New Zealand TV

Something like this?

:laughing: WP has started a podcast but the branding looks good enough for a tv show!

3 Likes

Actually not the worst idea, I saw that post today (and her dancing video, that woman can dance) and sheā€™s such a great talent being wasted as the main fill-in for 1 News.

2 Likes

Or TVNZ 2 could launch a 5pm news bulletin

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about a 30 minute news bulletin on TV2 at 7:30pm. It would be straight after Shortland St and not competing with 1 News or Seven Sharp. Given they already need to produce the 30 minute Tonight bulletin (when it eventually returns!!) , there could be some synergies and could potentially share the same anchor.

I think there could be a market for mid-evening news. 6pm is simply too early, especially in daylight saving. And 10:30pm is too late for news. Probably 8-9pm would be an ideal time for me but that gets tricky scheduling in with other programmes, so 7:30pm probably works best.

Alternatively - as someone suggested above, move Seven Sharp to 2 - which is an entertainment show essentially and more suited to that channelā€™s brand. And bring back a serious 7pm current affairs show to TV1.

4 Likes

Or a 9pm bulletin run by the Re: news team or new cadets, considering most switch to streaming post 8.30/9pm and it will avoid clashing with its multi-night reality shows, alternatively they could pivot towards a BBC Three typeisk channel with ground breaking original content which could help them find a niche to target.

5 Likes

that would be great

1 Like

Another possible idea with the TVNZ-RNZ mergerā€¦ Dump TV2 altogether and make it the public service channel that we really need and leave One as the commercial channel. I would have suggested it made sense to do it the other way round, but given Oneā€™s massive ratings and $ of ad revenue, they might be reluctant to give that up.

3 Likes

Then Three or Prime roils gain advertising dollars for advantage if TVNZ 1 gone non-commercial like ABC

3 Likes

actually not a bad ideaā€¦

2 Likes

By doing that youā€™d have to dump NZ On Air funding for Commercial channels as well (how else would you find a non-commercial public-service channel). and youā€™d still need to deliver a funding model for radio, regional TV and digital platforms from that same pool, or cancel those too.

So youā€™d end up with a lot less NZ-original content overall (because what incentive is there for commercial channels to show NZ made programmes when the Govt orchestrates it on their own channel?),
And all NZ content gets ghettoised to one outlet (being your non-commercial TV2)

Is that really better than what we have now?

5 Likes

Being born in NZ but living in Australia, the only news I can find on Youtube from NZ is the One News Youtube channel, are there no other ones with NZ news ?

There are no NZ news bulletins on SBS on TV but there is Dutch News, Polish etc etc.

Donā€™t they play the Maori TV one?

9 Likes

I guess thatā€™s the deal breaker, if we have all this scarce funding tied up in NZonAir funding, then so be it, we will finally have a fully funded public broadcaster and no need to find new money. The 15 million dollar platinum fund they used to have years ago could have of all been given to TVNZ 7 to fund its operations but alas National didnā€™t want to. With all that commercial revenue leaving the state broadcaster going to the commercial networks, surely they could funnel some of that to fund their local programming.

2 Likes

The National Party could think they will renew the charter initially after the election, but they did not instead going to money to rich people and coporations

Might as well add my TV2 cents to the discussion.

I think TVNZ 2 during the weekday should really skew to younger audiences. Parents want to chuck something on for younger children or for school children once they come home. Bringing back a live programme like Studio 2 or Adam & Eve show. They should really bolster those hours and then I honestly donā€™t know what you could have during prime time slots.

Maybe pivot to try and get some content that isnā€™t normally available in NZ working with distributors or streaming companies to get content to fill out the slots. It could be a place to air their more popular OnDemand content that isnā€™t currently airing on TV see if they can bring in ratings.
I was thinking of maybe having at 10 Shake style line up but Bravo airs some of the MTV shows like Catfish.
It is shame as it does come at expense of local content.

In regards of news why not use their Re:News brand and highlight or go in-depth into issues that arenā€™t fully covered by the 6pm bulletins.

I donā€™t know honestly šŸ¤·

5 Likes

@NaruTVMock In those days, we had preschool shows in the early part of the afternoon (letā€™s say 2.30-3.30pm) and school-aged kidsā€™ shows in the later part (letā€™s say 3.30-5pm). Family shows would follow at 5pm and run through to news time (letā€™s say 6pm).

I think they should run throughout the daytime like what TVNZ Kidzone used to be. Their daytime lineup is pretty lacklustre anyway at the moment anyway, Judge Rinder, Downton Abbey? & Replays of Primetime shows.

2 Likes

@NaruTVMock Also in those days, daytime television used to be home to US soaps (General Hospital, The Young and the Restless, Days of Our Lives, The Bold and the Beautiful) and talk shows like Oprah and, later, Dr Phil. The weekday advice panel show, Beauty and the Beast, was appointment viewing when it came to daytime television.

Youā€™re in luckā€¦

A new 1.5 hour strand of programming will keep youngsters entertained through weekday afternoons on TVNZ 2 and online. The Feed, aimed at 11-15 year olds, will interweave digital and television content in an innovative cross-platform approach. Interactive competitions, TikTok challenges, memes, games, skits and life hacks will all live natively online as well as feature on television alongside Take The Mic, a competitive, musical reality series, HEIHEI content, and the returning quiz show Brain Busters will round out the afternoons. A refreshed What Now also returns to Sunday mornings, to include the best of The Feed, alongside skits musical performances, special guests and games for younger kids.

It really is difficult to get kids away from devices and onto linear TV - kids turning tweens/teens now have been raised in a world where content is on tap. Telling them to sit down at 4pm to watch TV isnā€™t how they work, so itā€™s got to be a digital first approach for their content and I can see where they are going with the new concept.

In regards to the news discussion, Flipside was well before its time. A shame it didnā€™t last.

3 Likes