Network Ten post-CBS

This is just speculation on what her other show will be. Ten said she will be doing more than just being a co-host on The Project.

I don’t think it will necessarily be on a Sunday night.

2 Likes

I’m still not convinced about what’s going to be different this time compared to the failed News Revolution a few years back. At this stage Seven and Nine really have nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

No. I’m talking specifically about the reports she would host the Sunday Project… and now apparently a Sunday current affairs show too!?

Well what seems to be different - at this stage of what we know - is that they are targeting prime time.

So we’ve got Wilkinson, Hughsie for 2018 - who will be new this week? :wink: Anybody got a wish list?

4 Likes

The only thing that has actually been confirmed is that she is hosting The Sunday Project and making two appearances on the weekday edition. The additional stuff is pure speculation and that article has speculated a lot further than the original Sunday Telegraph story they are quoting.

Exactly what I said.

A more in-depth article concerning the Wilkinson defection - including Peter Meakin’s involvement:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/lisa-wilkinson-to-host-sunday-night-current-affairs-show-on-channel-10/news-story/7b5c8ac89be7acc150e72d763f1a763a

Meakin, a consultant at Ten, had initiated talks with Wilkinson after approaching her to appear on Ten’s The Project on September 13. A former successful magazine editor of Dolly and Cleo, Wilkinson was well-placed to speak to the topic of Rebel Wilson’s successful defamation suit against Bauer Media, Wilkinson’s former workplace.

According to Ten insiders, the network plans “to change the TV game” in 2018 thanks to the backing of its new owners, America’s CBS, the producers and broadcasters of, among other things, the US’s prestigious 60 Minutes which last month recruited Oprah Winfrey as a contributor.

A well-placed source said Wilkinson will appear on The Project two weeknights, one of which will be Friday, and also host a beefed up Sunday night primetime show that will look to address the audience swing away from the once unbeatable Sunday night news offerings 60 Minutes and Sunday Night.

2 Likes

hahaha this domino effect :joy:
Hopefully he makes appearances on The Project again.

Could there be a chance that CBS can steal back 60 minutes from Nine and use this in Ten instead?

It seems that CBS are going to make as lot of changes next year, and by announcing all these changes now, it is generating a lot of hype and hopefully will make people switch over to see what they think of these shows.

2 Likes

I think the Sunday current affairs they refer to is a beefed up Sunday project. Perhaps they’ll include some longer form interveners conducted by Lisa.

It seems all speculation.

We have to wait until CBS arrives and they begin to develop more strategies for ten.

CBS arrives at a good time. They’ll be able to see the importance of the big bash to ten. That will need to be top of their list. To renew those rights on an exclusive basis that this time includes streaming rights as well.

Now all this talk of news expansion is premature. The priority there would need to be just beef up of resources and increased online presence. So some new crews for each market. Some new journalists. Posting some journalists to the CBS bureaus overseas and perhaps a late news and local weekend news to complement news at five. Once all that is bedded down with some massive promotion then they can expand in 2019.

5 Likes

CBS is known for it’s incredibly vanilla, bland, formulaic drama and comedy by numbers approach for programming for middle America. I’m not sure why everyone is so excited. Ten has better development and takes more risks than CBS. Hopefully it will be the best programming ideas in Australia - funded by CBS money

2 Likes

I think the excitement is about what direction they will take and whether or not they will succeed. I have noticed some ideas that are quite good on the surface, but ultimately, it will depend on what they are going to do in the 4pm til 7:30pm time slots, if they do anything or just leave it be. I think their big focus will be on news and keeping people watching. Perhaps, one thing they could try is to switch The Project and Ten News around eg The Project at 5pm and Ten News at 6:30pm? Given a lot of people dont get home until between 5:30pm and 6:30pm around Australia - slogan could be Come Home To Ten Eyewitness News Weeknights at 6:30.

1 Like

OK this is one of the worst ideas I’ve read here. And that’s saying something.

9 Likes

Frankly, I think all of your ideas have been pretty dodgy. I think that they need to either keep the News at 5pm and The Project at either 6:30pm or shorten it to start at 7pm. A 6pm or 6:30pm News bulletin could also be an option. But there is a possibly that CBS may try and turn it into an Inside Edition style show, which is why I suggested they may move The Project to 5pm. Will it work, possibly given that other than ABC News, there is no news competition at 5pm, especially if they use Lisa Wilkinson to her full potential.

It comes down to, will they mess with something that is working to an extent or will they trash it, like Seven did to Wheel Of Fortune and Nine did to Sale of the Century when they replaced the original host of each show and tried re-vamping it.

Also note that in the US, CBS broadcasts Inside Edition at different times around the country. Another option it to air The Project live around Australia from 7pm AEST and in WA, where Ten First At Five News is on, maybe move their edition to 6pm

No thanks. I don’t watch but old and beautiful rates number 1 in the slot and CBS won’t be moving it. News at 5 has been on ten since 1992 and won’t be moving. They lost the 5:30 half hour but across the whole hour average would be still winning or second in the slot.

6pm-7pm needs work.

CBS needs to do a mix of what they value and what works here. They also need to change tens whole promotional strategy. They don’t know how to promote anything.

4 Likes

In the same post you identified why that would be a poor decision for a show with increasingly expensive talent and a younger (working) audience. The largely older audience who watch the news at 5pm are not the same audience who watch The Project - if fact if they’re still watching the news between 6:30 and 7:30 they’re watching Nine News and A Current Affair… so congratulations on just reducing their audience from 5-7.30 to effectively zero.

2 Likes

Some things I would look at in the daytime schedule would be, is if they were wanting to bring Bold and The Beautiful’s ugly older sister, Young And The Restless, to the party at Ten (depending on contracts and licensing agreements with pay tv operators), I would consider screening it at 3:30pm and moving one of the cooking shows to 11:30am (possibly Alive and Cooking) on the back of an 11am news service. Studio 10 would be reduced to 3 hours (from 8am) or 2 and half hours (starting at 8:30am). Consider the ratings of the two remaining cooking/lifestyle shows as well as ET and Judge Judy and move the lowest performing show to 11 or One and screen it and an encore of Neighbours between 10am and 11am weekdays.

Based on past “management” decisions at Ten and other networks, anything is possible. These are options they would be looking at, what things seem to work, what things they can change. But ultimately, what it comes down to is options.

Quite clearly if the first half hour of Ten News is working and last half hour of the game shows are working, that in itself could be a clue. Perhaps a revamp of an old classic fast paced game show, maybe Sale Of The Century or one that CBS has already got distribution rights on to take on the other contenders at 5:30pm.

No longer do all people sit through a full 1 hour program at that time of afternoon, albeit any other time of the day. It would be interesting to see if anyone actually sits through the full 3 and a half hours of say Studio 10, Today or Sunrise - the answer probably no one, so maybe the networks, not just Ten, need to look at their 5pm til 7:30pm schedules and create a more effective mix in that time slot

1 Like

Jesus my head hurts. Who the fuck cares about daytime. Fix prime time thanks.

8 Likes

My head hurts with the rampant speculation. Right now, it’s not 100% open and closed that CBS will own ten. Sure there is a very very good chance they will but I don’t think anyone should be jumping the gun until 100% confirmed

1 Like