New Zealand Radio

There were certainly some matches this season where they were on site but towards the end they were not.

1 Like

Commentating being done remotely has been a thing for years. The BBC did it for England’s matches against Pakistan last year (though Im guessing part of it was a safety thing).

2 Likes

Yeah we know it’s not new but we’re talking about home matches, not overseas ones.

1 Like

I think Today/Magic first did some remotes at the end of last season when there was no room for them at a venue.

Post-Covid, I know Gold calls a lot of regional rugby off tube but believe their All Blacks and 5 main centres commentary is on-site.

2 Likes

Anyone hear Ingrid Hipkiss this morning?

1 Like

@OnAir I haven’t, as I was sleeping in at the time. In other words, I didn’t tune to RNZ National.

1 Like

Hope you enjoyed your sleep-in @PaddyTePou

2 Likes

One news reader for the whole of MW?? Or just one from the Today FM pool?

What an awful mess this continues to be Grady, sorry you’ve been caught up in it.

4 Likes

Two further updates; 95.9 Alexandra and 100.2 Waikato both now Magic.
104.2 in Hamilton still listed as Magic for now

1 Like

Last year the trend at MW seemed to be existing on air people doing the news shifts at breakfast, although not sure that is the case now with shuffles and cuts at Magic and The Breeze. Maybe Geoff will takeover from mid morning until the evening, requiring only one shift across the day. I doubt that news will be recorded after 6 or 7pm anymore.

1 Like

IIRC I think Geoff used to do a split shift from breakfast 5-9 and then drive until Today started so that be something he returns to? Breakfast bulletins across The Breeze/Magic/The Sound/More (?) and drive bulletins at the other end of the day? Nothing in between. Only speculating mind you as you’d think they’d need something during the middle of the day but given how lowly MWorks is valuing news I wouldn’t be so sure.

2 Likes

It’s often said that “explaining is losing”. The change for Whakatane seems inept. Why did Mediaworks not wait until the change is effected before updating the website which is still lists 92.1 as The Breeze?
I’m not a technical person but cannot help thinking the comment “… find the stereo pilot switch for the 92.1FM signal” is a summary of a more technical explanation that has been misunderstood.

It’s interesting that The Breeze is intended to be relayed to Reporoa. I recall seeing speculation on 31 March that 98.0 was being reallocated to Magic.

Still think we’ll get a George out of this.

1 Like
3 Likes

It would be interesting to know how news rates in the surveys (Opinionation etc) the music stations do. I would have thought it would be one of the main reasons for choosing radio over spotify but maybe not so?

1 Like

The going underground segment on the sound on sat evening is a pleasant change
In the way if a music genre its now on the rova app
Well done to the sound for playing something a bit
Different

@Rod_Vanalphen @Rod_Van_Alphen

I noticed that NZ allows for unlicenced 1 watt Low Power FM stations, this is an interesting concept, but how does it work in practice?
Do operators play nice?

1 Like