New Formats

i’m suprised there is no local version of the big reunion. i’ve been watching the UK version on youtube and been enjoying it. it rated over a million a week on UK tv (which is quite good) and there are plenty of potential bands - S2S, Bardot, Scan’dalus, Girlfriend…

I think a good drama idea in Australia would be something similar to The Night Of. 6-8 episodes long. You could do 2 series a year and call by the same name but focus on a different story. Basically it would just follow a true Australian crime case and the legal proceedings as well as the events that led up to it. Viewers are left to question the verdict and become the jury themselves. The Night of was fantastic and I could definitely seeing something similar working here as long as it was Australian crimes. Just recently the suitcase murder was talked about all over Australia. There are plenty of high profile cases that everyone would be interested in. Lindy Chamberlain would be another massive case.

Screen NSW has announced some funding for TV dramas; haven’t heard of most of them before.

The Made in NSW productions include Monkey, a family action adventure television series based on the Chinese legend ‘Journey to The West’ produced by the Academy-Award® winning See-Saw Films (The King’s Speech); Fighting Season, about Australian soldiers returning from Afghanistan, from the producers of The Sapphires and Cleverman; and Friday on My Mind, the story of legendary Australian rock band The Easybeats from the producers of Love Child and The Code. Love Child has also been funded for a further season.

Director Nash Edgerton’s debut as a TV series director, Mr In Between, produced by Michelle Bennett, is about a about a charismatic, yet volatile hitman from production company Jungle. Pulse is the new series from producers Kristine Wyld and Antony Ginnane, set in in the life and death world of the cardio-thoracic ward of a major teaching hospital. Both series have also received Made in NSW funding.

In addition to the Made in NSW projects, a further 13 productions have received production investment from Screen NSW including the TV series The Letdown, which sees two female writers Sarah Scheller and Alison Bell working with No Activity and New Girl director Trent O’Donnell in the first narrative comedy series produced by Giant Dwarf, the team behind The Chaser and The Checkout. Also funded is animation series The Wild Adventures of Blinky Bill.

Wow. They keep pumping out these biopics. Can’t help thinking that we will reach saturation point in 2017.

While I would be interested in seeing the story of The Easybeats it’s before my time so I’m not particularly excited about it. I would think that the majority of the audience might feel the same way too.

Fighting Season as mentioned above is for Foxtel

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/fighting-season/2132?u=tv.cynic

###Screen Australia announces funding for documentary projects

Screen Australia has unveiled nine distinctive documentaries that will share in $2.3 million in funding from Screen Australia’s Documentary Producer and Documentary Commissioned programs.

Five are feature-length documentaries; two are for the ABC, one is for SBS and one for Foxtel.

“These projects do not shy away from hard-hitting stories that show the realities of living in a complex world. These teams impressed us with their desire to tell compelling personal stories and explore important social issues of today,” said Liz Stevens, Senior Manager of Documentary at Screen Australia.

Documentary Commissioned projects:

The Mosque

• Observational documentary series The Mosque from Southern Pictures for SBS, which will use unprecedented access to an Australian Mosque and the community it serves to explore firsthand what it means to be a Muslim in Australia today; with funding support from Screen Queensland.

The Archibald

• Foxtel commissioned four-part documentary series The Archibald from Mint Pictures, chronicling a year in the life of eight Australian artists as they choose subjects for a portrait that will ultimately compete in the nation’s most prestigious art prize, culminating in the announcement of the 2017 winner.

Right Here: The Go-Betweens

• A behind the scenes look at one of Australia’s most influential and successful indie rock bands in Right Here: The Go-Betweens from Essential Media and Entertainment. This documentary is the first recipient of Screen NSW and ABC TV Art’s Documentary Feature Fund, and will premiere at the 2017 Sydney Film Festival.

Documentary Producer projects

Mystify

• An intimate look at the life of iconic INXS singer/songwriter Michael Hutchence in Mystify. INXS music video director Richard Lowenstein will combine never-before-seen archival footage and interviews with those closest to Michael for this documentary from Ghost Pictures which has also received Film Victoria support.

Dying to Live

• Social impact feature documentary Dying to Live follows Allan Turner’s campaign to make Australia an ‘opt out’ organ donation country - a journey borne out of the heartbreaking loss of his seven-year-old daughter, who became one of the nation’s youngest ever donors. This was one of the six titles selected to participate at Good Pitch 2016.

