Newcastle - Survey 1, 2022

http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Major%20Regional/GfK_Summary-Report-Newcastle_Survey-1-2022.pdf?ext=.pdf

3 Likes

Triple M remains on top with 17.1%, down 0.3% from last survey. This was followed by sister station Hit 106.9 with 13.9% (-2.0), JJJ with 11.7% (+0.5), ABC Newcastle with 9.2% (+1.2), 2HD with 8.1% (+1.1) & New FM with 7.8% (-0.7).

In the demos, JJJ wins the 18-39s, whilst Triple M tops the 40-64s & 2HD wins the 65+.

In breakfast, Triple M’s Tanya & Steve wins the slot with 19.5%, followed by Hit’s Nick, Jess & Ducko with 13.4%, ABC Newcastle’s Jenny Marchant & Dan Cox with 11.4%, and JJJ’s Bryce & Ebony with 9.4%. New FM’s The Novos could only manage 5.7%, only 0.5% ahead of RN’s Patricia Karvelas! :flushed:

In drive, Triple M’s Rush Hour was #1 with 17.7%, followed by Hit’s Carrie & Tommy with 16.3%, and JJJ’s Hobba & Hing with 15.3%.

The “Other Stations” ratings is at 24.7%, down from 25.9% in the previous survey.

3 Likes

Some really weird numbers in the 18-24’s so not sure on the accuracy of those & that puts in doubt (in my mind) all of the others.

2HD at 4 when previous was *, Triple M is down 11.4 (what have they done to lose that big?), NEW FM is up 10.1 (again what have they done to gain that much?), Hit’s down 7, Triple J hasn’t really gained or lost anything at up 0.5, Radio National or RN has picked up 0.3 from *, & the real strange one, Classic FM has picked up 1.3 from *.

A big chunk of the “Other Stations” would be for 2NUR FM, there may be some for 2NM & Power FM in the upper licence area & Maitland, but I do know quite a few people around Lake Macquarie listen to CoastFM Gosford, (they often ring in for competitions).

4 Likes

It’s the evenings that makes me laugh. New down 6 but Radio National up 5.3.

Please.

4 Likes

Interesting to see New up in the 18-24 but down in their key demos. I’ve noticed a (much needed and good) change to their music in recent weeks which signals they could be trying to skew a little younger?

The fact New is down during the week but up on weekends (slightly) signals to me that the weekday talent aren’t cutting through?

Hit brekkie is steady - they’ve got a great product there! And of course, Triple M still reigning supreme. I feel the MMMs brekkie will be like this until at least one of them leave. I can’t see that changing, no matter how hard the other stations try.

JJJs doing really well in Newcastle too!

2 Likes

7.1 for New FM is its poorest showing since S3/2010

4 Likes

Why doesn’t New try something different? They need to do something to break the SCA duopoly. Why don’t they try a Smooth or (new) 2day format? That’s the gap in Newcastle. They need to position themselves between Triple M and Hit.

2 Likes

Triple Ms music has been terrific. There’s no competition with steve and tanya they are superb.

1 Like

Its only going to get worse.

1 Like

New is run by 2 monkeys… they’ll never be able to recover in the ratings after they destroyed there only decent breakfast show last year. Now another change to the show… the pd is very inexperienced & the gm destroyed the station once before and is clearly doing it again…

4 Likes

I’ve heard from past and present employees, that they share this view on the GM and PD. Toxic workplace by the sounds

3 Likes