New Zealand Radio

You’re conflating your personal experience with representing all “people”. No doubt there are people who do blob out and watch TV but they are a diminishing number. That’s undeniable, given the rise of streaming services and decrease in linear TV numbers.

3 Likes

Still, no justification for filling our screens with reality TV.

I don’t like reality TV much either, but there is (sadly) an audience for it. A big one. So it’s going to be made whether we like it or not. Even a broadcaster like the BBC - a universal byword for quality - isn’t immune.

I think the issue with a merged RNZ-TVNZ would be that NZ is simply too small a country to really sustain a BBC-like powerhouse. Even the BBC itself is not what it once was, thanks to endless cutbacks over the past decade or so.

7 Likes

If they’re desperate for money, the buyers should be able to name their price.
Surely a station sold to locals cheaply (and staying on the air) is far better than it going off the air entirely?
There are lots of radio enthusiasts around - look at the people in the Manawatu who have resurrected the old 2XS, for example - which is doing okay.

“Wall to wall” docos wouldn’t interest me either. I’d want to see a bit of variety - yes, a documentary but then maybe a comedy, or current affairs, or a reality show, or a music video show. If you want “wall to wall docos”, you would watch something like the Discovery Channel.

1 Like

Fair to say broadcasting in nz is not what it used to be

1 Like

Putting a poorly curated mp3 collection on shuffle and throwing in a few IDs that say “2XS FM” is hardly “resurrecting the old 2XS”. It may be 2XS by name but it doesn’t resemble the old 2XS in any way, shape or form. It’s just another amateur broadcaster who is cashing in on a name that people feel nostalgic about.

2 Likes

I had a look at their website, and social media pages. Looks to be a bit more than “[p]utting a poorly curated mp3 collection on shuffle and throwing in a few IDs”.

Well, yeah, that is a well. I just chose documentatries because that is what I like, but music videos, and current affairs would be good too, and local drama.

I would even be OK with a 24-7 news show.

1 Like

Would never work in New Zealand, sadly.

You can’t seriously be putting forward a station on an LP Frequency as a viable regional station? There are others you could pick from (look around Timaru, for example), on real frequencies. But that aside, my argument is about MW not willing to sell, rather than their being interest out there in running a station. But even with will you still need to keep the lights on… I’m not sure regional radio is all that viable, and even run on an oily rag, it may not be something locals want to listen to either.

1 Like

Yep, most locals get there info from social media, ie local FB groups, etc. But at least they are trying I suppose.

1 Like

Perhaps aiming for a BBC might not be realistic but how does the NZ public broadcaster compare with ABC/SBS or the CBC? Although the latter I understand is run very lean.

Down here in nth Canterbury we have a station
Community
Focused compass fm
It serves a purpose and focuses on local events and businesses
The mayor and mp get regular airtime
It may not be eveyone cup of tea but it certainly has a following
Its not owned by the big 2 media outlets so there is a point of difference

Yep, I’m fully aware of Compass FM - they’ve been around for ages. There are a bunch of little stations scattered around the place that do a great job for their communities.

It’s been 10 years since the death of Sir Paul Holmes, one of the legendary broadcasters in New Zealand. He was described as the “Emperor of the Airwaves” and died on this day (1 February) in 2013. He was 62.

“Those were our people today. That’s Holmes tonight.”

3 Likes

Yes compass fm does its bit

1 Like

Sound fm welcomes geogia cubbon
To the
Lineup website has been updated

Gary McCormick finishing up on More FM next Friday instead of April. Starts later that month on Today FM, I am picking Friday 7-9pm will be his slot :thinking:

Yeah and apparently show to be called “McCormick Unleashed”
https://twitter.com/thetvnews/status/1617295672591646721

3 Likes