News Corp Australia

Excellent example - the problem being the broadcasters were too cautious in describing what they were seeing and the likelihood of what had happened, preferring to focus on the fact this was simply an accident and the resulting vision looked at now is just ridiculous; strained and far-fetched.

It’s an example because there were many eyewitness accounts (a bomb at the State Department, a third plane crashing into the towers) which were erroneous.

Almost every outlet (except Bryant Gumble on CBS) concluded it was terror after the second impact. Their relative disbelief was because a terror attack like that wasn’t a thing before 2001.

Anyways, we’re 60 comments into this discussion. I firmly think you’ve lost, so I’m going to leave it at that :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re telling me I’m wrong because of 9/11 tin-foil hat theories. If anyone has lost, it’s definitely you. :joy:

In any case, the only people losing out are news consumers who actually expect words to accurately describe what they’re seeing unfold.

Well, considering London witnessed a terror attack just two months before in which a vehicle mowed down pedestrians on a bridge, there was no need for disbelief here. And certainly not after the occupants jumped out of the vehicle and started hacking at people…

Thanks for the discussion.

Excuse me? What was tinfoil? I only noted that there was significant confusion in the first hours of 9/11, with lots of inaccurate reporting, which has quite rightly informed news organisations to take a more nuanced approach to breaking news.

I resent you trying to depict me as a conspiracy theorist (I accept the official narrative), and I want an apology.

Wrap it up there folks.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: General News Events

Wow - what a way to trivialise two tragic events for the sake of a Facebook post. Disgraceful really.

1 Like

It also appeared in the NZ Herald.

Former Sunrise EP Adam Boland has quit as NewsDNA (Digital Networks Australia) head of video after just nine months. Mumbrella reports he left the company to join his partner in Canberra, who had relocated for work. Boland is now the head of digital video of the newly formed Media Holding Group.

Veteran photographer Wayne Ludbey is finishing work with the Herald Sun this week, a victim of News Corp’s job cuts. Today’s AFL match between Richmond and Carlton was his last event as press photographer and there was a report on Seven News Melbourne tonight:

Ludbey’s colleague George Salpigtidis also shot his last AFL game for the paper last night.

Sad day today with 70 staff photographers officially leaving News Corp, including veterans Gregg Porteous and Mark Evans from The Daily Telegraph, in addition to the two Herald Sun cameramen mentioned above. News Corp will outsource most of its photography work to AAP, which has listed 66 former News Corp photographers as preferred suppliers.
Sports journalist Barry Toohey also left the Daily Telegraph today after 34 years with the paper.
The end of an era in more ways than one.

He’s an accountant for well-known celebrities like Michael Clarke and a socialite. Mostly known for competing in the Sydney to Hobart yacht races every year and being married to a television presenter and previously dating other ones.

I love the current TV campaign for the Daily Telegraph. Whatever you may think of the paper itself, I love the rawness, harshness and emphasis on hard-nose journos (in stark contrast to the warmer and slicker TV news promos).

Imagine a Nine, Seven or Ten news that decided to focus in on its reporters, warts and all

(^ was the only Youtube I could find)

There’s a version for every paper I think. There’s also a national version (with appearances from someone in each newspaper) for airing on Fox Sports.

Really effective.

1 Like

News Corp’s weekly cars liftout will be simply known as Motoring from today with a brand new layout. Up until last week it was called CarsGuide. It is part of News Corp’s new partnership with Carsales auto classifieds website, after the media giant sold its 55% stake in CarsGuide to US-owned Cox Automotive last year.

The Australian sports reporter Margie McDonald quit the paper last Wednesday after 16 years. McDonald left on the same night as Queensland won the State of Origin series and she was presented with a Maroons jersey. She plans to cover NRL matches and various sports for other media outlets.

The Sun newspaper in 1984:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpXu-8z0TOw

Source: Australian Television Archive

Dynasty’s Linda Evans. The Sun looks at her lives and loves.”

Even then covering the big stories :stuck_out_tongue:

… and petrol is 47.5 cents a litre!

1 Like

The Australian reports that Julie Hare is leaving after editing the higher education section for seven years to take a Canberra-based role within KPMG’s education unit. And next month surfing editor and online producer Fred Pawle, who has clocked up three stints at the paper over 25 years, is joining former Weekend ­Australian editor Nick Cater at the Menzies Research Centre as ­communications director.

Does anybody know these people? I have no idea who these people are, so reporting every departure and arrival at newspapers is pointless. Is this interesting to anyone?

2 Likes

Yes!