Newcastle Radio

Yeah… but Newfm saying ‘Newcastle’s Best Music’ is kind of like calling your horse a Melbourne Cup winner when it’s actually got three legs and just arrived at the glue factory.

7 Likes

It has now been 34 years since commercial FM radio began in Newcastle.

NEW FM started full time transmissions at 5pm on Friday 21st April 1989.

Happy 34th birthday NEW FM!

8 Likes
3 Likes

For what it’s worth, this was the presentation that actually saw her receive the medal, which happens a few months after the announcement (which was on Australia Day this year).

It confused me a little because I initially thought [in a binned post] that she was pre-empting a Kings Birthday announcement. Oopsie :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today is an AMAZING day for SCA!

1 Like

Why?

1 Like

you’ll see in another thread shortly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another one bites the dust at NEWFM.

1 Like

Who?

1 Like

Tyler announced that she is departing the breakfast show for an off air role at another radio station (HIT).

3 Likes

In Newcastle or elsewhere in the SCA network?

1 Like

Well that didn’t last long.

I’m assuming she’ll be returning to a producing role?

I wonder if we’ll see the usual ‘climbing of the ranks’ with NOVO’s producer & workday jock Steven Jones moving into the role as co-host?

Or will NewFM look to poach/recruit elsewhere?

… It’s only really weekend announcers Kelly Glover or (ex-NewFM brekkie) Mel Sargeant who they can choose from if they want another female co-host …

2 Likes

NEWFM won’t poach talent because 1) they don’t want to pay, and 2) it’s my opinion the real talent wouldn’t waste their time on such a dead spot of a station. Nobody with talent has remained. The talent has moved on, and the tales of NEWFM’s poor culture, poor management and poor pay has kept anyone with the ability to be a decent replacement away. Word on the street (and from within their own ranks…) is approach with extreme caution.

3 Likes

New FM: the Washington Commanders of Australian radio.

Sell the station Caralis. :rofl:

2 Likes

It actually wouldn’t impact the network so much if it was sold.

I’ve said it before, I’d like the stations to all be networked from Sydney.

You could tap into more/better talent as well, and have 2SM as the true hub for SRN.

2 Likes

Caralis needs to sell the network. Going forward I doubt he would get the money he’d think it’s worth. Newcastle might get some money, Sydney only because it’s a station in Sydney.

6 Likes

Not at all shocked to hear NEWFM go to air with their morning show ‘THE NOVOS’ with no replacement for their departed. NEWFM management are delusional if they don’t realise they have a major problem on their hands with no one wanting to step in and take the opportunity. I would be embarrassed if I was the one handling this.

Additionally, it’s being branded ‘THE NOVOS with Steven and Krivo’… Steven to join the show later in the morning and krivo to solo host to begin. If that’s their approach going forward, terrible terrible terrible drop of the ball. NEWFM once again proving why they are the joke of radio and why they should never (but do) sling sh*t at HIT like they’re a power player. Next.

6 Likes

Brilliantly said.

1 Like

They better have some female talent in the pipeline because the all bloke format doesn’t sit well with me. They’ve lost Jade, Meg, Tyler and Lizzie all in the last two years, according to the website they’ve got Kelly and Mel Sarge but they’re they’re both weekends only I presume

So no female announcers in key shifts. Do management see a pattern here? Maybe they’re not treating their female staff properly if they’d all rather be elsewhere?

4 Likes

And don’t forget Sophie’s short stint after being at NXFM/Hit breakfast.

2 Likes