Nine/Fairfax Merger superthread

The merger won’t effect this rule, as radio assets alone in each commercial radio market total 5 voices (or close to) on their own:

Market Voices Total
Sydney ARN, Caralis, EON, Nine/Fairfax, Nova Ent., SCA, Tabcorp
plus Seven West Media, Ten/CBS, News Corp
Melbourne ARN, Crocmedia, Nine/Fairfax, Nova Ent., Racing Victoria, SCA
Brisbane ARN, Nine/Fairfax, Nova Ent., SCA
Adelaide ARN, Nine/Fairfax, Nova Ent., SCA
Perth ARN, Capital/Grants, Nine/Fairfax, Nova Ent., SCA
plus Seven West Media, Ten/CBS

Nine’s Wide World of SportsRadio

2 Likes

Interesting to see what happens with online-only outlets like the Brisbane Times - whether that is operationally folded into Nine completely, maintain separate brands but merged into Nine’s newsgathering operation, or kept completely separate.

Do the ABC and SBS count as a voice?

I’m sure that’ll be the first question the shareholders will be seeking an answer on.

7 Likes

Someone in the background of Sunrise - hinting at what’s to come?

1 Like

Australian consumers will be the big losers out of this. Less media diversity and more concentrated ownership is bad for democracy.

2 Likes

Yes. Given that there are many examples of such happening in the past.

What about Northern NSW where Nine own NBN and Fairfax have the local paper?

1 Like

In Newcastle the voices would be Nine/Fairfax, Prime, WIN, SCA, and Caralis. That exceeds the four required voices. Nine could merge with SCA and there would still be the required four.

Market Voices Total
Newcastle SCA, Caralis
plus WIN, Prime, Nine/Fairfax
Taree Caralis
plus WIN, Prime, Nine/Fairfax
Coffs Harbour SCA, Caralis
plus WIN, Prime, Nine/Fairfax, News Corp
Tamworth Caralis
Lismore Caralis

Fairfax will own 48.9 per cent of the new company with Nine owning 51 per cent according to the ABC

No news corp paper in Tamworth

True, especially given Nine Entertainment chairman is former Federal Treasurer Peter Costello who still has links with the Liberal Party. Journalists at the Fairfax papers should be worried that they will be forced to change their tone in their reports concerning federal politics and reduce criticism of the Federal Government.

1 Like

I despair at what this means for all the small country newspapers. I hope it’s a vote of confidence in them and the start of a turnaround where instead of walking towards a slow and painful death, they can come back to life. Attract and retain the best staff. And more effectively be a voice for their communities.

5 Likes

Apologies - counted the Northern Daily Leader as a News Corp publication for some reason

Be interesting to see whether Nine can leverage Fairfax’s excellent Federal and State reporters into their news content.

So maybe Peter Hartcher can replace Miranda Devine on Today Show’s “What’s Making News?” etc. Would Kate McClymont work as a 60 Minutes reporter utilising her amazing contacts?

I still think Nine could be considering a News/Talk channel to replace 9Gem. This now could work.

What does this mean for the Australian News Channel (wholly owned by rival News Corp) and Nine’s new Your Money channel?

And while we’re on it, off topic but I’m hearing rumours Ten is rebranding ONE soon too.

1 Like

So, Peter Costello is in Karl Stefanovic’s earpiece feeding him the questions when he interviews Turnbull? Yeah, right!

Probably nothing, I think. Fairfax has long been rumoured to be shutting down the print versions of their newspapers anyway.

Wow! Massive news!

1 Like