Nine Entertainment Co

The deal of a lifetime for CBS - only made possible by the network being deliberately run into the ground to devalue it first, and leveraging their own position as a creditor to minimise the cash cost.

Nine and Seven haven’t been asset striped to the extent of Ten - there’s enough added value in their talent and non-broadcast assets (especially web properties for Nine) to make them worth orders of magnitude more than Ten was.

I would still bet on the obvious- Southern Cross Austereo and Nine, in some form or another.

5 Likes

not true. Ten’s loan facility was not due for payment until December, it only went into administration because the guarantors of the loan saw an opportunity to acquire a rare commodity (a FTA TV license in 5 cap cities) with one of four options. They chose the fourth, and riskiest, move which actually worked to nullify their stranglehold as shareholders because shares became worthless overnight.

2 Likes

Nine Network bought out by drum roll…maybe Bruce Gordons WIN?? :wink:

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Winten Property Group has dumped Grocon as the builder of the Nine headquarters in North Sydney after Grocon failed meet a deadline to lodge a bond with Winten. I’m guessing this may delay construction?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/grocon-contract-to-build-200m-north-sydney-tower-terminated/news-story/75d3ac6acbb7f44432cb71d42d7e9132

3 Likes

Lendlease has lodged an updated application for the former GTV9 site at Richmond. The amended application seeks to scale up the development, increasing the height of some buildings from six to nine storeys and with a focus on retirement and aged care accommodation.

Isn’t that what the Nine Network is anyway? :joy:

5 Likes

No 3AW has the old farts.

Maybe add 2SM to that too.

1 Like

Nine Entertainment this morning reported a 55 per cent jump in net profit in its half-yearly result, thanks to strong showing by 9Now and Stan.

• Revenue up by 9% to $720 million
  • Group EBITDA up by 51% to $181 million
  • Net profit after tax up by 55% to $116 million

9Now’s revenue was up by almost 90% compared to the corresponding period, from $9.8 million to $18.2 million. 9Now now claims a registered user base of around five million.

Also, NEC won the telco and media category in the iTnews Benchmark Awards for its innovative work on 9Galaxy. The awards were held at Grand Hyatt Melbourne on Tuesday night.

Good to see a media company growing revenue. Hopefully they can keep debt under control.

3 Likes

Nine has appointed Matt Granger as director of sales – sport. Granger previously held senior sales roles, including commercial director, for Australian Radio Network (ARN) for the past six years. He replaces Sam Brennan, who was promoted last year to director of sales – Melbourne, leading Nine’s sales operation across the city.

Staying in a high rise in Docklands in Melbourne on holidays at the moment, and from my bedroom window I’ve noticed this is parked outside some wearhouse.

What is it? And any ideas what it’s doing there?

3 Likes

That’s Docklands studios. Studio 5 (the closest to the trailer) is the one that Nine have on permanent lease where they film Hotseat and the AFL Footy Show. The trailer would have been used for the AFL Footy Show last night.

5 Likes

The truck and equipment is an NEP truck but covered with 9 logos as its permanent as mentioned above.

How cool is that? Of all the hotel rooms you could have stayed in, it’s the one overlooking something of total interest.

11 Likes

It wouldn’t be that uncommon.

I’ve stayed in one at Southbank where I could see the ABC Melbourne studios.

And in Sydney where I could see the 2CH AWA Tower whilst in the CBD, or at Chatswood with a birds eye view of the transmitters at Artarmon, Gore Hill and Willoughby.

2 Likes

That’s so awesome! Thanks.
Wish I’d spotted it a bit earlier, I would’ve looked down there for any activity while the AFL Footy Show was on

1 Like

Yeah, it’s really cool. I can see the 7 Melbourne/BCM building outside the lounge room windows and the Dockland studios outside the bedroom windows.

4 Likes

OnAir/Luke will be over shortly.

7 Likes