10:20pm Hard Quiz

Saturday 3 December
7:30pm Doc Martin Rpt
8:20pm Grantchester Rpt
9:05pm Foyle’s War: Trespass Rpt
10:35pm Call The Midwife Rpt Final

###Joanna Lumley’s Japan

From Sunday 4 December at 7:40pm

Absolutely Fabulous star Joanna Lumley travels across Japan from the icy Siberian seas of the north to the subtropical islands of the south.

Featuring the much loved Joanna Lumley, the series will follow her as she travels to the far reaches of Japan, from the icy Siberian seas of the north to the subtropical islands of the south. With her natural curiosity and engaging storytelling, Joanna will take viewers on an adventure exploring some of the most uncharted corners of Japan’s 6,800 mystical islands.

In this 3x60”, Joanna will journey over 2000 miles travelling across Japan by boat, train, plane and foot. From rustic mountains to sprawling metropolitan super cities, Joanna will embark on an epic journey across this beautiful, yet often perplexing, country of extremes and give audiences a unique insight into the people who make up these enchanting islands and their rich culture.

Starting in the north, in Hokkaido, Japan’s ‘wild north’, Joanna will make her away across Hokkaido by train and car. Known for its rugged terrain, it is home to some of Japan’s most beautiful and endangered wild animals.
Next, she will go to Honshu, the largest and most populated of Japan’s islands. Winding her way south, she will begin in Tohoku, before boarding the bullet train, which will plunge her into the metropolitan sprawl of Tokyo, before taking her to the ancient capital, Kyoto.

Finally, Joanna will journey through Japan’s forgotten island, Shikoku, on foot, before crossing over to the volcanic Kyushu Island.

Joanna’s epic journey comes to its end on the idyllic beaches of Kohama, one of Japan’s smallest and most remote pacific islands

ABC switching to HD in December

ABC will finally switch its primary channel to HD in December, with a full schedule in HD by December 31st.

###Girl Asleep

From Sunday 11 December at 10:00pm

Based on the critically acclaimed production by Windmill Theatre, GIRL ASLEEP is a journey into the absurd, scary and beautiful heart of the teenage mind. Fifteen is going to turn a corner. It has to.

The world is closing in on Greta Driscoll (Bethany Whitmore). On the cusp of turning fifteen she can’t bear to leave her childhood, it contains all the things that give her comfort in this incomprehensible new world.

She floats in a bubble of loserdom with her only friend Elliott (Harrison Feldman) until her parents throw her a surprise 15th birthday party and she’s flung into a parallel place; a world that’s weirdly erotic, a little bit violent and thoroughly ludicrous – only there can she find herself.

Set in the 1970s and boasting an array of captivating performances from its talented Australian cast, Rosemary Myers’ directorial debut feature film Girl Asleep, is a coming of age story that explore the life of 14-year-old Greta Driscoll.

Also stars, Matthew Whittet, Amber McMahon, Eamon Farren, Tilda Cobham-Hervey, Imogen Archer and Maiah Stewardson.

###Week commencing 4 December

Sunday 4 December
7:40pm Joanna Lumley’s Japan Series Premiere
8:30pm Poldark Season Final
9:30pm TBA
10:40pm Hockney

Monday 5 December
8:00pm Back Roads: Innisfail to Normanton
8:30pm Restoration Man: Whittingham Station
9:20pm Who Flew First: Challenging The Wright Brothers Premiere Special
Australian aviation historian John Brown demonstrates how an obscure German-American aviator Gustave Whitehead may have been the first to achieve powered flight in the world’s first aircraft 2 years before the Wright Brothers.
10:15pm Silent Witness

Tuesday 6 December
8:00pm Simply Nigella
8:30pm Rick Stein: From Venice To Istanbul
9:30pm Glenn Murcutt: Spirit Of Place An Artsville Premiere

Wednesday 7 December
8:00pm Hard Quiz
8:30pm Wil Anderson: Wiluminati
9:30pm Please Like Me
9:55pm Adam Hills: The Last Leg

