Nine Entertainment Co

Old movies in B&W on an HD simulcast channel

3 Likes

Sydney (and I presume, also Melbourne) has 9GemHD and the reconfigured LCNs today.

UPDATE: Well, at least we did briefly. Back to the old configuration now.

Another update: …and now 9GemHD and the reconfigured LCNs are back!

4 Likes

Old movies even in b&w can be in HD

1 Like

All this is happening because NPC are changing the Head-End, partly I believe in Prep for 7 to move to NPC about the end of this month.

LCN 95 is a placeholder at the moment for a soon coming new channel.

5 Likes

9Gem HD, or something else?

Interesting how the reconfiguration has gone in Melbourne
9 - Channel 9 Melbourne
90 - 9HD Melbourne
91 - Channel 9 Melbourne
92 - 9Gem Melbourne
94 - 9Life Melbourne
95 - 9Gem HD Melbourne
99 - 9Go! Melbourne

Nothing on LCN 93

3 Likes

The feed on LCN-95 (at least in Sydney) is now in native HD:

Not the most shining example of HD programming I know, but at least you can see the PRG in its full resolution…

8 Likes

Stoked to finally see another broadcaster with more than 1 HD channel.
I wonder if Nine could find a way to broadcast 9Go! in MPEG4 HD too?

4 Likes

I reckon they should just change it to MPEG-4 HD like Viceland. Old MPEG-2 viewers would still get 3 channels and important sports programming wouldn’t be affected.

3 Likes

I’d also like to see 9Go! changed to MPEG4 HD, although I suspect Nine will wait and see how the launch (or return) of 9GemHD in MPEG4 goes before potentially switching other multichannels over.

Either way, probably the next question that comes to mind is this: How long do we think it’ll be before Nine starts promoting the launch (or return) of 9GemHD in the metro markets?

4 Likes

It would have been good to see them place 9Gem HD on 92 and move the SD simulcast down to 95+, or even put 9Gem HD on 91 to keep the HD channels together and move Nine SD to 99. It would also make Nine the first channel you come across when scrolling up on the EPG.

3 Likes

The switch over to HD also occurred in SEQ. Since this morning when mostly infomercials had been broadcast the bit rate has been cut back to 3.9 with the SD channel running at 2.5.
9HD is 5.1
9Go 2.3
9Life 2.7
9/91 2.9

2 Likes

Not sure if I really like that idea, Nine SD being removed from “9” makes absolutely no sense and the complaints from viewers would probably be something extraordinary.

Even having a duplicate of Nine SD on LCN-99 isn’t something I agree with, because I personally think we should be eliminating duplicate LCNs.

1 Like

No, I meant removing it from 91. They should definitely keep it on 9 and if they want a simulcast in the 9x range they should put it after the multi’s.

90 9HD
91 9Gem HD
92 9Gem
93 …
99 Nine

2 Likes

A bit of a shame that they’ve waited until the cricket World Cup is half over before launching 9Gem HD. Oh well.

Hopefully other networks will soon follow with 7mate HD and 10Bold HD. Will then mean Adelaide and Perth can have 7HD on a full time basis then.

3 Likes

To be fair to Nine, they probably wouldn’t have had much time to get 9Gem HD up and running between the closure of Your Money and the start of the Cricket World Cup. At least it’s on for the finals and presumably, The Ashes from England come August.

2 Likes

If 9Gem being in HD is merely a placeholder for a TBA new channel (as RFBurns suggesting it is), doubt it’ll be promoted for anything bar perhaps coverage of the World Cup finals and The Ashes (if it’s still running in August)

2 Likes

I guess so, but wouldn’t it have made more sense for Nine to keep the seat warm by running a “Your Money has ceased transmission. Stay tuned for an exciting new channel coming soon to the Nine Network” placeholder card rather than introducing 9Gem HD after running a black screen on LCN-95 for a month?

Either way, I think we can agree that Nine having two MPEG4 HD channels is a step in the right direction. If a new channel from Nine is eventually launched, I personally hope it’ll be MPEG4 HD rather than the blurry, pixelated mess that used to be Extra & Your Money in MPEG2 SD.

1 Like

All I know ATM is LCN 95 is now ready for upcoming sport, with a supposed new channel, which will be announced at a later time.

6 Likes

I am impressed with what 9 have done so far, even if 9GemHD is onyl temporary but i am hoping at least this new channel will bring me my beloved Ashes cricked in High definition with these new changes. :slight_smile:

1 Like