New Zealand Radio

I’m betting they’ve dropped George FM in Christchurch altogether. I can’t see an Auckland-based dance music station broadcasting on LPFM having a very large following when there’s two locally based dance formats - Pulzar and Anthemz - operating in the standard broadcast band.

That doesn’t come as a surprise.

3 Likes

Mai still on air on 95.3 in CHCH, May start relaying Magic talk late on Sunday 20th March for Today FM start at 5 am Monday 21st March. Not sure if any promos will happen on 95.3 in the week leading up to 21st March. Maybe a loop recording saying “Today FM on this freq from Monday”.

2 Likes

I think Mediaworks sacrificing Mai FM in the Christchurch market is part of the overall gamble they have to make with Today FM. Mai is 9th overall in share and 10th in Cume with 37,000 listeners, its the weakest of their FM stations in Christchurch. Its worth noting Mai still outrates The Hits, Hauraki, Coast and Gold in share and cume except for The Hits which has 700 more listeners.

5 Likes

The Platform’s live talkback hosts have just been announced: Sean Plunket (6-9am), Michael Laws (9am-noon), Leanne Malcolm (noon-3pm) and Martin Devlin (3-6pm). That’s 12 hours of live talkback per day.

Destined for doom before it launches. Laws, Devlin, Plunket are all has-beens. Their views are outdated and don’t reflect today’s New Zealand. No diversity … completely white lineup.

I look forward to seeing it crumble and fail.

2 Likes

I have listened to the interview with Sean Plunket on Spinoff’s The Fold podcast. He still says that his show on Magic talk was out-rating ZB and the station has fallen apart since he & Peter left … of course they were combining the Magic Talk & Music numbers then…

Jesus.

3 Likes

And arguably a recycled Radio Live line up.

How embarrassing, I thought he trying to be a bastion of independent news. But happy to skew the facts to suit his narrative. Was he pulled up on that fact by Duncan? I find Duncan doesn’t rebuff enough of the claims his guests make.

3 Likes

Today FM Political editor ?
She’d be a great hire.

2 Likes

She wasn’t very well liked at TVNZ.

Must’ve resigned fairly recently given she had been part of the filming for Sunday’s return promo.

5 Likes

Interesting you say that. I always thought ‘Rebecca Wright chases people down the street’ would be a good spin-off series from Campbell Live during her time reporting for that programme.

5 Likes

Yes, had also heard that :thinking:

Yeah, it has the potential to be a great podcast - but would like a bit more pushback. It’s still better than Mediawatch which doesn’t seem to “get” commercial media and always acts holier than thou.

3 Likes

Careful, if they see that you’ll be on next Sunday’s ep!

I think the important thing to remember about Mediawatch, is “who watches the watchers?” Someone has to, right?

3 Likes

Mediawatch is easily the best current affairs broadcast in NZ.

4 Likes

I really enjoy the Midweek Mediawatch they do on Wednesday with Karyn Hay.

2 Likes

More FM is live and local in many regions today due to adverse weather conditions. Weekday breakfast shows are in studio with updates on roading, power cuts, etc.

It’s moments like this when More FM really does show its strength.

9 Likes

Absolutely not lol.

Imho, it falls too far into pedantry and high horsing. Checkpoint would be my favourite - Morning Report seems to get worse by the week, time for an overhaul.

1 Like

Mediaworks have added RNZ to rova…

7 Likes

wonder who made that arrangement
might increase the audience and be a win for rnz

1 Like

Kind of a strange decision when they’re launching Today FM next month … digital supposedly going to be a big focus and ahead of launch they make it easier to stream their competitor ?

Let’s not forget they also stream Nui FM Taupo which is a school station with no commercials only music and the odd talk break… I mean I discovered it through Rova and listen to it at home and sometimes play it at work here in Aussie when I get sick of the local top 40 station.
I don’t think RNZ will be to much a threat to MW
My guess would they are trying to be the NZ alternative to iHeartRadio App

3 Likes