name and a news bulletin, is it really worth salvaging?

2 Likes

You’d be surprised how some people feel about a brand. Just look at how long it took Woolies to rebrand Safeway - they were worried it would lead to a customer backlash.

6 Likes

It’s already taken NEC nearly 10 years to get around to rebranding NBN.

I’m just surprised it’s taken this long.

Many other regional TV brands disappeared long ago.

1 Like

Surely NBN’s current loyal audience would continue to support it’s news service and the station generally if and most likely when they fully rebrand to Nine?

That said, I can understand why it’s taken so long for Nine to actually rebrand it’s Northern NSW TV operations. Unlike the capital cities (where the likes of TCN, GTV, QTQ and so on have always called “Channel Nine” to some extent), NBN has traditionally been a bit more independent from the main metropolitan network and maintained a strong local identity with the NBN name/callsign until fairly recently.

Yep and we all know how well Woolworths are doing at the moment! :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I agree that a rebrand is unlikely to have a major impact on news or other ratings… Their news is watched in Newcastle because it’s the only local bulletin in town.

I guess the reason for not rebranding sooner has been to do with structures. Whilst NEC has owned NBN since 2007, they chose not to integrate into the network at the time, thus leaving it as a virtually an independent company - I do remember reading that NEC only discovered the complexities of regional TV AFTER paying $250 mil for it!

3 Likes

Yes, I agree that a rebrand is unlikely to have a major impact on news or other ratings… Their news is watched in Newcastle because it’s the only local bulletin in town.

I guess the reason for not rebranding sooner has been to do with structures. Whilst NEC has owned NBN since 2007, they chose not to integrate into the network at the time, thus leaving it as a virtually an independent company - I do remember reading that NEC only discovered the complexities of regional TV AFTER paying $250 mil for it!

Correct, it was always run as an affiliate even though it was owned by the network. Now it is being run like an O&O station (in fact run by the same lady who runs QTQ) The branding still needs to catch up - but we will continue to see more behind the scenes and on screen changes until it’s as Nine-eque as QTQ or TCN, is my guess.

3 Likes

More NBN stuff

It seems the voice of NBN Kevin Kellaway is reduced to doing lineups only. I couldn’t find anything else :frowning:

3 Likes

I can’t believe that NBN are still using the old style WWOS Sponsor Billboard that hasn’t been used on Nine for three years now…even the old 2009-12 Sponsor Billboard music (which I’m pretty sure has since been phased out from Nine Sponsor Billboards, even ones for things like Friday Night Football) as well! :open_mouth:

Although I’m pretty sure that it’s another local voiceover artist/radio personality who did that billboard (and the Lineups while Kev is away) - Bob Peters! :wink:

2 Likes

WIN are still using the original GO! Sponsor billboards (with the original logo and the Sharon Muscat song), so it’s not that outrageous!

3 Likes