New Zealand Radio

It was a media commentator who
They interviewed re the mediworks issue

1 Like

Cam Wallace not well liked by MediaWorks staff. Comparisons with the Mark Weldon era.

MediaWorks staffer says the former Air NZ executives at MW referred to as “the cabin crew”.

3 Likes

I don’t believe CEOs necessarily need to be well-liked. Respected though, is the key.

A Radio Live retread is perhaps not the answer.

3 Likes

I think Today FM will always struggle and won’t be competitive without having a fully fledged well respected newsroom to power it. At the moment it doesn’t have that. ZB is a powerhouse brand because it has the support of NZ Herald and ZB newsrooms.

Are you sure it has nothing to do with ~17% of the total radio audience wanting to listen to talkback, that ZB’s been around for donkey’s years and their competition’s had more incarnations that Doctor Who?

8 Likes

LOL. Exactly. One’s a strong, stable household name with experienced hosts. The other isn’t any of those things.

Absolutely you’re right, yes… but ZB’s brand is also all over the Herald and vice versa, which has helped too.

Old listening habits are hard to break
If you are happy with what you listen to and a new player comes along you may not
Be interested or inclined to change no matter what the opposition try
To do i think this has happened here to mediaworks talk brands
Zb is always like an old friend and people wont change…

True, but also…ZB’s product is number one for a reason. Just providing an alternative doesn’t make it a ‘good’ alternative (and I don’t mean to slight Today FM by saying this). Was the talk audience crying out for an alternative or a ‘more balanced mic/Mike’?

Are there any of Today’s hosts you would take over the ZB alternatives on a weekday schedule? Tova is still warming to radio whereas Mike has been doing it for 30 years. Kerre has her detractors but she runs a good ship in the morning and Wgtn/Chch have local shows which is a benefit over Garner. Afternoons maybe you might give to Leah and Mark although I don’t really know about Leah on talk. HDPA and Marcus win over Lloyd and Polly latter in the day for me hands down. So, unless you’re a ZB listener who likes talk, still listens to ZB yet wanted an alternative (and that must be a small venn diagram) then you’re probably sticking with ZB.

3 Likes

My point exactly

Gurney - From above article

“If we wanted instant results we would be doing something that played to the old talkback model with the same old names doing the same old things”

I would listen to Leah and Mark over Simon & James any day but maybe that’s just cos they speak their mind aka the same old names doing the same old things. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That sums it up really, the long time listeners aren’t really big on long term thinking and large scale change so why move to something new.

I don’t agree with Mark and Leah much but they do put on an entertaining show, Mark Peard chiming in helps and gives them another perspective on what they are talking about. Simon and James are well… are just there.

Listening to a bit of The Breeze (Canterbury) today, the day shift is still receiving local voicebreaks although out of Auckland with Kris Edwards, I’m assuming Robert Scott not back yet? Sarah Van Der Kley also doing local voicebreaks on drive.

RNZ studio in Auckland was evacuated due to a fire alarm going off while Checkpoint was on switched to some music.

About 53 minutes from the start of the stream

3 Likes

Seems Today FM is running a special program with the bad weather in Auckland.

2 Likes

Blocked on copyright grounds…

Does anybody have it saved in audio only?

2 Likes

I thought Today FM’s approach on Friday night was excellent. Had Chris Reeder and Dallas Gurney through until 1am providing updates and interviews, until the scheduled overnight host James Tito took over. And news editor Gary Denvir was in running the newsdesk and doing bulletins through the early hours. Well done I thought.
I mostly listened to Today but ZB likewise did well with Marcus’ show till midnight covering it then his producer Dan Goodwin ran the cutter through till 6am.

2 Likes

Not sure if anybody is interested, but I’m hoping to gather all the Newstalk ZB’s output from 12pm Friday up until at least Monday. This might change depending on how the situation develops.

3 Likes

I would definitely be interested!

2 Likes

Wow… the boss presenting? Fair play to him. Good to see all hands on deck.

I thought it was Dave Letele aka Brown Butterbean but I only saw tweets.