Newcastle Radio

no it wouldnt have because its a nickname that he loathes

2 Likes

And all the hosts were calling themselves Bruce. Got to the point where it started to sound like a a long Monty Python sketch

Yeah it did
Completely unrelated someone working at the BP servo at Branxton was listening to WS FM, guessing they were streaming it was on the shop speakers.

1 Like

Hence the confusion in regional areas. Regional people do travel to cap cities, they know Triple M is a rock station for tradie type men. For the format 2WG airs, it’s very much at odds with Triple M in Sydney or Melbourne. Same with the recent pop music now heard on KO FM.

2 Likes

Yes, the city folk will hear our Triple M stations and say things like “I can’t believe Triple M is playing Katy Perry!” (which sounds very much like the sweepers they used to run with their “You Never Know What We’ll Play Next” variety format back in 2005).

4 Likes

Picked up triple M Sydney today clear as anything at Maitland, all of the other Sydney stations worked brilliantly as well.

Yes, some strong signals around today.

Also helps that the NEW FM transmitter issue seems to have disappeared again (fingers crossed it’s been fixed now, since I emailed their network tech 3 weeks ago about it).

KO didn’t take the night shift last night, did the system stuff up or they decided against taking it?

playout error

back tonight

Problem at the station, not a network fault.

All I can say is bring back Sunday NRL on KOFM.

Picked up KIIS 1065 at work the past few nights (up the valley for those who don’t know)

Newcastle radio has really suffered in recent years.

Self inflicted (cutting on air teams instead of over paid bureaucrats who contribute nothing to output) budget cuts at the ABC saw the metro status and funding of 1233 ABC Newcastle removed.

KO and NX were brought within the regional silo of SCA rather than the standalone, more metro status they enjoyed as the JV between Austereo and RG Capital.

It’s easy to drive through the market and think that it’s a much smaller city than how the media once represented it.

Quality has gone backwards.

2 Likes

In the way it’s treated by media operators, you could be forgiven that its more of a Dubbo market than it is say a Gold Coast market. Mostly due to lack of effective competition presented by 2HD and NEW FM.

3 Likes

Whilst the following is a bit off-topic, Newcastle is now the only market on the East Coast where they only have 1 proper local TV news service, whereas most other markets have at least 2 proper local TV news bulletins, especially since SCA Nine have launched local bulletins across Southern NSW/ACT & VIC, with QLD still to come.

1 Like

It’s a reflection on the radio market.
Not enough effective competition there either.

Exactly. Newcastle radio has gone to the dogs big time. I’ve gone over to 2NUR FM. Their music is more to my liking and they’re the only independantly owned station in the region.

2 Likes

Dare I say it, the Central Coast arguably has a better choice of radio stations (even without taking fortuitous Sydney & Newcastle reception into the equation) than Newcastle these days.

1 Like

That is so true. In fact, you could say the same for a number of other smaller regional markets such as Townsville (where they have 4 commercial FM stations!), Canberra (yes, I know it’s the national capital, but it’s treated as a regional market as far as media is concerned), Hobart, Sunshine Coast, Central QLD (Rockhampton/Gladstone), Mackay, Cairns, Bendigo & Bunbury.

2 Likes

It does can’t argue with that.
It’s upsetting to see metro status of 1233 removed, and I can agree with everyone that Newcastle radio has gone backwards in terms of quality.
It’s been said many times NEW FM needs a revam massively, when 2HD aligned with the super radio network and away from 2GB that was a backward step too.
KOFM and HIT though I believe stepped forward when SCA bought them out but has stepped back in the past 2 years but have enjoyed returning to the top of the ratings. It’s interesting because I think they sounded better in 2014/15 than they do now, sounded more metro. That’s nothing to do with the current management at Newcastle, it’s what’s above them at the Gold Coast and Sydney.
As I’ve said coverage of sport has gone backward here too, you’ve only got the ABC and KO don’t take every game nor have the NRL shows on the weekend opting to stick with music.