New Zealand Radio

Mai and The Edge have recently undergone significant changes in 2024.

In the photos provided (see above) MediaWorks revealed that Nickson Clark will be leaving The Edge to rejoin Mai’s flagship breakfast show, Mai Morning Crew (6-10am), with effect from next week (26 February). At the same time, Storme Hitaua will replace K’Lee as host of Mai’s daytime slot (10am-3pm).

Meanwhile, at The Edge, Steph Monks will be going on maternity leave and Sean Hill, the current host of the station’s daytime slot, will join Sharyn Casey for The Edge Afternoons (3-7pm). However, The Edge’s drive slot will now revert to a ‘two guys and a girl’ approach with the addition of comedian Chris Parker to the line-up.

All promotional images courtesy of MediaWorks; no copyright infringement intended.

I hear Angie Skerrett reading news on MW radio tonight. Haven’t heard her since Today FM was axed and I thought RNZ gave her work ?

Coincidence or are they sharing newsreaders ?

1 Like

She was working on the sound over the holiday period

Didn’t realise that, thanks

Magic to change the line up again. Assistant Content Director & drive show presenter vacancy:
https://careers.mediaworks.co.nz/jobdetails/ajid/wOht7/Assistant-Content-Director-On-Air-Presenter-Magic,10178.html

Bob leaving???

@Rod_Van_Alphen Yup. Bob Gentil has worked in the radio industry for many years and, from my point of view, is announcing his retirement. As a result Magic, through MediaWorks, is looking for a replacement.

Shame he is 1 of the good guys friendly and laid back
Remember him in the early days of zm radio in the 70s and 80s

1 Like

Totally agree. Great shame. Has one of the best radio voices.
Has he actually said something on air?

Pity he’s leaving, he wasn’t back for very long and I think he’s quite good.
I would be very interested in a role like that, but I don’t think I’ve got the chops for it.

Perfect role for Mel Homer I reckon… Magic Drive.

NZH media insider column says SENZ are after Scotty Stevenson for breakfast

The drums are beating strongly that radio station Senz is keen to have the highly respected Scotty Stevenson host its radio breakfast show, alongside former All Black Israel Dagg.

A sports broadcaster of Stevenson’s experience and esteem would be an astute change in strategy for Senz, which until now has relied on high-profile former sports people to headline their key shows - Dagg initially teamed up with former Black Caps star Brendon McCullum and then league legend Tony Kemp.

The TAB took ownership of Senz from Australian-based Sports Entertainment Group this month, and the new owners are focusing on a strategy to turn around its financial performance.

Stevenson already has a high-profile sports commentating role with TVNZ so it remains to be seen whether Senz will get their desired target. Senz certainly doesn’t seem to mind its broadcasters having other roles away from the radio microphone.

Would they consider putting bunting back on air

They should entice Rick Morin away from NZME.

Rick Morin currently hosts Gold’s night slot (6-11pm).

Jon dunston who does coast afternoons would be a good fit for magic

Martin devlin used to do similar when radio sport 1st launched and he seemed to know his stuff
.i know he has had a few personal things going on and has fallen off the radar but he should come back even on a weekend slot
Scotty s would be a good score
They could do a lot worse

Depends if they are after an announcer gig only or a programming job, the job description makes it sounds like a programming role with announcing being one part of the role.

Brad Watson might be a possibility, maybe a bit young for Magic but has the programming experience.

Remeber, he currently does a weekday afternoon show on The Platform since it launched.

If he’s on The Platform now (I don’t know as I don’t listen to it) there’s absolutely no way Mediaworks would be interested in him.

Is Melanie Homer not working anywhere at the moment? I hear her bouncing around between NZME and Mediaworks.

Mark Bunting? Maybe he could return but without knowing the background behind his departure…could be good if he came back but I don’t know how that would fit in with his other work.

The platform is solely internet radio based launched by sean plunket and i think michael laws featured on it also
Re magic drive…would be interesting to see who they choose.

Nice write up online about mark richardson and he has bounced back after losing a swag of media work in the last little while
Including when today fm was axed
Goes to show when media personalities lose jobs there is always a human element
(Same as day to day people)

1 Like