A Sense of Self

• The story of five-time Walkley Award-winning journalist Liz Jackson turning the camera on herself for the most challenging story of her career – about her Parkinson’s diagnosis - in A Sense of Self from Contact Films with Film Victoria support. This documentary will air Monday 21 November at 8.30pm on the ABC.

Flight of the Rhino

• Feature documentary Flight of the Rhino from Wildbear Entertainment – a uniquely Australian perspective on the plight of the endangered rhino, a victim of illegal poaching. It follows a team of conservationists who embark on a controversial mission to airlift a herd of breeding rhinos from South Africa to Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo in the hopes of protecting the species for future generations.

From Under the Rubble

• Feature documentary From Under the Rubble, which takes a look at the devastating cost of war on the civilian victims of the Israeli-Palestine conflict. Survivor Zeinat Samouni recounts the January 2007 attack on her Gaza neighbourhood that killed 48 members of her extended family; from Sensible Films.

Untitled project

• An untitled project from Oscar-winning director Eva Orner (Taxi to the Dark Side) and Hilla Medalia; more details to come.

The Documentary Commissioned program is designed to support the production of a diverse range of quality projects for television broadcast that offer a compelling vision with a clear and enduring cultural value.

The Documentary Producer program is designed to give producers the foundational funding required to leverage their projects creatively and commercially, and must have a clear path to audience.

NBC’s new game show The Wall opened to solid ratings

What a loud and annoying bunch of people. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

we know how you feel about Americans, America, the US, North America in general etc.

And this completely reaffirms my thoughts, in the strongest way possible. :laughing:

I wonder where this will appear.

[quote]SHARINA STAR REALITY SHOW LIVE!

Sharina Star is Filming 3 live episodes of her exciting new reality show at Ettalong Diggers Club beachfront resort club April 22nd night

The show consists of Tarot, Jewellery Numerology and Psychic messages with live audience readings for over 2. Hours sure to delight with brand new concept .

Take 5 Team will be there with Kate Kirsten Ed giving $50 cash and a free reading if you want to go in magazine on the night optional

The show will consist of non stop live readings all night with 3 shows

There will be a psychic mini fair on board as well with Rosie from EMBRACE Westfield Miranda Fair as special quests before and after .

Everyone will be greeted with a Free Magazine and also have the opportunity to meet Kate Take 5 and tell your stories of love rats psychic experiences pet stories weight loss etc whatever and win up to $ 2000 in mag.

With relationship shows all the rage, I wonder if a return to the dating gameshow genre would work somewhere?

1 Like

SUPERWOG LEAP FROM SKETCHES TO A TV PILOT

When Superwog’s Theo and Nathan Saidden first started filming and uploading videos to their YouTube channel some eight years ago, they saw the platform as a potential jumping off point to a filmmaking career.

But it’s become much more than that.

“I feel like eyeballs are all online now,” Saidden says.

“I don’t really see it as a jumping-off point anymore. I feel like it will always be there even if we get something else.”

That something else could be a TV series – a natural next step for the brothers after they uploaded their first TV-length episode to YouTube on 16 July, 2017 and it became the top trending video in Australia (and was still #1 five days later).

Watch the Superwog TV Pilot here >

Superwog Series Pilot

2 Likes

Yes, great news for Superwog. It goes to show that Australia can produce great quality sitcoms. The new Kath & Kim I think.

I was going to post about it last week but didn’t know where to haha. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if SBS or Ten picked it up. Even Nine may give it a crack.

I believe Screen Australia and YouTube both assisted with production.

Hopefully it signals more original Australian sitcoms.

Nine could have a wog night with Superwog and here come the habibs :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Australian version coming soon to a TV near you? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

https://www.itv.com/hub/bromans/2a5065a0001

Heard this discussed on radio this morning.

Freemantle have obtained the rights to Supermarket Sweep and are promoting the format at this year’s Mipcom. There was an Australian version.

The latest take on Married at First Sight

Eight strangers are brought together by an expert matchmaker for a 30-day, cross-country journey. It’s a test of endurance, stamina, and compatibility to reach their final destination: the altar.

“New” format from Simon Cowell

The Greatest Dancer comes to BBC One

how fucking repetitive is his shit.