New Zealand Radio

You would think they would have a proper launch and have a few ads so people know about the switch

1 Like

The station is still Magic Talk. There is no change

1 Like

I would have imagined they would have just changed the name of the existing Magic Talk page to the new name like most other stations do so they don’t loose existing followers… bit weird… Unless they fully want to wipe Magic Talk and everything to do with it?

1 Like

Yep… This
Some magic talk followers will troll the new station / hosts they disagree with. And they don’t have a massive following so better to start fresh.

1 Like
3 Likes

Going off how Gurney has described the station in interviews “positive … modern perspectives” etc etc sounds very good in theory but what about when the big talking point is He Puapua or Three Waters for example - and you have a host like Garner or Richardson opposed to it. Are they not allowed an opinion for fear of it being deemed racist or not a positive discussion or a right wing viewpoint that is covered on ZB so they have to steer clear ? The Charlotte Bellis story at the moment - do they ignore it because it would likely be a negative subject with a lot of callers angry at the govt? Interested to see where they draw the line.

3 Likes

Modern perspectives really does make me laugh. Barring Lloyd and Tova (no newbies themselves), everyone else of the presenters on the weekday lineup are media veterans of 20+ years or have had high profile careers in the public spotlight already.

2 Likes

Did anyone else notice that the RDS on their local Magic Talk frequency changed to read “TODAYFM” today? I guess it was pre-programmed to change on the original launch date but someone forgot to adjust it to mid March :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, Dallas talks a good game but maybe he has momentarily forgotten who he has employed!

To be fair, anything is better than Magic Talk and the full investment from Mediaworks seems to be there this time.

When they start running ‘best of’ replays on the weekend, then we know Dallas has had to tinker with things and the situation has changed.

That’s the problem isn’t it, Duncan Garner, Mark Richardson, Leah Panapa will already have well entrenched views which have been heard for a number of years… on talkback radio. People will either continue to listen or be put right off and won’t give the station a try.

Radioinfo has confirmed the acquisition nearly 2 months later.

3 Likes

“We’re thrilled to be welcoming Radio Wānaka to the NZME family, as well as Mike, Petrea, Hannah and John. Their local knowledge and experience in radio will be invaluable as we work together to continue to provide a voice for Wānaka residents and businesses.”

Regal will remain as the host of Radio Wānaka’s Breakfast/Morning show, on-air weekdays from 6am-12pm with well-known broadcaster Peter Mac to host the Afternoon/Drive show.

Interesting they are keeping the station brand… for now. They have arguably already made cuts, Peter Mac already does afternoons on Hokonui out of a studio in Ashburton, I imagine this is an additional role for him.

1 Like

That might suggest that they’ll eventually rebrand Radio Wanaka as Hokonui

2 Likes

Agreement between Maori & NZ Govt. to increase Maori interests in Radio Spectrum, Broadcasting, &c. RNZ Article Here

2 Likes

Apologies to go somewhat off-track, but I’m looking for some advice.

As some of you may be aware, I have previously shared timelines for radio networks in the UK, along with TV networks in the UK, Canada & Australia. Having taken a bit of a break, I am looking at putting together some more timelines, and I’m looking at covering the radio networks owned by NZME and MediaWorks.

With this in mind, I’m wondering if anyone could recommend some good sources.

That would be really interesting to see. I admit I find NZ radio history a bit confusing, pre 90s anyway.

1 Like

This is the thing. From the limited info I can find, it all seems very interesting. However, there seems to be a lot less info than there is for British stations.

I would’ve thought it would be the other way around. New Zealand radio pre-1990 was pretty straightforward. It was after deregulation in 1989 that things got really confusing. New stations started popping up all over the show, some of which lasted only a matter of months. A lot of stations changed frequencies as a result of the tender wars too.

I’ve a bit of a database brewing… hang fire and I’ll see what I can tidy up for you. Do you do Excel?

I’ll take any info in any form, but Excel would be handy.

It’s more that I can’t really work out the history of public vs private radio in NZ. It seemed to change a lot more than say the ABC in Australia. Also some commercial stations in Australia have been around 80+ years.