New Zealand Radio

So, I was expecting this to take a couple of days to chip away at. But I ended up diving in so deep, that I’ve somewhat finished. With that, here are the caveats.

• Same as before, this is mostly new territory for me. Expect errors, and notify me of them. I want to be as accurate as possible, so I’m not gonna be offended if something is wrong

• There are a few frequencies which are listed as “???”. In these cases, there is some uncertainty on details (broadcast dates, names, etc.). I’m gonna try and find some more info, but if you know what should be in that space, please let me know

Without further ado…

2 Likes

I’m going to assume that the silence means I’ve done a half-decent job. :relieved:

I’m going to try and get the gaps filled in a bit later.

EDIT: I’ve updated the spreadsheet. Where I’ve been able to find some info to take an educated guess, I’ve included it. If that hasn’t been an option, then I’ve simply included the current data and noted that previous info is unavailable. I’ve also been having a look at how things have changed on WorldRadioMap, so some recent changes are based on that. I’m not 100% sure on the accuracy of these.

Personally, I’d shade educated guesses in as another colour (text or cell), with a notation at the bottom that that’s what that colour means.
Doing that makes it clear evidence for that hasn’t been corroborated, and hopefully then if someone comes along with info to back it up will feel more inclined to provide that info.

I was thinking about that. TBH, I’m planning on tidying it up with the help of some bits from www.radiodx.com. So when I upload the latest version, I’ll make the unclear ones stand out a bit more.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to get that done within the next few hours.

1 Like

Updated Version

The stations where there is some uncertainly are in pink. If a station is listed as “Launch Date Uncertain”, then I have found a date but have some doubts about it’s accuracy. Whereas if the listing says “Launch Date Unknown”, then I’ve not been able to find any sort of date (sounds like my history with women :rofl:). As per, please let me know if you can set the record straight on any of the stations.

1 Like

Looks good.
If you haven’t tried already, you could try looking up the website addresses on the Wayback machine to find FM launch dates… RNZ’s should be there, it might help narrow-down some of the more recent launches, here’s an example for RNZ - their 101 FM network for RNZ National is a more recent development, so you should be able to hunt those down easily)

2 Likes

The Hits has changed their imaging and voiceover people but the jingles remain. They are using the Hauraki voiceover guy and Teuila Blakely.

2 Likes

Why I didn’t think to do that, I don’t know. Especially given I was already using the Wayback Machine to access other data. Either way, I’ve done that and have been able to close some more gaps. There’s still some areas where I’ve not been able to find solid data, and there’s a good chance some parts are a year or so out.

Regardless, I’m now going to move on to constructing a timeline for Christchurch, the city behind my first experience of radio from New Zealand (even though the broadcast was about a devastating event).

1 Like

I was listening to More FM News and they are calling there news Mediaworks news

1 Like

Christchurch Timeline Now Available

I have taken the decision to not include smaller independent stations with vague histories. Otherwise, I’d just end up chasing my own tail.

2 Likes

MediaWorks’ new talk station Today FM will launch on Monday 21 March.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Also on Stuff as well.

3 Likes

Today FM frequencies (including AM)

9 Likes

I’ve just been trying to update my timelines to include this. Do we know what will be happening to Mai FM in Canterbury which is currently on 95.3?

I think someone on here said Mai doesn’t rate well in that area so assume they are not getting another frequency but not 100% sure.

I was wondering if that was perhaps the case. I was planning on taking a few days rest with the timelines, so I’ll wait and see if any official confirmation comes through before changing the published versions.

The one other thing I will say is that as a Brit, it seems very strange that if you’re the owner of a radio license, you’re able to make changes this quickly. Over here, you’d have to inform Ofcom of your intentions, request a change to the format stated on your broadcasting license, put it out to public consultation, then hope it doesn’t get rejected (as does occasionally happen).

2 Likes

Yeah deregulation in the late 1980s in NZ essentially ended all of that.

Bit more like America here where you could (in theory) flip formats overnight.

2 Likes

Mai Canterbury started simulcasting on 106.9 from last month. As far as I know, it’s still on 95.3, but presumably they’ll shift listeners over to the LPFM frequency once Today FM’s launch date draws closer. George was on 106.9FM previously - not sure what’s happened to them.

1 Like

Well that’s a bit odd, as the George FM website is still listing 106.9 as their frequency. Either way, we’ll see what happens in March.

2 Likes