Nine (NBN)

As a brand, “Nine Northern NSW” wouldn’t really work well on the Gold Coast for obvious reasons.

To me it seems like Nine wants to a consistent brand right up and down the East Coast, while NBN probably wants to retain whatever local identity they have left. Add the Gold Coast & NSW Central Coast with their overlap from nearby metropolitan Nine markets and it all becomes a bit of a pickle.

Personally I think they should consolidate the two Nine Network services in these overlap markets into one so the Gold & Central Coasts are provided with single Nine Network service committed to their market, but realistically I can’t see that happening. The network probably makes more money from their “double dipping” of these overlap markets, local QTQ & TCN management would complain if they lost hundreds of thousands of viewers, people watching at home would complain about no longer having access to their favourite 6pm news service…you get the general idea.

2 Likes

I’m waiting now for how NBN News fared in each sub-market this year. I remember Kenney Heatley’s post on Facebook (which I linked on a proper thread) at the start of the year about his former job winning against NBN News across the ratings game in the North West and North Coast areas last year.

3 Likes

Kenny left in July and with Madelaine going on maternity leave shortly after, it’d be interesting to see if NBN News with their comparatively more stable presenting lineup has experienced improved ratings in the North West/Coast regions during the 2nd half of the year.

Outside of Northern NSW, I’d be particularly interested to know how Nine News’ regional bulletins have performed in their first full year on-air in all markets of Queensland, Southern NSW/ACT and Victoria. Guess we’ll just have to wait for the Prime Media Group to issue their spin for even a vague idea…

2 Likes

That would only happen if Seven/Prime and Ten/WIN agree to do the same, and of course, there’s the argument about who stays/goes.

It MAY happen if/when Seven/Prime and Ten/WIN ever each come under the same ownership, but again, unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

which from memory was wrong. I think he went for 6-6.30. Not a true comparison when the other one goes for an hour

1 Like

Well, there is in the North West against NBN. Probably the way I structured the sentence might be vague. Here’s the link from another thread for proof:

Is NBN broadcast in AEDT on the Gold Coast during daylight savings or do they keep it in AEST?

All NSW stations on the Gold Coast are broadcast in AEST to comply with classification rules.

3 Likes

Yes, and from what I’ve seen in the past, whilst Prime 7 and WIN switch to the QLD feed during DST so that it’s in sync with Brisbane (within a few seconds), NBN effectively delay their own NSW feed by one hour with the exception of live sport and the insertion of some QLD programming e.g. Intrust Super Cup, (meaning that it’s not in sync with Brisbane playout wise). Prime7 still keeps the Sydney news at 6pm QLD time though.

5 Likes

A first for me today…

I saw an electronic billboard in my local shopping centre with an ad for “Married At First Sight” that had the Nine logo on it.

First time I’ve seen any external advertising here in Newcastle that has the Nine logo and not the NBN one!

4 Likes

They are still refering to 9NBN to promote a 9 show.

1 Like

It’s ridiculous… As is still having “NBN Television” as the name of their Facebook page.

1 Like
1 Like

Which is a nice little homage to their main digital TV frequencies in nearby areas

36 = Lower Hunter
28 = Belmont North / Warners Bay
47 = Central Coast
49 = Upper Hunter
12 = Taree / Port Macquarie

Total = 172

:grinning:

Which Mr Stronach probably doesn’t give a rat’s about, he’s too busy looking at how much he can make out of it. He is a property developer after all.

I can still see news production moved to Sydney. Nine would also be looking to squeeze every drop out of Keith’s money too.

2 Likes

Speaking of NBN post-Mosbri Cresent, where are they going to move to?

Will they still produce news bulletins locally? Or move production/presentation to North Sydney with smaller facilities in Newcastle for local reporters, camera crew & sales people? As much as I really hope the latter doesn’t happen, with the media landscape in regional Australia as it is now I wouldn’t be overly surprised if it does.

2 Likes

Sales people are at 18 Honeysuckle.

1 Like

The NBN website address has been changed

Its now 9nbn.com.au and the former nbntv.com.au now redirects to this. Most of the program descriptions now refer to Nine only.

Though down the bottom of that page, it still says NBN Television and all the social feeds eg. Facebook still only refer to NBN, and still don’t incorporate Nine branding either.

There is no longer a built in TV Guide, that section now just redirects to the yourtv.com.au guide.

yourtv.com.au

1 Like

Fixed, thanks