Network Ten post-CBS

As for “my focus” on day time Television. In Australia, its literally a graveyard. I listed what is in the CBS daytime schedule to show how different it is and ultimately hope that they don’t make radical changes that will harm Channel Ten, in the same way Bob Dwyer and Canwest did in 1989.

CBS could look at some of those shows I listed in their daytime schedule for one of the secondary channels rather than the primary channel, although the primary one will be a priority. Lets be honest, who wants to watch Hogans Heroes and Happy Days at 10:30am to Midday then at 6pm til 7:30pm really on One? and the same type of thing on 11 eg Everybody Loves Raymond at 4:30pm and at 7pm. It really doesn’t make sense to air those shows so close together, I could understand it if it was overnight fillers, but twice during they day?

But realistically the whole schedule needs to be scrutinised before they do a single thing

This thread does my head in.

6 Likes

It was Bob Shanks in 1989, and Canwest came later who bought Ten out of receivership and turned it into making a profit.

Keep in mind that Ten has a supply problem at the moment. Having to take Fox shows out of the equation has obviously caused them to have to run other shows as filler.

1 Like

@jcb301176 I think you have single handedly killed this thread.

6 Likes

Mock schedules is a bit too specific for general hopes of how CBS could make a change. But (even though I enjoy it) too much guesswork and opinion here.

There’s a missing in between thread… the “here’s how I think CBS should fix TEN programming” thread.

3 Likes

I agree. I think this thread should be dedicated to reaction to actual announcements. The detailed guess work is kinda getting out of hand.

6 Likes

Absolutely agree with this. Breakfast is difficult, but with Today weakened by the loss of Lisa, and Karl on the nose with women there is a huge opportunity for Ten. As someone who doesn’t like either Sunrise or ABC Breakfast I find myself wishing for another breakfast option now that Lisa is gone from Today.

Personally, I’d like to see a CBS-owned Ten focus on the following:

*Primetime. Continue the programs that are currently working and replace the ones that aren’t with new content.
*The Early Evening Lineup, 6pm-7pm in particular.
*Repositioning Ten Eyewitness News to keep up with the (mostly) recently repositioned competition.
*Better Marketing & Promotion.
*Getting more involved and connected with the local communities of the five licence areas Network Ten broadcasts to.

Of course there are other things that a CBS-owned Ten needs to think about like better lead-in programing for Studio 10 (maybe launch a 7am-8.30am breakfast news bulletin and evolve it from there) and repositioning the programing/branding of One & Eleven, but probably not as high of a priority as some of the other things I’ve listed. Ten daytime won’t be dramatically altered anytime soon, especially if Ten is winning the ratings against The Daily Edition, Nine News Now and the local 4pm news bulletins.

5 Likes

What a genius idea!

10 Likes

Lol it was dead way before he arrived.

2 Likes

@KICK-IT , although I have suggested looking at Daytime TV and looking at what might not be performing as well as it otherwise might. However, a lot seem obsessed with the evening schedule, which has been a bit of hit and miss for all the networks especially channel 10. Considering that an American network looks like picking up Channel Ten, one hopes they dont try and remodel our schedule to start evening viewing at 8pm like they do in the US and keep it at the traditional 7:30pm weeknight starting time. Lets hope its not another stuff up of Network Ten.

A reminder

1 Like

This. Remember those ads connecting local stations to the community? It’s everything.

3 Likes

Irony?

E1A2A04A-626D-4832-A364-903C066E3641

9 Likes

Sunday Share:

Nine
28.2%

Seven
19.1%

ABC
15.9%

Ten
6.8%

Ten has one thing to worry about. Well, 2

7.30-10.30
6-7

I am not sure where to put this but according to this, CBS are eyeing off Sam Armytage for a breakfast role, as CBS seeks to dominate the 6.30am time slot.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/sam-armytages-ten-interest-new-channel-owner-wants-host/news-story/caa9541660e513f1543157e8a7a468ca

I don’t think this will be the last we will hear about rumours of poaching talent from other networks

2 Likes

Dunno if they’ll get Sam, but it seems really smart to use the ‘chaos is a ladder’ strategy to try and build a morning audience for Ten. Poaching Lisa and forcing Nine to reset Today might be enough to level the playing field and get viewers to give their show a look in.

1 Like

I’d be really surprised if we don’t see a breakfast show on Ten within the next 12 months.

Breakfast TV is worth tens of millions of dollars annually in ad revenue in the top 5 markets alone, and that is shared between just two shows: Sunrise & Today.

There is easily room for a third player - and Ten/CBS will be looking grab some of that massive amount for revenue up for grabs.

8 Likes

You’d have to imagine that most high profile news/current affairs presenters at Seven and Nine would be the target of offers by a CBS-owned Ten looking to rebuild it’s news/current affairs image.

Now obviously there would be a few out there who’d stay loyal to their current network but at the same time, I think there’d be others (yes, even talent that’s been in a high profile role for an extended period of time) who’d absolutely consider taking the opportunity to be part of something new at a different network.

1 Like

Except for a couple of exceptions, Australian TV has seemed like a duopoly in commercial news coverage and sports rights with Seven and Nine being able to ignore any real competition from Ten. But with CBS now in the mix, there is the potential for more competition. I feel some of the announcements from Seven today, like cutting back on underperforming sports rights are a direct result of CBS coming on the scene. I’m sure that many sporting codes will rolling out the red carpet for talks with CBS after both Seven and Nine have been talking down the value of sport rights.

4 Likes