New Zealand Radio

The channel z read is great certainly played a bit of alternative music
I think mark perry even had a slot on there when they 1st launched in auckland
As did mark bunting a lot of people we heat now seemed to get a start there

I was not aware that More Chch played it as well (I knew Port FM did though).
In some ways I feel the original Wellington station really stood out on its own - and not in a good way, either. It sounded awfully similar to most of the other stations at the time, just the playlist was a bit more…tired (and repetitive).
Admittedly I was a teenager in 1991, so I probably wasn’t exactly their target audience.

On a related note, I remember ZM Wellington being quite good around 1994-95, but they started losing their way around 1996-97, when (again) they dropped a lot of their “Gold” library and began playing a tonne of Eurodance music. That’s when The Box came along and took some of their audience.

Also of note - the ZM Morning Crew used to run from 6-10 each weekday. When The Edge launched in Wellington in March 2000, their breakfast show started at 5. Not long after, I noticed ZM did the same thing…so they were paying attention to the competition :smiley:

1 Like

Tim Roxborough doing gold days this week

Must just be filling in, he’s not on the website.
I think Gold is actually a pretty good station although I liked it better before it changed to mostly rock. I tend to alternate between that and The Sound. Sometimes I’ll listen to Magic (but not nearly as often, I’m not that old - yet!) :smiley:

2 Likes

Believe he’s just filling in.

Agreed…gold is actually quite a good station but tends not to get the backing or profile it deserves here in chch the coverage is so weak you have to tune in via i heart app

MediaWorks Press Release

“Channel X, has just celebrated one year on air, having exceeded our expectations in ratings and revenue.

I guess the bar was set pretty low from Today FM - but considering the minimal advertising of the station, and it’s at the top of the dial in a few major markets (Wellington, Auckland) they’ve done pretty well.

Would’ve been so good if terrestrial digital radio took off - be nice to have Gold, George, Mai, Flava, etc available in more markets without having to fumble with the phone while driving.

1 Like

Not sure how they make any money off Channel X. I only listen to the rova channel but besides a few plugs for rova I’ve heard like one ad for a bookshop and that’s it.

Today FM (somehow) was not short of advertisers.

1 Like

Well you have to think about how in the end it’s basically just a 24/7 automated playlist with a few local spots thrown in here and there - would be a much smaller team than the other stations and a bit cheaper too, or at least a lot less than they were pumping into Today.

3 Likes

Oh yeah definitely, and ofc they don’t want to turn off listeners with a shit tonne of ads… just imagined there’d be a few more businesses lining up…

Channel x is possibly like all the other pop up ionline stations except they have mw backing them

Cost to have a frequency in every market must be expensive but would be nice

They do quite a bit of advertising, less the traditional audio ads. They seem to have ad slots (morning, afternoon, evening, overnight) where they broadcast ads on their RDS RT for a month or 2.

I don’t know how effective that is, and how much they charge to do this - but its unobtrusive and quite neet.

5 Likes

That is cool! Thanks @SodasSwish

3 Likes

Yeah, they are. Stumbled on the auction results page on RSM not too long ago - most frequencies were brought for $50k-7m each in recent auctions. It’s understandable the major players want to keep competition down by being against DAB, but the lack of choice is a loss for the public.

On a side note, with all AM/FM licenses set to expire in under 7 years on 2/4/2031, it’ll be interesting what happens - I was reading a document last night for different reasons and came across this on RSM from 2016:

Rather than rush to spectrum allocation decisions care needs to be taken and with
AM/FM tenure expiry in 2031, it is necessary to have spectrum in Band III allocated and
assigned by 2026. This provides five years to plan implementation; a simulcasting
period will be essential.

Seems to imply that RSM were considering an analogue switch off of these services then?

I think a decision on the future of DAB is coming up at some point in the next year - I could be wrong but I think that was deferred back in 2018 for 5 years.

I genuinely wonder what will happen in the near future - will digital radio become a thing, is most radio going to move to online only, or will these licenses be extended/auctioned when they expire?

Agreed…gold is actually quite a good station but tends not to get the backing or profile it deserves here in chch the coverage is so weak you have to tune in via i heart app

Can you get it on AM as well? That should be better for coverage (yes, I acknowledge the sound quality isn’t as good - but even I prefer listening on AM sometimes).

I think a decision on the future of DAB is coming up at some point in the next year - I could be wrong but I think that was deferred back in 2018 for 5 years.

I genuinely wonder what will happen in the near future - will digital radio become a thing, is most radio going to move to online only, or will these licenses be extended/auctioned when they expire?

How does that compare for coverage compared to the current FM services available though? If the coverage is worse (or reduced) than what you can get now, that’s going to be a bit of an uphill battle convincing people to switch.

1 Like
2 Likes

Radio awards on last night…congratulations to all the finalists and the winners

More FM’s content director Amy Collett last day today, she’s heading back to Aus - (Wave FM Wollongong)

Anyone heard who is new CD for More?

1 Like

Re Garner’s live podcast

Bit in here that Lloyd Burr has been leading a last-ditch “rescue mission” to save AM.

It is understood Burr has also met with Stuff, the digital publishing company that will take over the production of TV3′s 6pm news bulletin from Saturday, July 6.
It is understood Stuff executives did not want to take on the responsibility of another show at the start of the day - it already has its hands full organising the new bulletin amid tight balance sheet margins and some frayed tempers.

WBD’s response (no great surprise):

“We have had conversations with Lloyd and we discussed ideas he had about continuing with AM. We let him know that unfortunately, WBD NZ would be unable to make it work within our new business model. “As per our restructure announcement, we will not be fully funding shows, but are very open to considering any content that does have a commercial model that works for all of us.”

Garner is familiar with Three audience, they have Miranda Fisher as EP (ex Paul Henry show producer, Breakfast exec producer). The Youtube live numbers are not pretty, agree with @OnAir Surely MediaWorks do a deal with WBD here.

2 Likes