Thursday 8 December
8:00pm Would I Lie To You?
8:30pm Doctor Foster
9:25pm Kevin McCloud’s Man Made Home
10:15pm No Offence

Friday 9 December
8:00pm A Taste Of Landline
8:30pm Vera
10:00pm Hard Quiz

Saturday 10 December
9:05pm Foyle’s War Rpt
10:35pm TBA

###Right Here: The Go-Betweens

Screen NSW & ABC TV Arts announce first Documentary Feature Fund film Kriv Stenders’ RIGHT HERE: THE GO-BETWEENS

The first film to be commissioned under the Screen NSW – ABC TV Arts Documentary Feature Fund has been announced today. Kriv Stenders (Red Dog) has created and will direct Right Here: The Go-Betweens.

Right Here: The Go-Betweens will explore the melodramatic saga behind the rise and fall of one of the most artistically successful and influential Australian bands of the last 40 years.

The Screen NSW – ABC TV Arts Documentary Feature Fund (DFF) is a new three-year joint initiative to fund one new feature length arts documentary each year. The three films will have their world premiere each year at the Sydney Film Festival prior to screening on ABC TV. Right Here: The Go-Betweens will premiere at the 2017 Sydney Film Festival.

Screen Australia is the major investor in the film through its documentary program.

Kriv Stenders has directed music videos throughout his illustrious career, including several for The Go-Betweens.

“This is very much a dream project for me, as The Go-Betweens and their music have been a fundamental part of my life since I was 15 years old. To be able to tell and share their epic story and to have original members onboard with me is a thrill beyond definition,” he said.

Robert Forster said: “Kriv Stenders is an artist in film and I am sure he will tell the story of The Go-Betweens with flair and precision.”

Kriv Stenders is one of Australia’s most successful filmmakers. His new film Red Dog: True Blue, prequel to his smash-hit feature Red Dog, opens in cinemas across Australia on Boxing Day and he will also direct the upcoming television drama series Wake in Fright, the contemporary retelling of the Australian classic. Red Dog earned $22m at the box office, and is the ninth highest grossing Australian feature of all time. The film won Best Director and Best Film at the 2011 IF Awards and the Best Film award at the inaugural 2012 AACTA Awards.

The film will be produced by Joe Weatherstone, with Chris Hilton and David Alrich as executive producers for Essential Media and Entertainment, one of Australia’s leading production companies of drama, factual and documentary programs.

###Walliams and Friend

From Wednesday 21 December at 6:30pm

Bafta, British Comedy Award and Rose d’Or winner David Walliams returns to the sketch comedy show format in this laugh-packed spectacular.

Filmed in front of a live studio audience, Walliams & Friend captures the joyous theatricality of classic British comedy with rib-tickling skits and spoofs.

This special sees Joanna Lumley guest star in sketches including a Bond send-up, an unproductive meeting of Liars Anonymous, and a surprising peek behind the scenes of The Great British Bake Off.

1 Like

###QI Christmas Special

From Wednesday 21 December at 8:30pm

Jenny Eclair, Johnny Vegas, Bill Bailey and Alan Davies join host Stephen Fry, who awards points for the answers he finds most interesting. Stephen prepares for the festive period with some seasonal merriment.

###Week commencing 11 December

Sunday 11 December
7:40pm Joanna Lumley’s Japan
8:30pm Midsomer Murders: The Dagger Club Rpt
9:30pm Girl Asleep Premiere
Based on the critically acclaimed production by Windmill Theatre, Girl Asleep is a journey into the absurd, scary and beautiful heart of the teenage mind.
11:15pm The Darkside

Monday 12 December
8:00pm Back Roads: Mallacoota
8:30pm Restoration Man: Gazebo
9:20pm Running Wild: Australia’s Camels Premiere Special
Robyn Davidson, famous for her solo expedition across the west Australian deserts by camel in the 1970s, presents this documentary telling the story of Australia’s camels and the people who brought them here.
10:25pm Silent Witness

Tuesday 13 December
8:00pm Simply Nigella
8:30pm Rick Stein: From Venice To Istanbul
9:30pm The Book Club’s Five Of The Best Premiere Special
The Book Club bids farewell to the year with a festive hour-long special to celebrate and discuss some of 2016’s best books. Guests include C.S. Pacat, Michael Williams, with a live performance by Paul Kelly and Charlie Owen.

