Newcastle - Survey 1, 2023

https://www.commercialradio.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Major%20Regional/GfK_Summary-Report-Newcastle_Survey-1-2023.pdf?ext=.pdf

1 Like

Triple M maintains its top position with 22%, up a whopping 5.0 from the previous survey. This is followed by Hit with 15.8% (+2.8), JJJ with 9.6% (-3.3), New FM with 8.9% (Steady), ABC Newcastle with 7.8% (-0.2) & 2HD with 7.3% (-0.9).

In the demos, Hit is #1 in the under-40s, with Triple M winning the 40-64s & ABC Newcastle topping the 65+.
In breakfast, Triple M’s Tanya & Steve is #1 with 20.9% (+0.9), followed by Hit’s Nick, Jess & Ducko with 17.5% (+5.5). ABC Newcastle’s Jenny Marchant & Dan Cox, and JJJ’s Bryce & Concetta both tied with 10.8% (+0.3 & -1.5 respectively), whilst in drive, Triple M’s The Rush Hour dominate with 23% (+7.2), followed by Hit’s Carrie & Tommy with 18.5% (+0.7).

The “Other Stations” ratings this survey is 24.5%, down 1.7 from last survey.

4 Likes

These results for Triple M and Hit are what @MarkHD must have been referring to as an ‘amazing day’ for SCA.

2 Likes

Triple M up 5% (and 2% on the Gold Coast) is what happens when you program for the local market. It’s a shame the provinicial stations inflict garbage like Ed Sheeran on the rest of the regional network.

4 Likes

yep, we had the results a bit earlier than the 9.30 release to the public.

I haven’t been able to get there today as I’m working for Hunter Water as well, but I’m told the team is absolutely stoked.

2 Likes

So… “100% local winners”, “As local as” and “only 100% local drive show” is not really doing too much for NewFM.

As I keep saying, music & programming strategy always wins over just being local. Otherwise, we’d have every community radio station be number one in each market.

5 Likes

Yes a good result for SCA. What have they done differently since November 22? Do they take have their own music log? I know the music has not changed much since then on the regional SCA stations.

1 Like

Both identical logs to Hit 101.3 and Triple M CC, weak competition. Also Triple J is so off the boil, at one stage they were a threat to Hit 106.9 now struggling everywhere.

7 Likes

Triple M - largest share since a 22.0 S3/2004
ABC Newcastle - smallest share since a 7.8 in S3/2002

6 Likes

Happening nationally, maybe listeners are getting sick of them being the propagandists for Labor and the Greens?

4 Likes

… Which is odd considering Labor is in power in most of the country …

2 Likes

I find the ABC is more closer to the Greens then Labor

3 Likes

Which may explain why they are no longer everyone’s ABC.

4 Likes

I’m generally a Labor voter but find the ABC too far left on social issues. Some people use the term woke, although I’m not a fan of the term, but I can’t think of a better one. I can’t even watch ABC TV news anymore. ABC have forgotten people vote Labor for a variety of reasons (including just wanting to get/keep the alternative out), and it doesn’t mean listeners automatically agree with certain social agendas… Sorry to get too political, but I think it’s part of ABC’s woes.

4 Likes

Completely agree, the ABC use to be more balanced in the past but as I call it gone Woke. Brianc68 is right they have gone to the extreme left on certain social agendas which can be very jarring.

“Go Woke and go Broke “ doesn’t apply to the ABC as they are financed by tax payers dollars, but they are loosing audience in all the major markets except the ACT which a Labor stronghold.

Maybe if they changed their tune and became more impartial the audience may return. The BBC is much more balanced in their views.

I find the ABC and particularly Q&A excruciating to watch but I am more right leaning.

4 Likes

[quote=“Ant5476, post:15, topic:22138, full:true”]

BBC is definitely more balanced.

4 Likes

BBBC = Balanced British Broadcasting Corporation :grin:

5 Likes

I could not agree more. I’ve always been more of a swing voter, Labor or Liberal but lately more Labor and I can’t stand the ABC with their far left views. Also they seem to push it down your throat. A balanced station would awesome.

4 Likes

Also all the presenters at the ABC are lefties except for David Speers formerly from Sky News.

3 Likes

Please don’t google BBBC…

4 Likes