New Zealand Radio

More FM have adopted the dual programming strategy for Hawkes Bay that they have in Dunedin. Breakfast Club continue on 88.7FM followed by a local day show and Polly and Grant now broadcast on 106.3FM with a high school hits workday show. 106.3FM was previously used for Radio Live.

2 Likes

wow

not very inspiring

Every time I hear Polly and Grant it sounds like a trip back to the early 2000s. The Breakfast Club manages to sound a bit more modern even with a 67 year old in their ranks.

So Mediaworks opted to put RadioLIVE/Magic Talk on an AM frequency in Hawkes Bay just to add a dual More FM station? Thatā€™s ridiculous!!

1 Like

Yep. I was surprised too.
as @KnowItAll (sorry, I donā€™t like calling you that :stuck_out_tongue:) says though, they may as well have not bothered ā€¦ very amateur ad

1 Like

This one features Garner, Gillies & Richardson too: Magic Talk TVC on Vimeo

3 Likes

i imagine that AD would not be played on tv1

It is the one, as it doesnā€™t refence TV3 or the am show its kinda in a grey area.

Are any of those shifts live?

Both are live talkback shifts.

2 Likes

Great. For a national market the size of Melbourne, this is a great result.

leah sounds like a good talk host
she used to be on the Rock and then the sound

1 Like

Corin Dann is set to leave TVNZ when he takes over from Guyon Espiner on RNZā€™s Morning Report.

From one former political editor to another.

Solid choice. I would have liked them to pair Lisa Owen and Susie together in the mornings and give Corin a crack on Checkpoint but probably too much change in a short time.

After years of sounding stuck in the 1990s, RNZ sounds A LOT more modern now in presentation but Iā€™d argue itā€™s not necessarily culturally representative of NZ in terms of presenters

Hey!

Iā€™m a student from the UK and Iā€™m doing my dissertation on how the deregulation of commercial radio has affected the representation of New Zealand culture on radio.

Iā€™m interested in getting peopleā€™s opinions on whether they feel the commercial radio stations have anything that make them stand out as New Zealand stations? How often New Zealand music is heard? If the speech/language used represents New Zealand? What makes the stations unique to NZ or does it follow a different countries format?

Overall, do you think radio in NZ is representing the culture and identity of your nation?

Itā€™d be super interesting to get peopleā€™s thoughts or be directed to another thread that has been speaking about a similar thing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s probably some interesting reading around the music quota introduced in the early 2000s.
Iā€™ll see if I can have a look around tonight.

Uniquely NZ? I think they sound different to overseas formats, but admit the changes are becoming harder to pick. Mai, Flava

The use of Te Reo Maori is increasing and not just during Maori Language Week. I think itā€™s important that continues.

Iā€™ll think about it more and post some other thoughts when Iā€™m not in a rush.

2 Likes

Thank you for you input! It is really helpful!

Nice thesis topicā€¦

I worked in radio in New Zealand so I might start by making some constructivist anecdotal type comments.

Listening to ZM last night and I was amazed at how ā€˜Americanisedā€™ Guy was soundingā€¦ (which is a good thing - my teenage nephew in CHCH talks in a very Amercanised way too - which is considered pretty cool/hip - particularly among Maori).

Conversely, listen to Magic Talk and youā€™ll notice how many presenters and guests speak in a very polished RP style.

The young want to sound American and the oldies want to sound Pom.

(Iā€™m generalising of course).

Commercial radio in New Zealand has always tended to follow the UK style (particularly now with national branding).

Cultural uniqueness is left to the national broadcasterā€¦

2 Likes

From someone whoā€™s worked in NZ media and observed it at a distance, I would say deregulation has actually worked well in terms of nurturing niche formats, including those which are uniquely Kiwi.

NZ radio is basically controlled by 2 big companies; NZME and MediaWorks. This has allowed cross subsidisation of formats that may not be commercially viable on their own.

In Australia and elsewhere where there is great competition most networks will format ā€œin the centreā€ in an attempt to garner the biggest possible audience. As a result you end up with variations on the same theme(s)

Thatā€™s not to say that NZ stations are not concerned about audience size (ratings) or making a profit, but with a unified back office and an obligation to justify holding so many licenses you end up with many different sounds.

3 Likes