New Zealand TV

Good riddance. Was bad enough they showed the Australian version over there.

TVNZ was already dealing with problems back in 1999. Remember the disastrous 3 week re-pairing of Judy Bailey with John Hawkesby?

Viewers started to shift over to TV3 News (and One News’ Weekend bulletin where Richard Long was transferred to)

1 Like

It was my understanding the NZ government just own it they don’t run it. Whether or not it pays it’s way with the advertising I’m not sure.

Also on a slightly unrelated matter was there any truth to the rumour that the ABC were trying to set up a base over there but the NZ governmnet put the kybosh on it?

Maybe Three would still have some money left if they didn’t invest in all these pathetic scripted fake reality shows then decide to churn out local versions of the garbage. I don’t know much about it but Three has been unwatchable for years.

I can’t Remember 7 days having a Australian format apart from being simalar to Good News Week. Happy to be proven wrong.

I actually enjoy 7 days and I am surprised that station like Channel 10 or 9 has picked up the NZ version and play it on a Saturday night. I would watch a remake of the Show if it was made in Oz.

I actually like New Zealand Today. I lost interest in Jono and Ben especially when Laura Daniels appeared but love New Zealand Today. 20 F##king Smacks story was one of the most funniest comedic story, I watched ever.

Both Networks can cut their 6pm News to 30mins in today’s digital world, save wages, be self efficient, Sky is one great example of it. Merge RNZ with tvnz and Maori TV.

Haven’t heard of that one… when was it, do you remember?

It was to start with, in the 60’s. I think Auckland got four months of non-commercial, Wellington & Christchurch got a month and I’m not sure about Dunedin when they launched. The argument was they needed advertising to cover the cost of it, so they allowed ads for a couple nights of the week.
Over the years they allowed more nights to turn commercial until sometime in the gloomy 80s, it was down to what it is now, where only Sunday mornings are commercial-free.
Sunday morning applies to all channels too, including TVSN. TV3 had unsuccessfully lobbied for it to go, and even got a fine for showing ads during one of the Rugby World Cups in 2007? (was it 2007?, I can’t remember exactly).

I think there was a bit of a loop hole around this that exists (or existed) that if the broadcast originated overseas and isn’t strictly targeted at NZ audiences then it bypasses this issue. TV3 used this method for those Sunday games but they were still guilty of breaching the law - no fine though.

1 Like

Mediaworks is selling it’s TV arm. Big news.

1 Like

Would sky consider buying it?
Would it be worth it to them?

Second free to air channel, name change?
Create two channels for different demographics? Prime more male orientated, Three similar to now but with more reputable programming?

Slash Three life. What about Bravo? Does Mediaworks still distribute?

What does this mean for Newshub? back to Three News possibly and how will a sale affect threes news gathering?

Sorry for all the questions, just seeing what possibilities and thoughts others on here have.

1 Like

Good questions, don’t apologise!

I’m really interested to see what happens with the news arm - I guess the radio arm will happily buy the news of whoever buys the TV/Newshub arm?

I’d doubt SKY would be interested, they’re losing money too, but I can see a new owner hocking off LCN 4 for a price to Sky/Prime, to harmonise SKY/Freeview channels, but the price would have to be agreeable for both parties.

RNZ’s reporting today that Channel 7 might be interested - but this seems unlikely given they’ve just announced they’re buying Prime (Oz).

Hopefully whoever does buy it ISN’T A VENTURE CAPITAL COMPANY… they’re the root of all TV3’s recent problems, ever since CanWest sold it (and look what happened to them!)

2 Likes

Could the new Viacom CBS be interested in an acquisition in the NZ market?

That would give them major channels in the US, UK, Aus & NZ (possibly others?) and a good launching block for a local version of CBS All Access.

2 Likes

Could Nine Entertainment Co be an option? Doing very well financially. They own the Stuff Limited in NZ which has 9 newspapers and websites. Could sell off Bravo and some of the other channels and just keep 3.

Aren’t Nine trying to sell off some of their assets in New Zealand? Seems they don’t have much interest in that market.

After all of 7’s redundancies and their acquisition of Prime Media in Australia announced today, I find it hard to believe they would be interested either… but you never know.

1 Like

I’m picking NBC Universal to acquire Three, especially since they have a joint venture with the operation of Bravo. If not, then it could be CBS as was pointed out the own Free to Air channels in the UK and Aus.

4 Likes

Newsroom are placing Sky as the only viable option for Three, so long as Prime is either sold off or shutdown.

So give it a few months, see if they get any decent offers and /or the govt makes any big change to broadcasting then decide what they’re going to do…
Note on Stuff:

“MediaWorks chief executive Michael Anderson has left the door open to changing its plan to sell its television business if government media policy changes, while making clear its intention to sell the business is genuine”

The idea a while back from Seven’s new boss to quote the Herald “local shows and staff would make way for far cheaper syndicated television out of Australia and the US” & I’m pretty sure would still involve local news wasn’t a bad one imo.
Bring Home & Away back to Three as the lead in to the news & they’ll have solved half their problems, ha ha.

I posted a big few weeks back that Sky should buy Mediaworks TV, for News output sources. Sky & Vodafone can team up to purchase the assets, production teams and rebrand to Sky News, compliment to Sky Sport. Close Bravo, creating a actual News, unlike 1News to the Left. Our CBS & 10, or a third party altogether. It will survive and relaunch itself, very soon.

This is the best news for MediaWorks’ radio business. Finally they’ll have enough money, that isn’t going to support a failing TV business, to invest in better radio technologies and talent. An exciting time for MW Radio indeed.

2 Likes