New Zealand Radio

In the age of social media people seem to guess a little arse hurt when you prove them wrong :laughing:

2 Likes

MediaWorks today announced that The Rock has returned to its old Auckland home on 90.2FM.

4 Likes

Definitely a smart decision

1 Like

When was this? I had issues with the last guy who ran that page, but the one now seems okay.
As to The Rock returning to 90.2 in Auckland - what to do with 106.2? They already moved Humm FM from there to another frequency. All their other stations are available there already.

Have a look back at 5-Apr discussion. My opinion is there will be rearrangement to allocate frequencies with greater licensed power to higher rating brands or to increase ratings for lesser brands. Current licence and brand details:

Freq Location kW_licensed Programme
90.2 Skytower 50 The Rock
91.8 Skytower 50 More FM
93.4 Skytower 50 The Breeze
93.8 Skytower 8 synchronous The Sound
94.2 Skytower 50 The Edge
100.6 Skytower 50 Magic
104.2 Pukekohe Hill 3 Humm FM
106.2 Skytower 20 The Rock
702 Henderson 31 Humm FM
3 Likes

As at 17 April 2023, REX (Rural Exchange) has switched to Magic. Below are the exact broadcast times*:

Best of REX
Mon-Fri, 5:00-6:00am

REX Today
Mon-Fri, 12:00-12:30pm

REX
Sat-Sun, 6:00-8:00am

REX Radio is also available around the clock as an audio channel on the rova app.

*Correct me if I’m wrong.

This is going to piss a lot of people off.

1 Like

This is a terrible idea.

1 Like

Of course it is. Following the abrupt closure of Today FM and the transfer of REX (Rural Exchange) to Magic, I decided to come up with the idea of a commercial talk radio brand that is fully owned by my dream television network if it becomes a reality and not MediaWorks…

Frequencies still broadcasting on the ex-Today FM (now with uninterrupted music), they have removed hourly TOTH bulletins and weather updates as of Monday.

And added like quick snippets of “advertise your business with Mediaworks”, “Rova Music stations” etc.

4 Likes

It’s actually a great playlist they have on the old Today FM :joy:

1 Like

:grimacing:

8 Likes

What’s wrong? Wouldn’t that frequency be broadcasting the emergency information?

It’s now been deleted but I’ve just realised the screenshot omitted the vital line about Today Fm being on there.

3 Likes

My sense based on hearing from 5:30 17-Apr is that content is brief snippets rather than a ‘best of’ type programme. There was more music than talk that was promoting the Rova for the detailed interviews.
I had Magic on in the background today but cannot recall that REX Today was playing from 12:25. Did anyone actually hear it 12-12:25?
The REX programmes are not yet listed in the Magic’s Shows website page.

Edit 19/04/2023: REX Today not heard 12-12:30 today

1 Like

104.5 was removed from the website today although it is still transmitting Magic as I write this. More interesting is that 891 has also been removed although it too is still Magic. The omission may be an error or it may signal something else is coming or perhaps the AM transmissions will end.

891 was The Breeze since forever though. I know parts of Wellington that don’t get FM well but the AM just booms in. Maybe Magic could return to 1233 and The Breeze back to 891?
Moving the rural show to Magic just seems odd - I doubt many of their urban listeners (which is probably the highest portion of their audience) would be interested in a show like this.
@DLK sorry I must have missed that comment from April 5. I probably didn’t explain myself very well; they will have a spare frequency in Auckland as all their existing stations are assigned to one already - maybe they’ll end up having More on two frequencies like they (bizarrely) do in Dunedin?

Just tuned into the Rural exchange channel on rova… they actually feed the latest news into it on the hour with the same news sting as on the filler station (Today frequencies)

Speaking of rova and the rova app at the moment i am finding myself listening to some of the pop up channels as opposed to the mainstrwam ones all you get is music and no talk or adds

2 Likes

That why I tend to listen to Nui FM, good mix of music and no commercials