New Zealand TV

Season 2 of Australian outback medical drama RFDS premieres on TVNZ 1 on Thursday, October 26 at 8.45pm.

1 Like

The TV Listings today imply this is the last weekend of DukeBox Music - anyone know if this is the case?

After a five-year absence, My Kitchen Rules New Zealand returns to TVNZ 2 next Monday (October 30) at 7.30pm, with new judges Manu Feildel and Colin Fassnidge from the original Australian version. These are the five teams competing in season 5.

The show kicks off in Tauranga with Nada and Pops’ instant restaurant, followed by Matt and Kurt on Tuesday.

5 Likes

Can’t say I necessarily see the appeal in keeping Manu and Colin as hosts for the NZ version as well, surely there are qualified locals who would’ve been better suited or relevant for the gig.

1 Like

I know they roped in Pete and Manu for the last season they did, the first couple of seasons didn’t rate as well as the Australian version and that was with local chefs. The Pete and Manu version was a slimmed down format.

3 Likes

Three Australian reality TV shows starts in NZ next week, two of which are brand new.

Rush (TVNZ 2, 8.30/9.15 Thursday/Friday) is a new travel adventure show hosted by model and Australian Survivor winner David Genat. It features three teams of four Australians travelling across the world. They arrive at each new drop point deprived of sight and sound. Once their noise-cancelling headphones and blackout goggles are removed, their first task is to find David, waiting for them with mission instructions.

My Mum, Your Dad Australia will have its FTA premiere on Three this Sunday (October 29) at 7.30pm, continuing Mondays and Tuesdays in the same timeslot. It is currently streaming on ThreeNow.
Hosted by Kate Langbroek, the show features single parents looking for love the second time around, not knowing they are being guided by their adult kids.

Season 2 starts in Australia next Tuesday and is expected to air in NZ in 2024. Casting for season 3 has already commenced.

The Voice Australia season 12 starts on TVNZ2 next Friday (November 3) at 7.30pm. The major change from last season was that Jason Derulo replaced Keith Urban as coach.

2 Likes

TVNZ will be glad of the change in government as they can now show as much Australian reality garbage as they like for all eternity. No need to worry about documentaries anymore, just wall to wall The Voice, MasterChef and Treasure Island. Just like you lot on here have always wanted/

3 Likes

This stuff was still airing while Labour was in, I didn’t see any difference in the last 6 years. If only the merger went ahead, then we would of seen change imho.

1 Like

I don’t think it will make any difference, the merger was already DIW, no matter if Labour retained power. There was no appetite for media consolidation, and there still isn’t. Did you look up any Political Party’s media policies during the election? Barely any of them said boo. I get the feeling they’re all waiting for broadcast TV and Radio to die a natural death so they can on-lease the frequencies to the Telcos.

4 Likes

There was a very small chance that TVNZ would have had a charter re-imposed if Labour had won.

TBH, I am at the point wherby I think the new government should just put us all out of our misery and sell TVNZ off,

Would be a big mistake if they did,

1 Like

And selling TVNZ wouldn’t be?

It effectively runs as a private company now, and National will keep it that way (bear in mind that Melissa Lee, the soon to be broadcasting minister has shares in companies that make reality shows). By the time Labour gets back in (best case, 2029), there will be little appetite for change.

2 Likes

Honestly Labour could of done the most smallest thing and just reinstated the money for TVNZ 6 & 7 and rebuild what was lost after their closures but alas it wasn’t meant to be and that stalled attempt at RNZ+ also contributed to them promising something and delivering nothing.

1 Like

RNZ+ was Clare Curran’s baby, and after she was dismissed as Broadcasting Minister, the government abandoned the idea.

I always thought a good compromise would have been to make TV1 ad-free, funded by a new advertising levy, and keeping TV2 as a commercial entity, maybe selling it off. But alas. We shall see none of that under a National government. :innocent:

3 Likes

But there’s nothing to sell off. It would just be a couple of Freeview LCNs. Who would do the playout, who would sell the ads, how would you split the rights to programmes? You’d have to negotiate carriage on all the transmitters and satellite… it would be an absolute prick of a job to unstitch now.

2 Likes

“Honestly Labour could of done the most smallest thing and just reinstated the money for TVNZ 6 & 7”

Yep, I would have been happy with that. I enjoyed watching 6 and 7 when they first came out. Unfortunately the funding ran out in 2012, and it all got chopped.

3 Likes

I agree now is not the time to sell off TV2 (which is TVNZ 2 now) because it would cause chaos, the best time to do this should be around 1986 when somebody suggested an commercial free TV One and selling off TV2. If that happened in my hypothetical situation the channel would be owned by Nine Entertainment Co and TV2 would be the most watched channel in New Zealand and TV One would have lower ratings by public service obligations that meet certain programming requirements that help transfer ad revenue to the newly privatised TV2 and new competitor TV3.

Ad free TV1+ commercial TV2 but remaining under a single entity is the way to go. National fucking hate public broadcasting in all forms though. Very sad all round.

2 Likes

Nice idea as we could see through change if Jacinda Ardern has not resigned in January, anyway National would reverse this change because National supporters are not fans of a Ad-free public service channel here in NZ

1 Like