New Zealand TV

There was no point, the live stream broke and didn’t play.

2 Likes

I stand corrected. Considering how much of a huge deal they’ve made it over the past few years it’s incredibly strange for TVNZ not to actually show it on free-to-air.

2 Likes

It worked on 1News.co.nz but yeah apparently YouTube link died.

3 Likes

Interestingly it appears Sky Sport is just taking the WTA world feed for this year’sASB Classic.
The coverage just opened with a locked shot of a court and sound FX with no welcome or commentary (match about to start).
In previous years they’d produced matches themselves and had their own wraparound coverage with anchoring and experts.
Last year they didn’t produce the matches but did do hosting and commentary.

4 Likes

Regarding TV3 playing the fireworks in years past.

It was all volunteer stuff with staff offering their time to video it and one overnight camera person who would feed it back live.

Pre discovery the on air time was offered by presentation to put the show to air if they had the camera feeds.

5 Likes

I’m sure also Auckland Council or whatever their calles also provided a feed at times? Whether that was paid or not I’m not sure.

I don’t think Auckland Council has ever provided a feed I have been aware of.

I know Vector did a feed a few years ago for the Harbour Bridge Lights.

I may be misremembering but there was definitely a year with the Auckland Council
/city watermark although actually now I think about it it might have been a commercial relationship to display it out to the world.

2 Likes

Cost cutting.

Plus people cannot be bothered sitting through 10 mins of reckons now

1 Like

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/301034128/asb-classic-british-tennis-commentators-cringeworthy-mori-pronunciation

Stuff reported last month the regular host broadcaster Sky TV had scaled back its involvement and planned to take the world feed, rather than have its own commentary team at Stanley Street as in previous years.

Commentators for singles matches will be watching from a studio in London and Sky TV will only be using its own team of callers for doubles matches on centre court, as the WTA and ATP world feeds don’t cover doubles.

Sky TV’s commentators will call these matches from its Mt Wellington headquarters, rather than courtside at Stanley St.

1 Like

Remarkable that it went wrong within the first 5 minutes - I’d switched to another channel briefly and missed the mispronunciation

2 Likes

Back in the 1930’s, notably the 1934 Ashes, the radio commentators would call overseas cricket tests in studios relying on telegraph reports and using sound effects to simulate being at the ground.

Feels like we are coming full circle, but with tech ology allowing commentators to just sit in a remote studio and comment on a match. I believe that last year, there was a sporting match, unsure what code, where the commentators just called the match from a TV in the studio. I cannot remember which one though.

1 Like

There’s been a few of them…going to have to be more specific aha :joy:

This is common practice now.

2 Likes

There was one where they were quite open about it, as there was a pic of the commentators in the studio

The Amazing Race Australia: Celebrity Edition premieres on TVNZ 2 on Monday, January 15 at 8pm and continues Tuesday-Thursday nights in the same timeslot.

Hosted again by Beau Ryan, the show sees 11 Australian celebrities and their loved ones travelling across India, Cambodia and Malaysia to face gruelling challenges during each leg, with the winning team receiving A$100,000 for its chosen charity.

Here are the 11 teams:

2 Likes

Apart from the Red Wiggle, who are these people?

1 Like

Jackie Gillies (third from right, bottom row) was part of the cast of The Real Housewives of Melbourne.

Jana Pittman (in red T-shirt, standing next to Jackie) is a former Olympian but now works as a doctor.

Grant Denyer (in blue T-shirt, standing next to wife Chezzi in bottom row) presented several TV shows in Australia. He will host a new version of game show Deal or No Deal for Channel 10, starting February 5.

far back dark green former kiis fm radio host bec judd

in middle here

I kinda meant it rhetorically, as in, would most people in NZ know who these people are?

3 Likes