New Zealand TV

Discovery and Sky have renegotiated their contractual agreement to allow the launch of Discovery+ in New Zealand, certainly exciting 2021 to look forward too. As TVNZ onDemand goes as a stand alone business. This will also give Sky time to look at their offering, offer new channels, repackage the deals, and finally just rejuvenate itself as Covid will eat up most of 2021 as well.

3 Likes

Makes sense, If Discovery + doesn’t take off they still have the Sky partnership but if it is successful they’ve got another revenue stream just like that.

3 Likes

It also means Investigation Discovery channel will launch on Sky in 2021.

1 Like

Rebecca Gibney is starring in a new romantic comedy Under the Vines, co-produced by TVNZ and Acorn TV. Production will begin in early February in Central Otago, with Acorn TV taking all rights worldwide except NZ. The show will feature as a world premiere on Acorn TV in the US, Canada, the UK, Latin America, Australia, Spain, Portugal, among others in 2021, followed by TVNZ with its local premiere.

1 Like

Add decent channels stop taking away channels and offer better plans at a lower cost and or offer plans where u can pick you own x amount of channels.

Sky tv is a rip off and has been for years, they show no gratitude for their customers long or short term.

Last year they let u have movies free for the summer, the previous year it was all the channels unlocked which I personally thought was great and something they should have done during the covid lockdown. Would have made sense, everyone at home try give customers more offerings to keep them with their customers and not onto streaming platforms.

I have sky and the only channel I really watch is Comedy Central sometimes food network (no idea why) and the only other channel I really enjoyed was CI and a few of the news channels, all of which not available on my plan. Not going to spend and extra $25 on top of 23 odd dollars a month just for 2 or 3 more channels.

2 Likes

Beyond their sports channels their general entertainment offerings have always been super lazy but I think that’s been shown up more by the rise of the streaming services like Netflix.

I wouldn’t have tuned into anything on Sky5, UKTv etc etc for years.

2 Likes

Shortland Street will be shown in Australia on SBS Viceland next year, after it was dumped by Foxtel last month. The soap’s 2020 finale is tomorrow night (December 17) on TVNZ.

2 Likes

SBS showed Shortland Street circa 1994 from memory.

You’d think they would promote it as a return of sorts if that’s the case, even if it was a long time ago.

I’m not sure anyone cares, apart from us.

1 Like

Yeah, I doubt there’s anyone still at SBS (or any TV network around the world, for that matter) aware of the programming decisions they made more than 25 years ago…

I already commented about that in the SBS Viceland thread before the news was link posted here. It was a monumental flop on SBS, and television critics comprehensively bagged the show.

1 Like

Some photos of TVNZ’s Studio Setup for the 36th America’s Cup in the Auckland Viaduct.

3 Likes

Are they in the in the tent thing?

Yep see caps below (Posted in the 1News NZ thread)

1 Like

It looks tiny from the outside, hard to believe they can fit everyone inside.

3 Likes

Tall windows and very curved couch probably help, as do camera angles etc.

3 Likes

All together now, 1-2-3…

Untitled

… well, not 1 or 2, but HGTV & Choice now appear with +HR=E… which is mildly strange to see. I wonder how long before we see some cross-promotion?

3 Likes

Over 1.5 million people watched the 2020 America’s Cup World Series during the weekend:

2 Likes

@TV4, It would sound better as “Discovery Aotearoa”

1 Like