Newcastle - Survey 1, 2020

http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Images/GfK_Summary-Report-Newcastle_Survey-1-2020_1.pdf?ext=.pdf

4 Likes

Triple M remains on top with a 17.7% share, down 0.8% from last survey. This is followed by hit106.9 with 12.5% (up 0.7%), JJJ with 11.4% (down 0.4%), New FM with 10.6% (up 1.7%), ABC Newcastle with 8.9% (down 3%) & 2HD with 7.8% (up 1.1%).

Interestingly, in the 18-24s, Triple M rates ahead of Hit & New FM (JJJ is #1 overall), whilst in the 25-39s, Hit is #1, followed by JJJ, Triple M & New FM. In the 40-54s, Triple M is dominant, followed by New FM, JJJ & Hit.

The ā€˜Other Stationsā€™ rated 25.3%, which is up 2.8% from the last survey.

5 Likes

I donā€™t understand these surveys. Thatā€™s a big change for Triple M in the 18-24s group. They are way up in the under 40s and way down in the 40+.:thinking:

1 Like

Yes, it is weird. :thinking:

Looking at the ā€˜Other Stationsā€™ ratings in more detail, it got a 42.2% share in the 55-64s & a 43% share in the 65+, most of which would be towards 2NUR. In drive time (4-7pm), when not a single local commercial station is local after 5pm (the closest would be Star 104.5 from the Central Coast & 2NM from Muswellbrook), 22% of listeners listen to ā€˜Other Stationsā€™, outrating Triple Mā€™s Kennedy Molloy at 16.2% & Hitā€™s Carrie & Tommy/Hughesy & Ed at 15.7%.

New FM is the big winner this survey, in which they have the biggest gain overall, particularly in the 40-54s & 55-64s at Triple Mā€™s expense. Their overall share of 10.6% is their highest since Survey 2 of 2005, when they achieved a 10.8% share. In that 2005 survey, New FM was 7.7% behind NX (as it was known then) & 10.1% behind KO, but this survey, theyā€™re only 1.9% behind Hit & 7.1% behind Triple M.

1 Like

I think the samples are too small to read much into the fluctuating demos.

Meanwhile the Other station figure in Newcastle is huge. Mostly 2NUR probably?

1 Like

Yes, most definitely.

Itā€™s not the first time that the ā€˜Other Stationsā€™ figure is that high. In fact, it has been higher than that, peaking at 27% in S3/2018. It has consistently been above 20% since S1/2014, which coincidentally was when the first GfK ratings survey for Newcastle took place.

3 Likes

I would love to see New FM take on a rock format skewing slightly older toward classic but also playing new rock thatā€™s out there. Wonder how thatā€™d rate? Something like Radio X in the UK but with more older Aussie pub rock.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve said it before, have NewFM and B-Rock share playlists and keep the network log as it is.

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but I donā€™t think 2NUR might be pulling much more than an 8-9% share at extreme most, itā€™s not like it used to be, & people around town donā€™t seem to be listening to it as much (not that Iā€™m around town much anymore).
I know a guy who used to work there & heā€™s said that as well, & apparently studio A panel is near death (old Klotz desk) & the university wonā€™t give them any funds to replace it, as the revenue has dropped (pre-dating COVID-19 problems), breakfast comes out of studio A, everything else has to come out of studio B to prolong the panels life, but if studio B panel dies (same age & type), the stations screwed.

I think the ā€œothersā€ figures are spread more wider, perhaps to central coast stations (maybe STAR 104.5 & CoastFM), probably Muswellbrook (2NMā€™s quite good & Power FMā€™s a point of difference to the local offerings), maybe even Taree (MAXFM), & then youā€™ve got a couple of reasonably good community stations in Port Stephens.

Iā€™d agree with that, & NEWFM Breakfast has to go, it truly is bad & the ratings show that, Jadeā€™s not bad when by herself (weekends, etc.) & the boys would possibly be the same, but together it just doesnā€™t work.

When Iā€™m in town I usually listen to 2HD Breakfast & NEWFM the rest of the day, the NEWFM music isnā€™t too bad, but the presentation & promotion of the station definitely needs work. Thereā€™s some good people there who could really make it something, but they need to be paid more than the award wage, especially when itā€™s rumoured thereā€™s some at the competition earning multiple $100kā€™s.

7 Likes

The person who selects the music across the NewFM network has the power to make or break SCAā€™s regional ratings.

At the moment, theyā€™re spoon feeding wins to SCA stations with BOGā€™s JackFM format.

4 Likes

ABC CLASSIC: 10-17 8.4%

Really???

1 Like