New Zealand TV

After a run on TVNZ+ and TVNZ 2, Downton Abbey FTA re-runs have returned to Prime TV playing at 12.00 Weekdays.

1 Like

Season 2 of Hunted Australia premieres on TVNZ 2 tonight at 7.30pm, and will air on Wednesday and Thursday nights. The show only finished in Australia on Monday this week.

Team profiles

Promo

2 Likes

Down for Love, which premiered on TVNZ last year, starts on Netflix internationally today.

5 Likes

Prime to rename as Sky Open.

5 Likes

With the axing of Newshub’s early morning (5.30am) and 11.30am bulletins, I have a question for you to ask. Does that mean that infomercial time on Three will be extended?

2 Likes

10 Likes

@OnAir With Prime changing its name to Sky Open from next week (23 August). I’m talking about Prime News which will become known as News First from that date.

Will News First be drawn on the same resources as Newshub, which currently produces Prime News, as well as CBS for international content?

Sounds like a positive move to be honest, Prime doesn’t really have a major identity or real legacy in the market so no loss by losing the brand.

1 Like

Not too hot on the name but Prime has been slowly turning into a “Sky sampler platter” channel in the past few years so it’s good that they’re finally going all in on it.

Still kinda strange why they’d given it a new logo and graphics package earlier this year if it was all going to be gone in a few months anyway.

6 Likes

Not sold on the new name, what does it even mean? Like, open for everyone to watch? Hmm,

The logo seems pretty generic and uninspiring too, but might look better with other visual elements as part of the channel.

Wonder if this will mean any more meaningful change for the channel with viewership or content, other than aligning it to the Sky brand.

2 Likes

Looking at the TV guide, there’s no schedule information available from Monday onwards. Looks like they may change up the schedule a bit.

4 Likes

The FIFA Women’s World Cup Final also airs Sunday on Prime. Could sneak in a bit of a rebrand promo.

3 Likes

Horrible name, horrible logo.

5 Likes

I would of preferred them bringing back Sky 1.

1 Like

This Sky taster ‘concept’ has been around for about 15 years, ever since Sky took over Prime. Will be interesting to see how it works.

7 Likes

I mean, that does still exist after all in a form, it’s just Sky 5 now… and as much as they could merge the two and call it “Sky 4” and it’d work… I suspect they always wanted Prime and now Sky Open to be a bit more than just “current Sky 5 but free-to-air”, with news and sports content added.

Unlike, say, the more tightly entertainment-focused example over the years of, say, (British) Sky Three/Pick on UK Freeview. It’s meant to be a “barker” for all of Sky, including the sport in particular, unlike the UK example where the focus was initially to be a barker for their Sky One specifically.

Especially when it’s not like Sky 5 is their premium flagship channel these days, most of the premium content is on the likes of SoHo after all.

2 Likes

skyFREE sounds better to me, skyLITE (bought to you by velux)… skyHIGH, skyPIE, skyWHY?

1 Like

isn’t there already Sky 5? Wouldn’t Sky1 and Sky2 be better?

1 Like

Sky Open sounds like a popup channel for the Tennis haha.

Funnily enough I did a mock last year rebranding Prime to a Sky ‘window shopping’ channel. Called Sky First and guessed the new bulletin ‘First News.’ :rofl:

10 Likes

Refocusing as a golf tournament too by the sounds of it.

8 Likes