Network Ten post-CBS

According to Niki Sava, Nick Xenophon reckons that there is a chance that it won’t be CBS but rather Lachlan Murdoch and Bruce Gordon, who ends up buying the network.

Xenophon is not happy about CBS buying Ten. “My instinctive reaction is to always prefer Australian ownership,” he says. He is not convinced it is a done deal, and believes it is still possible Lachlan Murdoch and Bruce Gordon could succeed in buying the network.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/columnists/niki-savva/shorten-wants-to-keep-the-farm-but-cbs-can-buy-ten/news-story/472fe427835818e7f0b345f0388fff10

1 Like

Gordon is hardly ‘Australian’ ownership, given he has to make sure not to stay here too long for tax purposes.

Given the Murdoch/Gordon plans would likely have seen significant job losses - with the redundancy between WIN’s operations and that of Ten - as well as the likely doom to Ten’s remaining news operations.

The significant media consolidation and job losses from a Murdoch/Gordon bid far outweigh it being considered Australian.

8 Likes

Add it to the Pleb!

• Should the ■■■■■■■■■ on WIN Television be inflicted across all of Australia or should Ten be bought by a company who can actually have a chance of making it competitive again without the loss of hundreds of Australian jobs to make two people richer but a whole country poorer?

Of course, with no obvious bias in the question there.

5 Likes

That opinion piece by Niki Savva is just blatantly pro-Murdoch. It ends with:

She means, Ten can only thrive if her boss, Los Angeles resident & News Corp co-Chairman Lachlan Murdoch, is able to jointly buy it with Bermuda resident Bruce Gordon.

1 Like

When WIN purchased NNSW from SCA it required approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board - so definitely not Australian.

5 Likes

So Xenophon would like to see the large job losses a Murdoch and Gordon owned ten would have. Not to mention the dilution of people producing news. This is nonsense.

They let some Indian company buy a mine in qld but American media company is treated with contempt. News corp is an American media company anyway.

10 Likes

Yes, under the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Regulation 2015 Bruce Gordon is classed as a national of another country as he is entitled to live in Bermuda indefinitely. The relevant section:

1 Like

But under Section 44 of the Constitution I’m sure he’ll be free to run for Parliament until the High Court decision is handed down! Maybe he should have just done that to get the media reforms through, the election posters could have had massive watermarks too!

Could The Amazing Race move from Seven to Ten since it airs in the US on CBS?

1 Like

I doubt it because Disney distributes the show internationally and Seven has a deal with them.

1 Like

I don’t think so. Disney Media Distribution (which is owned by rival American network, ABC) has the international distribution rights to TARUS. Unless CBS were to clam distribution rights to TAR or pay for Australian rights from Disney, it is unlikely that TARUS will jump to ten.

1 Like

That’s ok then, because if The Amazing Race were to air on Ten, I would have had to watch it via WIN TV!

Don’t you mean US citizen?
(And not born in Aus, if anything wikipedia says can be believed.)

1 Like

John Hartigan didn’t think much of Lachlan’s ability. Harto was spot on.

Lachlan’s only success has been Smooth and Nova, but he seems to let seasoned radio professionals run his radio stations rather than himself. If only he had interfered with Ten.

2 Likes

How has Nova been a success for Lachlan? In Sydney it was the top rated station but once he implemented his changes to format, it has slipped to about fifth.

2 Likes

Nova was really good before 2012. The Murdoch’s must have the bad touch, they killed MySpace, nearly did with Nova and ofc we know what’s happened with Ten now.

Wasn’t Lachlan responsible for the Classic Rock incarnation of that station? Lachlan was busy stuffing up Ten in 2012 when Smooth FM was introduced to the market. I’m sure someone else can lay claim to setting that radio station on the path to success. It surely wasn’t Lachlan.

2 Likes

Is it possible Ten has lost the rights to Speechless? Wikipedia says it is a 20th Century Fox Television/ABC Studios co-production

Implying it wasn’t dead in 2010

2 Likes

Found out last night checking another email address in the hacking list that it turns out I had a MySpace account too. I’m going to use it now to try and bring it back to life.