Newcastle - Survey 1, 2021

http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Major%20Regional/GfK_SummaryReport_Newcastle_S1-2021.pdf?ext=.pdf

4 Likes

Triple M is still leading with 18.3%, up 0.6% from last year, followed by Hit 106.9, who went up 2.4% to 14.9%. JJJ was 3rd with 13.7%, up 2.3%, followed by New FM with 11%, up 0.4%. ABC Newcastle went up 0.5% to 9.4%, whilst 2HD fell 1.7% to 6.1%.

In the demos, Hit is #1 in the under-25s, with JJJ topping the 25-39s, Triple M dominating in the 40-64s & ABC Newcastle winning the 65+.

Triple M’s Steve & Tanya is #1 in breakfast with 20.3%, followed by Hit’s Nick, Jess & Ducko with 14.1%, JJJ’s Bryce & Ebony with 13.3% & ABC Newcastle’s Jenny Marchant & Dan Cox with 13.2%. JJJ’s Michael & Lewis is #1 in drive with 18.2%, followed closely by Hit’s Carrie & Tommy with 17.9%, and Triple M’s Molloy with 17.4%. Sarah McDonald & Philip Clark on ABC Newcastle is #1 in evenings.

The “Other Stations” share is at 20.4%, down from 25.3% last year.

3 Likes

Interesting, 2HD & NEW could do better with invesrment from Caralis.

106.9 breakfast has had a jump, interesting to see if that can be sustained for the following two surveys.

ABC Newcastle does well at breakfast and then the awful statewide content out of Newcastle suffers.

2 Likes

NEW FM is up and getting closer, Triple J is not far off surpassing HIT.

2HD is shocking though. 6% of the audience in a smallish market is a bit embarrassing really, it isn’t even really considered a good share in Sydney.

4 Likes

2HD can thank John Laws, as without him their results would have been a lot worse.

2 Likes

Amazing how well SCA performs when they know how to program for the market they’re broadcasting to…

New FM no longer a laughing stock. I suspect 2HD pulls a higher share than what 2SM does.

4 Likes

Largest share for New FM since S3/2002, and the largest share ever recorded for JJJ here - its previous best was a 12.5 in 2019.
On the flip side, 2HD’s 6.1 is its smallest share ever.

5 Likes

Good result for New fm, but is their format right for Newcastle?

Triple J / Triple M are strong in Newcastle, and Hit have the younger market sown up.
Should New fm go between Triple J and Hit. with a format similar to the old Nova, (pop / dance / alternative rock) I know it won’t happen as it won’t fit the SRN, and Bill will want to retain the status quo. But if it was to happen New fm would be completely different from all the other commercial fm stations in Australia,

3 Likes

If Newcastle had more effective competition, like a Hot Tomato or Star 104.5, then I reckon Triple M/Hit ratings wouldn’t be looking quite so rosy.

Triple Js large share says a bit.

2 Likes

Yep, I agree. Triple M 102.9 (and to a lesser extent, Hit 106.9) is pretty much the NBN News/Television of Newcastle radio.

1 Like