Nickelodeon (formerly 10Shake)

We might as well change affiliation here in the Riverland since we don’t have much to do with WIN anymore since they scrapped our local news

I reckon it’s a bit of both.

As things stand now, WIN’s DVB-T multiplexes are pretty well full to the brim between WIN SD/HD, BOLD, Peach, TVSN, GOLD + Sky News on WIN. They’d likely have to remove a channel to fit Shake into their lineup.

Last I checked, all commercial TV in the Riverland is owned & operated by WIN - Seven & Nine just provide the programming for the complimentary services/networks. Unless you’re exclusively an ABC or SBS viewer, you’re having something to do with WIN.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Who is honestly surprised that WIN has decided not to carry 10 Shake (well, WIN Shake or “Shake” as they’d likely brand the channel as) especially in the currently difficult media environment?

Obviously they prefer ‘screaming nutjob news’ over the new channel.

5 Likes

Not really - Seven manage to fit in eight channels and you could probably go further, so adding another SD to WIN’s multiplex would be possible.

This will be a commercial decision - WIN won’t be able to sell significantly more ads if any from carrying it. Though maybe depending on the metro ratings they might revisit.

It would make a lot of sense in my view for WIN to take Shake for the time up until 6pm and Peach through the evening - as I can see Shake’s kids content rating really well.

4 Likes

Except that WIN HD, Sky News on WIN, TVSN & GOLD are all MPEG4 channels, so that gives them extra capacity over TEN Metro who only have TEN HD in MPEG 4.

The WIN MPEG 2 Channels have higher bitrates than the TEN metro equivalents generally, using up the extra capacity, if they reconfigured things & put WIN Shake as MPEG 4 too, they should still be able to fit it in with reasonable bitrates on the SD MPEG 2 Channels.

All regional networks have more MPEG 4 channels than the metros, & they usually have higher bitrates on all channels over the metros, so in that case, the regionals are better quality than the metros & I don’t know why it’s like that, maybe the metros aren’t willing to risk it, & alienate a higher number of viewers who don’t have MPEG 4 capable TV’s?

WIN currently have 7 channels with 4 of them MPEG 4, TEN metro will also have 7 channels when Shake starts, & assuming it will be MPEG 2, it’s going to be more crammed than WIN & the bitrates are going to have to take a big hit in quality to fit it, as they’ll have 6 x MPEG 2 & 1 x MPEG 4, to WIN’s 3 x MPEG 2 & 4 x MPEG 4 channels, (without Shake).

3 Likes

From all accounts, WIN had been really struggling to sell ads before Covid - can’t imagine its got any better. I know you could get some decent value on the ad buy with WIN in some markets

It will be interesting to see what WIN do if 10 start using 10 Shake to meet any content quotas

1 Like

They would have contracts in place.

There isn’t the ad dollars to make it viable.

Could explain why we have so many out of region ads in the Riverland, using the ads from places like Cairns and Griffith to fill in gaps

It must deliver a decent return, cause the service is pretty lacklustre

1 Like

It should be on 10Play then you’d assume…

Geez i hope so
Because of stupid win in regional areas, i have to use 10 play
Shoulda sacrificed tvsn or EVEN BETTER win gold for shake!

2 Likes

SNOW would more than make up for that I think. WIN using it on their Nine mux in Griffith and SA to offset the lack of 9Life suggests it.

4 Likes

Does Alan Jones’ show count as first run drama? :wink:

6 Likes

I have tried to find the 10 channels on 10play but for the life of me cant find them?

1 Like

https://10play.com.au/live/ten

1 Like

Thanks for that, strange I can watch them on my lap top but on my Samsung and Fetch apps no go?

What LCN is Sky News on in those markets?

50 GEM
54 Sky News on WIN
55 GO!

1 Like

10Play has had a facelift to go with the announcement it seems