Newcastle - Survey 2, 2021

http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Major%20Regional/GfK_Summary-Report-Newcastle_Survey-2-2021.pdf?ext=.pdf

2 Likes

Triple M remains on top with 18.7%, up 0.4% from the previous survey, followed by Hit at 14.9%, unchanged from last survey. JJJ is not very far behind Hit at 14.3% (+0.6), followed by ABC Newcastle at 9.5% (+0.1), whilst NewFM fell 1.6% to land at 9.4%. 2HD remained steady at 6.1%.

In the demos, Hit is #1 in the 10-17s & 25-39s, with JJJ topping the 18-24s. Whilst Triple M is #1 in the 40-54s (as well as the 55-64s), JJJ is #2 in that same demo, 0.3% ahead of 3rd-placed Hit, whilst New fell 4.4% to a distant 4th. ABC Newcastle is #1 in the 65+.

At breakfast, Triple M’s Tanya & Steve remain on top with 20%, followed by JJJ’s Bryce & Ebony at 13.9%, Hit’s Nick, Jess & Ducko at 13.5%, and ABC Newcastle’s Jenny Marchant & Dan Cox with 12.7%. At drive, JJJ’s Hobba & Hing is #1 with 20.2%, followed by Hit’s Carrie & Tommy with 17.9% & Triple M’s Molloy with 17.7%.

The “Other Stations” ratings is 20.8%, up from 20.4% in the previous survey.

3 Likes

So much for commentary here about New FM sounding better…

1 Like

Triple J could very well be the No.1 station for the under 40s.

It’s scary when the ABC understands music better than the commercial stations.

4 Likes

I thought at the time when others wrote that, that I wasn’t so sure, yes NEW FM has changed somewhat, but I don’t think for the better, it was a good mix of old & new, & probably with some good promotion it could’ve made a dent in the Triple M & Hit ratings, but now it’s I don’t know what you’d say it is, it’s not Rock, not CHR, not Classic Hits, not R&B, who knows, & some of the songs they’ve been playing, well I guess the ratings explain that. I’ve found myself going back to 2NUR FM often or 2HD & Coast FM Gosford while I’m working at home, I’m finding TSL of NEW FM is now very short for me.

2 Likes

In the combined 18-39 ratings, that is certainly true.

JJJ: 31.2%
Hit: 29.7%

If you broaden it to 10-39, JJJ is narrowly beaten by Hit by just 0.1%.

2 Likes

And I could be wrong as I am not mathematician but does it matter that the 18-24 demo contains seven ages but the 25-39 year group contains 15 different ages?

I have always wondered if the under 40s would give more of a weighting for the 25 - 39s.

1 Like

Stations that sound better don’t always win the ratings, it’s such a subjective thing.

4 Likes