New Zealand TV

Garbage

An opinion piece in the NZ Herald claims that Seven West Media chief executive James Warburton in an address to staff last week said that Seven

Unfortunately the full article is behind a paywall so I can’t see what else is claimed.

Australian content on New Zealand television is not news as it has been happening for decades. So I’m wondering if there is a more significant suggestion from Warburton such as a 7 branded channel?

I couldn’t imagine it, not with TVNZ or MediaWorks as it would reduce their own brands’ power. But you never know, Prime extended to NZ 21 years ago and learnt the hard way, perhaps it’s time for 7 to learn the same thing! Then again, is Home & Away ready for yet another shift… stay tuned!

Always take an op-ed piece with a grain of salt.

1 Like

No Herald admits in the story they originally thought his comments to staff meant he was looking at launching a TV channel in NZ but his suggestion was that the programmes now running in New Zealand on a FTA channel like Mediaworks could be replaced by Seven shows over a number of years, but with a local news in the evenings.
That’s about the gist of it.

Mediaworks: “Hell yes!” Ha ha

4 Likes

Can’t help but notice voice audio is out of sync when they play their AR graphics.

TVNZ Duke now showing the RWC game live.

https://twitter.com/sparknzsport/status/1175358454485024768?s=20

Duke on Sky is not HD is it? Or is it when it suits them? I usually watch family guy on the channel on mondays and a few other shows and nothing about the channel seems HD

It’s 1080i on Freeview, according to the Sky website it is in HD. I’m not near a Sky box at the moment.

https://skytv.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/710/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTY5MDY1MjczL2dlbi8xNTY5MDY1MjczL3NpZC9mVTk5ZjR1RmpzM2pjJTdFamJseG9GaFdxdG0wT0N6NHVkZnpwVjd3ekF2X1FpeDVaeVhwa082T0s0dGlfTlFFMngwdEpQVnBMd3podnJSUWJmQURBWXU5Q2xEd25KNUNqS1U0R1YlN0VGR1prZVl3SXVaaWFOcUFNNk13JTIxJTIx

I remember when they said it was going HD ages ago but never really noticed a difference. TVNZ’s watermarks are a good identifier on the quality of the channel imo :joy: just look at those plus 1 channels haha

1 Like

It went HD last week.

So bizarre because around a year ago i remember promos for it going HD and thinking it never looked HD then I seen an HD promo on Monday night

1 Like

Matt Nable (actor and Fox League commentator) stars in the drama.
Acorn holds secondary rights for Australia, so it could mean an Australian network will premiere The Sounds.

Couldn’t believe they’d sold the rights to the RWC to a streamer in NZ. Optus was a fiasco broadcasting the FIFA World Cup in Australia last year and doesn’t sound like Spark is handling it much better. Streaming is just not equipped to deal with such events anywhere near as effectively as broadcast.

Wellington Paranormal S2 starts Wednesday 16 October at 8:30pm on TVNZ 2

1 Like

This will end well:

In order for the bid to go head, Sky requires shareholder approval due to rights fee being more than half of the company’s value, a stipulation passed by the New Zealand government as part of the 1993 Companies Act. This will be sought at the company’s annual meeting, set for 17th October.

Are they trying to go the way of Foxtel?

I imagine losing the SANZAR rugby rights would sound the death knell for Sky - they downplayed Spark getting the RWC rights, but surely behind the scenes there would have been be some concern about future rights deals.

1 Like
1 Like

This article is gold!

2 Likes