New Zealand Radio

According to her Instagram feed, she resigned from the station and left about 4 weeks ago. Doesn’t look like she’s working in radio again, although she may be based in Nelson.
Pity about that, I remember Sounds FM when it was local being all about Marlborough, but (as happened with most of the More FM stations) a good portion of the local stuff was eroded over time all in the favour of networking.
I think The Hits is the same - the show for the top of the South Island comes from Nelson as well?

1 Like

Pretty sure they take Megan’s network show now.

I didn’t realise that NZME moved out of their studios in Taranaki Street in Wellington and into the Sky Stadium. Looks like it took place in the first half of last year.

Old Studios

New Studios

The old studios would appear to have the better and more ‘purpose built’ fit out, the new set up looks like they have had to make do with the space they have and within a tight budget.

4 Likes

Sounds about right!

3 Likes

My understanding is they left Taranaki St as the building was found to be an earthquake risk.
I believe they went somewhere temporary/WFH for a few weeks before locating into Sky Stadium - but I don’t believe it’s permanent either. Not sure if they’ve nailed down a new home.

5 Likes

Ahh, thank you @OnAir.

Definitely explains it as it is a bit temporary looking, other than the paneling desks, no other fittings on the wall or anything have been added.

2 Likes

Yuck, definitely temporary.

1 Like

That must be why Fletch, Vaughan and Hayley mentioned they were broadcasting from Sky Stadium for a couple days when Ed Sheeran was in town.

I thought at the time it was some exclusive insider access to the stadium during the set up

2 Likes

2 Likes

@OnAir @Baldrick The Breeze now broadcasts to Whakatane and the Eastern Bay of Plenty on 92.1FM (as at 1 June 2023) - a frequency formerly used by Radio Pacific (1991-2005), RadioLIVE (2005-19), Magic Talk (2019-22) and, finally, Today FM (2022-23).

From today, people from all over the Eastern Bay can enjoy their favourite songs from The Breeze’s playlist (i.e. music of the 70s, 80s, 90s and now) in FM stereo as a complement to Radio 1XX, which has served the region for more than 50 years.

Instead of taking a breakfast show on relay from Tauranga (with Jolene James and Max Baird), The Breeze’s part-networked breakfast show with Justin Rae is being broadcast on 92.1FM from 6-10am. This is followed by Robert Scott from 10am-3pm, Sarah van der Kley from 3-7pm and Tania Burgess from 7pm until midnight.

1 Like
2 Likes

Stuff’s new CEO…

Maxwell is an experienced executive leader and digital CEO with significant experience in the media industry, having worked for NZME for many years as Chief Digital Officer and Chief Commercial Officer as well as Chief Executive of OneRoof, DRIVEN and GrabOne. Prior experience in Outdoor media and as GM Yahoo!NZ rounds out a comprehensive media portfolio.

…has a background in radio, digital and outdoor. It’s as if they’ve hired a new CEO for a Stuff-MediaWorks combo :thinking:

1 Like

Unless the owners of MediaWorks agree to sell the business for $1 I doubt we will see a merger with Stuff.

Here’s the full list of all the NZ radio awards winners.
2023 NZ Radio Awards Finalists & Winners.pdf

3 Likes

Congratulations to the nominees and winners

1 Like

Polly Gillespie has now joined rova with The Polly Podcast Network which will feature a number of different podcasts.

1 Like

The NZ Herald ended up getting it right with Duncan and Polly staying at Mediaworks to podcast.

Podcasting seems to be the future of talk radio…in fact radio in General

4 Likes

EVERYONE has a podcast now. I do wonder how sustainable that will be in the long term. Maybe broadcasting is a thing of the past and the future is narrowcasting.

I just got to complete a survey via Facebook on feedback regarding the sound and what they can do to improve