New Zealand TV

Seems odd that the rebrand is occurring after the Women’s World Cup is over. I get that the big sports drawcard for Sky Open’s (don’t know why they didn’t call it say Sky Select or Sky Pick) launch will be the Rugby World Cup coverage. However, think they should have done it a month ago when the WWC began considering the channel has had premium content most days for the past month thanks to a daily live WWC game.

4 Likes

TVNZ and Mediaworks were offered / expected to provide two extra channels each when Freeview launched. MW never bothered to launch channels and just launched +1s. TVNZ had TVNZ6 and TVNZ7 which were very good given the very very limited budget they were on. Still utterly disgraceful that the National Govt couldn’t be arsed coughing up the $10-15m / year needed to keep these channels running.

5 Likes

Most people would still colloquially them “TV One” and “TV2”, despite the TVNZ branding now, wouldn’t they?

Which is a little less cumbersome if you add the plus-1 bit.

On the other hand, Three having been just that or the numeral for a couple of decades may impact that, although most channels write out the “plus” over there so it’s at least less awkward to read (eg. Three’s timeshift brand is officially “ThreePlus1” as one run-together word, so hard to escape calling it that).

(Thank goodness we’re not talking one of the main Ukrainian commercial TV channels on timeshift, would that be “1+1…+1”? :upside_down_face:)

2 Likes

I usually refer to them, “let just watch them on plus one”… applies to all the time-shift channels.

They’re kinda handy when you can’t be arsed recording stuff, or on the (very) rare occasions three channels have something worth watching at the same time (Record one, watch one “live” watch the other on the plus).

And no, I don’t generally do streaming. Much prefer the simplicity of hitting a button… though I do wish the networks put a LOT more effort into the content the curate.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Good. They need to massively upgrade the infrastructure of the app. It’s a pain to use.

3 Likes

Looking at the bottom right, Three could be on pace for a new rebrand :eyes:

8 Likes

Three now also have a new ad featuring a different slogan “all kinds of free”.

9 Likes

I still read that as +HR=E.

4 Likes

No wonder ThreeNow is placed before Three if the new tagline is ‘Stream First’.

4 Likes

Also seen on the Newshub website:

9 Likes

Sky Open Branding

9 Likes

It looks easy to read, but rather underwealming. Maybe it looks better on telly?

1 Like

Sky Open rebrand promo:

6 Likes

hideous

1 Like

Love it

1 Like

Looks pretty fresh all things considered. Much better than what Prime’s branding has been doing since 2016.

Not as much of a fan of the watermark being solid white though.

3 Likes

Sky have always failed a branding… this is just even more proof.

Even ignoring the pink, although it’s… functional, it does feel a step back from the last set of Prime stuff, visually at least. The big “P” was never a great logo in itself, but there was potential in the previous look once it became outlined and they played around with it.

Just… not sure where they’d want to take this, even considering the hottest of hot pinks they chose. And I guess we only have a little while (three hours before the main bulletin, as I type this, although I guess there’ll be updates/promos they’ll have done by now) to see how that flows onto News First.

2 Likes

Here is a montage of Sky Open on air look.

8 Likes