News Corp Australia

The NT News today became the first of six regional papers to introduce the freemium subscription model. It is similar to the packages available on The Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, The Courier-Mail and The Advertiser but with the inclusion of free delivery of weekend papers.
A paywall will also be introduced on the websites of Townsville Bulletin, Geelong Advertiser, Gold Coast Bulletin, The Cairns Post and The Hobart Mercury.

1 Like

The News Corp Australia website correctly, I think, refers to the four Tasmanian and Northern Territorian papers as metro not regional as they are based in the capital cities Hobart and Darwin. I wonder why the story you sourced this from has downgraded them to regional??

Probably because those areas are classed as regional for radio and TV.

PANPA - Pacific Area Newspaper Publishers’ Association - categorises NT News as regional when they have their awards.

Interesting, I know Darwin is small compared to the “big 5”, but still. It’s a capital city. It’s 200 thousand people. It has different TV and radio stations from the rest of the NT.

It seems to tick a lot of the boxes for being a capital city… unless it’s because the NT is a territory and not a state?

It’s not quite that big and…Canberra is bigger, Newcastle is bigger, Wollongong is bigger. etc.

I think it is to do with market size and economics. Darwin is a small market, even though it’'s a capital city.

In the first tier you would have 1 million+ markets: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide.

In the second tier you would have 500k + markets: Gold Coast, Newcastle, Canberra

In the third tier you would have 150k+ markets: Cairns, Townsville, Darwin, Geelong etc

It makes sense that the NT News is grouped in with titles from those smaller cities.

2 Likes

I honestly think the TV writers at News Corp (most are from the Herald Sun) are just terrible…

Certainly the national editor Tiffany Dunk.

I do like Colin Vickery, Leigh Paatsch (who reviews movies) & Cameron Adams (who does more music than TV these days). They’re analysis is much less opinionated and to the point.

I think Holly Byrnes (Daily Telegraph), Andrew Bucklow & Charlotte Willis (news.com.au), Andrew Fenton, Shannon Molloy & Neala Johnson are all bad.
They all seem to never just tell the story, but add their own 2 cents worth and in typical News Corp fashion - tabloid.

Graeme Blundell (The Australian) is a legend though, he’s articles are worth a read.

IMO, Fairfax (The Age / Sydney Morning Herald) has a MUCH surperior TV team :+1:

(Scott Ellis, Michael Lallo, Melinda Houston, Sarah Thomas, Debbie Enker, Scott Murray & Craig Matheson).

I’m sure many members of MediaSpy read online and/or print articles from Australia’s newspapers, any thoughts?

I think you’ll find a some of those journos have moved on from those roles.

1 Like

Which ones? I believe they’re all still TV writers (as I’ve read articles from most of them this year), but could be wrong.

do you have any examples of these?

1 Like

Aren’t reviews supposed to be opinionated?

1 Like

Former Herald Sun reporter Kelly Ryan has died of lung cancer at just 54. She worked for The Sun then the Herald Sun for 25 years, mainly as court reporter and police reporter, but also covered the Australian Open tennis for a long period.

1 Like

[quote]Daily Telegraph columnist, Annette Sharp is moving off the newspaper’s Instagram and celebrity TV section, Sydney Confidential.

The one-time Nine Network publicist is being retired from these pages, ostensibly to write features.

[/quote]

It was about time they put that bitter old cow out to pasture. :joy:

1 Like

Yes, I must say that it’s good to see one of the more dodgy News Corp “journalists” step aside…

1 Like

I seem to recall that her gossip column in The Sun-Herald many years ago wasn’t as harsh.

Trolls become bitter and twisted with age. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Her attacks on people like Sam Armytage just drew ridicule and disgust.

2 Likes

Indeed. She did just come across as a troll by that stage. Then her attack on Jesinta Campbell (who was standing by fiancee Buddy Franklin) backfired badly was probably the final straw for her employer. She’s been under the radar since then.

1 Like