Nine Entertainment Co

Let’s hope not!

Are there any released plans for NBN’s relocation into Newcastle CBD? Namely concerning studio space?

1 Like

The suggestion that post-3pm bulletins will be presented from Studio A (AKA, the North Sydney equivalent to Studio 22) is an interesting one - a multipurpose space for Today, Nine News post-3pm and A Current Affair? As a notable omission from the document, I wonder whether Nine’s Morning News would be presented from Studio A or B after the move.

How often does Nine do forum-style presentations for ACA & 60 Minutes these days?

Gold Telethon is probably more likely to be presented from somewhere like Fox Studios at Moore Park (where there’d be more space to do elaborate stunts, etc.) than 1 Denison Street? Of course presuming that the televised portion of the appeal will still be going after the move, but since it’s been going for 10 years and does a lot to help Nine Sydney look like a good corporate citizen, I can’t imagine them dumping it in the foreseeable future.

Possibly…although I wonder how Northern NSW/Gold Coast viewers would feel about the possibility of their popular Jane Goldsmith-lead weekend bulletins being replaced by Sydney-centric bulletins read by Deborah Knight (possibly Mark Burrows, if Nine have decided they want Deb to move on from news by then) on Saturdays and Peter Overton on Sundays?

2 Likes

An option for weekends could be a pre-recorded local window of news and sport inserted in place of a block of Sydney news (say after the first ad break at about 6:20). Kind of like what Darwin used to have, except be read in Sydney. It wouldn’t have to be read by the 6pm presenter.

Interesting developments.
One would hope that these studios are still fairly sized, although I doubt they’re as big as the current Today studio for example.

Weekend Today and daytime/evening sports programming also omitted.

Five studios seems like overkill to me. They need a separate space for regional news but Seven has managed to do the rest out of a single studio for the last 15 years (aside from the daytime/evening sports stuff which isn’t mentioned anywhere by Nine).

A big multipurpose space downstairs complimented by a simple news set in the newsroom upstairs would be better than having all these random spaces. But we shall see.

5 Likes

Is this the final report?

It’s part of a development application to install the internal structure of the studios.

Surely they could lump Today Extra into the main Today set?

1 Like

Very short sighted of Nine not to have studio space for regular general entertainment programming. If, in the future, they want to do a weekly talk or variety show they’ll have to rent studio space and production facilities from an outside provider like Fox Studios?

1 Like

Yep, last week.

3 Likes

Most likely merging staf with the AGE

Possibly cheaper than maintaining their own studio space?

1 Like

Agreed. None of the networks are keeping studio space in their new buildings except for news. Why pay to maintain staff for a general use studio that you won’t always use when you can go to places like Fox Studios or Docklands Studios and use their spaces as you need.

1 Like

Interesting that the ABC bucked that trend with the new studious in Melbourne.

The ABC also has multiple television studios (including large production facilities with space for studio audiences, etc.) at Ultimo?

Although it has to be said that those cases are probably different because the ABC likely produces far more content in-house than the commercial networks do.

That’s true about Ultimo, though it dates back a bit more than Southbank I think. I know a season of Rove Live was done out of Ripponlea, perhaps there’s commercial incentive for the ABC along with Docklands and Fox Studios.

1 Like

Which they may contract out to other networks or production companies if needed

1 Like

Seven built their own studios when they moved to Redfern (a little while ago now to be fair).

Their situation is a little different though with the corporate/production headquarters being separate to their news operation.

2 Likes

Seven has studios there in addition to the NEP studios?

1 Like