New Zealand Radio

I think it depends on the brand. I think you can get away with it if you offer no fuss, minimal talk. The Sound, Gold, Magic, and Coast as well as The Breeze to some extend are good examples.

Since 2005, the ever-wise ‘Lord Ted’ brought his opinions, poems, and thoughts to the More FM family, but he never fully expected the lustrous career her ended up seeking.

The article on the website was obviously written by a junior staffer who didn’t bother to research.

The sound doing an all 80s weekend
A to z
A bit different but be interested to see
What gems they drag out

Not unexpected but the tvnz rnz merger not going ahead i think it was in the too hard basket

The commerical media sector and those with vested interests in the status quo screamed too loudly IMO.

The loser will be the viewer/listener who will have to deal with shit media content.

I think the intent was there but i dont think it was explained properly what benefits
May have been and trying to sell it
May have been too hard good idea in principle

1 Like

Sorry, but what evidence do you have that the content that the proposed entity was going to be significantly better that what goes to air now?

The board had barely met enough to determine anything past a basic structure, let alone content, channels, personnel &c.

All it would have really achieved IMO is the shift of RNZ to Auckland and one less major newsroom in NZ.

2 Likes

It was going to have a decent charter in place, and wasnt required to return a dividend. A public service mandate, which included the screening of historical documentaries. Imagine a documentary about, say, Norman Kirk on TV 1, instead of celebrity treasure island, or a panel discussion about the implications of 3 waters or co-governance instead of MKR. That is what we deserve.

1 Like

Where did you get that Intel from though? Got a link?

1 Like

Well, I assumed that it was going to be the case. But, I guess your favourite shows will still continue. Youll still see Johnny from Melbourne race against the clock to whip up a friccasse on MRK for the millionth time.

If there was a significant reason to do a documentary/series on Big Norm 50 years on from his death that hasn’t been covered, I’m sure it would still be done.

You can get this at 9am Sunday mornings on Q&A.

2 Likes

I kinda would like it in prime time, You know, after 7:30pm. So at least people are INFORMED AS TO WHAT THE F*** IT ACTUALLY IS

Its called educating the people of NZ. And I am sure that if we still had the BCNZ that existed between 1975 and 1989, we would see one. But oh no, we have to have this stupid NZ on Air BS, which means they have to beg the commerical broadcasters to screen it. Look at the doco about the history of TV in NZ. TVNZ REFUSED TO SCREEN IT!

You wouldnt have shares in Sky by any chance? How about interests in the production companies that churn out MKR and other dreck?

1 Like

They tried it, it didn’t rate. You can say a public broadcaster would be able to show these debates in primetime without the worry of ratings, but the likes of ABC and BBC still look heavily at ratings to guide their programming.

That is not the NZ On Air funding/progression model. And it is easier now more than ever to create content for under-served audiences via the NZOA funding. Is it perfect? No, but I admire their desire to tap into new audiences and new ways of delivering content on new screens/platforms.

No.

3 Likes

Are you a National supporter by any chance? Because you see, to repeat a lot of National/ACT talking points.

You just hate public service TV, just like Melissa Lee, Chris Luxon, NZME, MediaWorks, and the Radio Broadcasters Asssociation. YOu hate the idea of advert free media.

1 Like

I’m a Labour voter and I wouldn’t watch a documentary about Norman Kirk. Doesn’t interest me in the slightest.
I was unsure about the merger going ahead - part of me gets nostalgic for the good old days, I kinda wish TVNZ and RNZ had never been split in the first place, and things would be different today. But it was done a long time ago, and - having said that - in that time the media landscape has changed greatly.
The days are long gone of two TV channels, one local radio station and the local newspaper. Yes, you still have those things but there are a lot of other options - and delivery methods of information - available now.

1 Like

The ABC has Four Corners, Q and A in primetime, surely people should have the option of viewing these live in primetime. Those ABC shows do a great job of informing the public, isn’t that what we wanted from the merger and allowing TVNZ to ween itself off advertising as it is facing an uncertain future.

1 Like

I would suggest what Millsy was suggesting and the likes of Four Corners/Q+A (Aus) are a bit different. Four Corners is great journalism - but so is Sunday (TVNZ). And it’s not like ABC are showing these shows wall to wall every night.

1 Like

I would not have minded the merger going ahead and been given a chance
If it was done with the righr model
It might have bought some quality shows and debate to
The airwaves as opposed to the status quo now
Ie zb etc
Just because we have what we have now doesnt make ir right
Guess we will never know

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying but Sunday doesn’t dedicate entire episodes to a single subject matter. I feel like the Aussies are so lucky they have a public broadcaster that wants to get to the heart of issues without commercial interference. After all this, another attempt bites the dust, we all wait for another incarnation lol

1 Like

Agree. It’s not just Four Corners and Q & A, also the 7.30 Report each night.

1 Like

Yup a nightly current affairs show albeit four nights a week is missing from our screens, I get The Project and Seven Sharp do try but they won’t grill a politician or take an in-depth look at issues.