New Zealand Radio

Wow. I’ve never heard that version before! Interesting, thanks!

1 Like

No problem!

And this is just one of many examples where the versions of songs that we hear on the radio today differ to what was originally released. I just wish that The New Zealand Retro Weekly Top 40 and radio stations in general would pay more attention to detail when it comes to this sort of thing.

Yeah fair enough too

1 Like

Assuming that the chart was from January 1985, the more common album version would had not been the one as the Album did not come out until October of that year. Plus that album had some good gems other than “Take on Me”

It wasn’t a January 1985 chart. Take On Me didn’t enter the charts until October 1985., so yes, the more common album version was in circulation at the time. But the New Zealand Top 40 was/is a countdown of the most popular singles of the week, not albums. That was my original point.

1 Like

our local station in canterbury compass 104.9 plays it
(the retro top 40)
is a good show but yes seems to "skip"or brush songs
its a good concept but could do better

2 Likes

https://theplatform.kiwi/

There is a particular crowd in the country at the moment who promote this view when the story (regardless of organisation) doesn’t align with their beliefs.

What a genuinely scary prospect that there will be a media platform for them. A congregation of Anti-Vaxxers, racists, sexists, homophobes and people who want society to relfect what it was ‘back in my day’ :face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

This is all very rich from Sean Plunket, who has been employed across all three major radio networks in NZ (RNZ/NZME/MWorks) - including one that is funded by tax payers.

2 Likes

Their beliefs are just as valid as yours, @Reece Just because you don’t agree with them, doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t have their own platform. Also, if you’d been alive “back in their day”, you might understand why they think that society was a better place.

Having said that, I don’t listen to talk radio. Talk radio is merely an echo chamber for people who like to believe that their opinions matter to anyone. It’s for people who need other people to validate their own thoughts, or worse still, people who can’t form their own opinions so they just mindlessly adopt the opinions of others, based on whatever seems to be popular with the majority of callers. It also fosters division.

2 Likes

I’m in Manawatu and no local stations take this show. Fortunately, two Kapiti Coast stations do. Coast Access 104.7 plays the show in hourly segments over several days, while 106.3 Beach FM (where the show originates from) airs the show in full on Friday evenings, then again on Sunday afternoons. Kapiti Coast stations are as clear as local stations where I live, so I listen to The New Zealand Retro Weekly Top 40 on Beach FM.

Happily disagree with you. Society evolves, what was considered okay back then doesn’t necessarily translate to being okay now.

4 Likes

we get it on a sunday from memory
i am not a Big listener but on the odd occasion have caught it
on our local station (compass)
compass is a local station similiar to yours i imagine
live during the day but not on weekends…based in Rangiora

2 Likes

MediaWorks planned to launch Today FM tomorrow before the Tova/Discovery drama

Instead it’s BAU for Magic Talk… guessing Danny Watson back on Afternoons, Graeme Hill on Nights - will they launch the Drive show early - Lloyd Burr & Wilhelmina Shrimpton ?

2 Likes

If Leah is doing 10-2pm, they might just have a 2-6pm talkback/news shift with a fill in host for the time being.

3 Likes

Not too sure if this has already been posted, but this appears to be the Today FM logo. (From Twitter - (https://twitter.com/TodayFM_nz).

2 Likes

There may be a possibility that the launch of MediaWorks’ new talk radio network, Today FM, will launch on 1 February but the exact date is yet to be confirmed.

In the meantime, it’s ‘business as usual’ for Magic Talk…

It would be nice but you would think it they will start at the beginning of the week

1 Like

Links to the Today FM Facebook and Instagram too

hope they do well (today)
with all the behind the scenes drama you would be hoping nothing else goes wrong