Newcastle Radio

And as usual, nothing on the ACMA Radcom database.

1 Like

It wouldnā€™t be if itā€™s just a simple translator. They would just be receiving the signal from the primary FM over the air, and retransmitting the composite audio signal.

2 Likes

A wild guess, could they possibly be using a New FM subcarrier from Mt Sugarloaf to Belmont North? I seem to recall reading that the Super Network has done this before in other areas.

2 Likes

2HDā€™s primary licence is on AM, hence why the translator is needed.

If you have a radio with sub carrier options, worth a try or SDR with such function.

Thankful to not see an AM loop antenna.

1 Like

Ahh, I see. Sorry.

That antenna isnā€™t really the size for UHF STLsā€¦ Interesting?

1 Like

Mmmā€¦ have heard of subcarriers used as a backup channels to control transmitters, also to feed FM LPON stations.
The Yagi does seam(?) to be the size of a FM yagi pointing out to Sugarloaf.
A subcarrier pickup (if thatā€™s what antenna is for) could I assume indicate a subcarrier pickup from 2NEW 105.3 FM.

I didnā€™t think the fidelity from the narowband 67 & 92kHz FM subcarriers were that good, or would be good enough for a 2HD FM serviceā€¦?

1 Like

Guess Newcastle will hear when itā€™s commissioned.

2 Likes

But 2HD is on AM!

1 Like

Not sure what the antenna is for as I have not been involved in the project

But I can confirm unless things have changed they are not using the SCA of 105.3 as New FM uses 57khz for RDS and 92khz for Remote Control Statues receive back to the studios from Mount Sugarloaf

6 Likes

Possible but yes bandwidth isnā€™t great and mono only. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve seen or read somewhere that Now Fm Moree used to use the SCA Channel to distribute 2VM to the various repeaters back in the day. @hatdj would know more

1 Like

Yes we did but only mono & It was only as good as a 24k stream but considering it was relaying an Am radio station people were just thankful they could pick up the station with a sound that was cleaner than a scratchy fringe Am signal. Moree broadcasting now has IP codecs to all our 2VM FM relays in full stereo :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Amazing some of those small population translator areas have sufficient internet and arenā€™t on satellite.

All the IP links have a wired backhaul?

Mix of Copper and LTE connections through the IP network

2 Likes

Hi Matt. I vaguely recall reading that in the past too.

I guess it will be a waiting game for the service to appear on air & then maybe another site visit to determine how signal is getting to the transmitter site. Eg a visual inspection of the tower for a new STL (or similar) antenna, look at the output of MPX spectrum (SDR) for a 67 or 92kHz subcarrier etc.

1 Like

Given the lack of any stl antenna, which surely would have been installed at the same time, Iā€™d say it will most likely be fed by IP codec. Anyone know how 97.5 Port Stephens is fed? @gordo92

2 Likes

Reliability is more important than speed when it comes to Tielines. You can get a decent stereo link as low as 96k so as long as the connection stays up, it will work fine.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a UHF STL antenna at the 2HD studios pointed towards Port Stephens, so thatā€™d be it

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the terrain like between Sandgate and the new site, Iā€™m not too familiar with that area?

Is that receive yagi definately not aimed at Port Stephens to relay 97.5 offair? That would make too much sense and would ultimately be the cheapest linking option, no additional licences or connections required.

The terrain is reasonably flatā€¦ the UHF link at Sandgate isnā€™t even mounted very high either.

And the yagi at the Belmont North 90.5 site is definitely pointed north west towards Mt Sugarloafā€¦ the 97 5 site is on Gan Gan Hill, north east of 90.5.

1 Like

Have spoken to the tech involved with the Belmont project and he confirmed the Yagi is for off-site receive retransmission of 97.5 Port Stephens

Therefore Belmont will be a complete MPX Retransmission of Port Stephens

850mhz STL I believe

5 Likes