Newcastle Radio

At least the pirate did their homework in choosing 89.3, a clear frequency in Newcastle and not likely to interfere with anything. I think there is a low powered mining relay somewhere in the Hunter Valley on 89.3, though.

2 Likes

We need more pirate stations to shake up Australian radio.

4 Likes

There are twoā€¦ 2NM at Liddell mine, and Power FM at Bulga Mine, this one can be received in elevated Newcastle areas like Cardiff Heights.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Does NewFM do Feel Good Fridays?

2 Likes

More stations need to be Adele free all the time. The audience core remaining listening to NEW should be wake up call the programmers to return to a playlist more towards rock.

If digital ever happens for Newcastle, they could run rock for NEW and the 80ā€™s to now network feed on a digital station.

4 Likes

We already have Triple M doing rock.

I think NEW would be best served with a more contemporary format, akin to Star104.5, that covers 80s to now with a good blend of rock and pop.

Promotions and imaging are NEW FMs Achilles heel. They donā€™t spend enough $$$$ in this area.

3 Likes

Perhaps NEW should invest (unlikely with Bill) in music research? Find the gap, find what tests well and go from there?

4 Likes

Agree, he needs to invest in more than just research though, talent, promotions, imaging also need $$$$.

3 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

I think a lot of people in Newcastle do listen to Star 104.5. I donā€™t see why NewFM couldnā€™t copy what Star 104.5 is doing. Why not? Itā€™s working great for them on the Central Coast. NewFM could really pull it off if done right.

I listen to Star 104.5 online every couple of weeks. Really slick station. @Radiohead is on the money. If NewFM got their product right along with promotions and imaging it could really make a big impact. They just need to have the discipline to follow it through.

7 Likes

I agree with above. Make NewFM return to REAL rock. Iā€™ve said it before - share the log with sister station B-Rock and run the network feed separately, or from up & coming announcers based in Sydney like they used to do in the 131009.net days.

New could easily skew younger than Triple M and their current audience will be fine given Hit106.9 plays more variety these days.

3 Likes

Young people donā€™t really listen to rock these days, they like the doof doof stuff.

Thatā€™s why Triple M skews older for rockā€¦ as Sydney tried getting younger listeners with a modern rock format about 5-10 years ago and they just werenā€™t there.

2 Likes

I completely forgot about that experiment they did on Triple M Sydney. I look at Triple M mid 90ā€™s to early 00ā€™s as the benchmark for any rock station. If there was a way to replicate that formula Iā€™m sure they would have. I think Newcastle canā€™t handle two rock stations. The Triple M brand has surprisingly stuck well (probably the only SCA convert that has?). No way would NewFM hold up against that. They have all the ingredients to make a great Adult Contemporary station.

4 Likes

Yes, while I think many of us would love to see New FM return to itā€™s rock roots I think in reality itā€™s future would be more successful as an AC station. It could still play a few rock tracks. Surprisingly even mainstream softer AC stations in the US like KOST-FM in LA do still play some rock tracks and make it work well.

4 Likes

I used a VPN to listen to this station today. Really great format and executed so well. Do you think a few Australian A/C stations would use them as inspiration?

Reading into the last 2 years of surveys in Newcastle. If NewFM were serious they could potentially win the 25-54 m/f demo with a disciplined A/C format. It would take them 3-5 years but in the long term it would become a great cash cow for Bill.

4 Likes

Itā€™s definitely a possibilityā€¦ SCA have struggled elsewhere when good competition is put in front of them ā€¦ they are only really #1 and #2 in Newcastle at the moment because the local competition isnā€™t strong,

3 Likes

If 97.3 in Brisbane and Mix 102.3 in Adelaide copied KOST they would both pull away from the pack, no doubt in my mind.

2 Likes

2HD OB with Richard King from the Newcastle Caravan, Camping, Lifestyle Expo this weekend.
Iā€™m mostly interested in whatā€™s in the mobile OB rack.

5 Likes

Thereā€™s two wireless mic receivers and three wireless headphone transmitters (all Sennheiser) below what I believe is a radio tuner for audio at the location. At the bottom is obviously a rack mounted mixer which judging by the faders isnā€™t being used - and since theyā€™re using the larger (but discontinued) tieline unit which has four mic inputs and a fifth stereo input, I would guess the mics and headphones are just plugged directly into the tieline.
Canā€™t be sure about the laptop use in this instance, but at some BOG stations they load up Simian and have a fully operating playout system live on location - saving the need for a panel op. At a guess though thatā€™s not the case here.

4 Likes