Wednesday 14 December
8:00pm Hard Quiz
8:30pm The Yearly With Charlie Pickering Premiere Special
2016 - the year of Brexit, Trump and the Budgie 9 - has outstayed its welcome. The Weekly’s Charlie Pickering, Kitty Flanagan and Tom Gleeson wrestle 2016 out of the party before it takes any more musical legends with it.
9:30pm Please Like Me
10:00pm Adam Hills: The Last Leg

Thursday 15 December
8:00pm Would I Lie To You?
8:30pm Doctor Foster Final
9:25pm Kevin McCloud’s Man Made Home
10:15pm No Offence

Friday 16 December
8:00pm A Taste Of Landline
8:30pm Vera
10:00pm Hard Quiz

Saturday 17 December
9:05pm TBA

I wasn’t sure where to post this to the ABC topic, so I thought it would be okay here:

[quote=", post:1, topic:279, full:true"]
ABC is changing to HD

ABC main channel is making the transition to (HD) HIGH DEFINITION on December 6th 2016. Viewers with HD compatible TVs (with MPEG-4 functionality) will be able to experience ABC in spectacular HD, including this year’s New Year’s Eve fireworks.

Viewers without an HD compatible television will still be able to continue to watch ABC in standard definition on channel 2 and 21.[/quote]

More info, Q&A here and introduction video since it can’t be embedded here: http://about.abc.net.au/press-releases/abc-is-changing-to-hd/

Glad to see them beat Seven to the punch. And this year too when they were originally targeting next year! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like

###Sherlock Season 3

From Wednesday 4 January at 8:30pm

With London under threat from a terrorist attack, Sherlock is about to stage his outrageous resurrection.

First time in HD other than on Stan !

I do wonder if this is the last time Sherlock will air on ABC, given Stan has signed a deal with BBC Worldwide that it will get exclusive rights on future seasons of the show?

The show will not be shown tonight due to “late legal matter that needs to be resolved". The ABC says a new broadcast date will be announced soon.

Isn’t this the final season?

No,they finished filming season four in August it will premiere in UK/US on January 1 next year.

I’m sure I read that David Walliams and Friend was coming to the ABC perhaps for a Christmas special? Cannot find any info .

1 Like

###The Royal Variety Performance 2016

Sunday 25 December at 7.30PM

Comedian, actor and children’s author David Walliams hosts The Royal Variety Performance 2016 in the presence of Their Royal Highnesses, The Prince Of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, from one of the most iconic and well-loved live venues in the UK, the Eventim Apollo in Hammersmith.

David will introduce legendary performers Barry Gibb and Sting, superstars Gary Barlow and Robbie Williams, the award-winning Sheridan Smith and Emeli Sandé, plus this year’s magical Britain’s Got Talent winner Lance Corporal Richard Jones, and a number of sensational surprises.

The cast of The Beatles Cirque Du Soleil’s LOVE show will be flying in from Las Vegas for a special anniversary performance; there will also be sneak previews from the casts of Gershwin’s classic musical An American In Paris and Gary Barlow’s The Girls, both of which open in the West End early next year.

Diversity return to the stage where they first auditioned for Britain’s Got Talent and comedy talent includes Joe Lycett, Alan Davies and Rob Beckett.

More show-stopping numbers are provided by Amber Riley, star of the Tony award- winning musical Dreamgirls, One Republic, DNCE, ABC and McFly’s Tom Fletcher, who will be premiering his new book The Christmasaurus with an enchanting one off performance.

David said: “I’m very honoured and excited to be hosting the Royal Variety Performance. I was lucky enough to host back in 2012, so will be looking forward to another fabulous evening with huge talent”.

The event is staged in aid of the Royal Variety Charity (formerly the Entertainment Artistes’ Benevolent Fund), whose patron is Her Majesty, The Queen. The money raised from the show helps those people from the world of entertainment in need of care and assistance.

1 Like