Network Ten post-CBS

Why would you name a channel all day breakfast?

3 Likes

Isn’t that a old style serious channel, vs an old style youth channel?
:slight_smile:

Well when you read statements from the head of CBS stating they want to expand and enhance australian news you can only hope theyll be doing more news programs :+1:

Won’t happen.

No. 1 no point doing a local bulletin for it to air in daytime. Ratings would drop further probably leading to change to headlines only (ala Nthn NSW) for many markets.

No. 2 deadlines for news staff are already constrained with 6pm air time particularly for the early pre-recorded bulletins. A 4.30 air time would see deadlines for some bulletins around lunch time.

Ten needs WIN. Without them they lose a chunk of their revenue. There is no one else.

1 Like

Did you not read what i wrote, not a likely scenario and I could not see him wanting to air News at 4pm or 4:30pm???

Yes, was supporting your statement.

My suggested multichannel strategy with CBS in charge that I think could be implemented fairly well.

ONE:
Maintain the target audience as Males 25-54.
Simulcast the channel in HD (and obviously install HD playout for One and Ten)
Add to existing programs with first-run (or recent) CBS dramas especially with a crime, military theme such as NCIS franchise, Seal Team, Bull, Wisdom of the Crowd, Macgyver, Scorpion, S.W.A.T., Hawaii Five-O, Blue Bloods etc.
If possible add CBS back catalogue reality like Survivor and Amazing Race
HD option will provide additional sports option for Ten programmers.
Action, thriller Movies

Eleven:
Maintain target audience of 16-39
Supplement existing programs with classic sitcoms like recent acquisition Will and Grace
Source new programs from The CW channel that CBS Studios produce like Valor, Crazy Ex etc.
Current CBS comedies Superior Donuts, Man with a Plan, 9JKL. Young & Hungry
Source 20CFOX programs currently on channel
Back catalogue titles like 90210, Gossip Girl
Comedy and Romance Movies

Sixteen: (for want of a better name for the moment):
New channel
Target audience 25-65 with slight slant towards female
Drama, comedy and talk from CBS (way) back catalogue NCIS, CSI, Good Wife, Hart of Dixie, Vegas, Elementary, Made in Jersey, Dr Phil, Judge Judy, ET
Classic programs like 7th Heaven, NUMB3RS, Medium, Ghost Whisperer
A couple of new programs like Madam Secretary
Movies
(Ditch Spree TV if necessary for bandwidth)

Some of the programs listed as examples might not be available, but you get the idea, hopefully.

8 Likes

7th Heaven for Ten is like Hey Dad! for Seven and Cosby Show for Foxtel. Not likely to air again due to the sexual allegations made against one of its main actors

2 Likes

I’m wondering if a lot of people here have possibly formed a expectation of the CBS acquisition of Ten that is potentially quite unrealistic.

95% of the posts I’m reading it seems most people are expecting Ten to become an extremely big competitor to Nine and Seven and possibly take the number one position. However, is that realistic? What can they possibly do to make that happen?

For me, it starts with trust and consistency. To gain a following it starts with loyalty. I don’t see that from Ten right now. I can’t trust Ten to give me my daily (breakfast, morning, afternoon, evening and late evening news) everyday of the week, without fail.

There’s no consistency. Take this weekend in Sydney for example. If they want a loyal audience for the news product how can they expect me to wait from 7:30pm Friday (after The Project) til 6;30pm Sunday to The The Project. That’s two days without a news program. And The Project isn’t even a bulletin with full information.

My point is that News and sport are the foundation of a network and I can turn onto Nine every morning, afternoon and evening 7 days a week without fail and get my dose of news. With Ten, I can’t.

CBS, or Ten or whoever they are, have a long way to go to earn and trusted and loyal audience in Australia. Some may say they have one, but it’s not as big as the potential they have.

They need to start with their news offering first. A consistent and impressive news and current affairs team is pivotal for the future of Ten.

9 Likes

Where you say about that big break in between, are you only labelling The Project as News or are you referring to the inconsistent screening of Ten Eyewitness News over the weekend. If so, I agree, it will take time to build trust and create a following. That was the problem with both Wake Up and Breakfast when Ten did them years ago. Ten really need to take baby steps in building themselves back to where they were in the late 80s.

This is why I believe their best option would be rather than a full fledged 2 or 3 hour breakfast presentation, is to produce a 1 hour national news and current affairs show, similar to what Eleven AM was on channel 7, but only screen it between 7am and 8am as a lead in to Studio 10, which I personally would end at 11am to make way for either News or a talk/variety show.

Several of the things you’ve suggested, could be implemented by CBS - like more resources to news, especially weekends, but viewers are not loyal anymore. With so much choice, having a popular news service doesn’t mean that anyone with say watching a network past 7pm. There are plenty of examples where there is a huge switch off as the night progresses. It is just as, if not more, important to have a consistent and competitive 7.30-10.30 schedule.

CBS, like Ten , has been, will be focused on the key demographics. If you look at recent weeks as examples, Ten’s main channel has been very competitive in the demos, ranking second several times, it is just that it is competing with three channels against networks with four so there is one obvious way that CBS could potentially make a big improvement to Ten’s share without doing anything to news.

1 Like

If Bruce Gordon is willing to work with CBS and not against it, then a fourth channel could be an option. One problem I have with all 3 main channels is the blanket screening of encores of reality TV on their main channels. I believe it would be better if they constructed a more competitive day time schedule and move reality encores to a secondary channel and try to boost revenue there. People get annoyed if they are used to watching a show like Dr Phil or ET, which Ten frequently removes from the schedule to accommodate encores of reality TV, much in the same way that Ten will drop its weekend news bulletins for sport.

A more consistent schedule will have more people tuning in. Also, networks need to give shows time to build a following and look at what is missing from the schedule eg. Back in the 80s and early 90s, on Sunday morning viewers used to have a choice between Sportworld and Wide World Of Sports/Sports Sunday. If either 7 or Ten started one, maybe starting it at 9am, it may attract viewers. I know day time TV will not be their primary concern at the moment, but its more about re-building the network as a whole and not using the previous managements way of dealing with the problems. It has been the equivalent of putting a band aid on a bleeding artery - it was never going to work

1 Like

100 posts about news and breakfast programming… are we forgetting that CBS is just a shithouse in these fields as Ten is?

3 Likes

I would love to see Ten adopt some of the production and presentation expertise of CBS. I mean sets, graphics, themes and so on.

1 Like

Interestingly, all episodes of 7th Heaven are currently available to stream on CBS All Access and The Cosby Show was available on Hulu until fairly recently.

Those Doodleburger episodes of Hey Dad! on You Tube still crack me up to the point of tears. If you haven’t got a warped sense of humour or you’re easily offended I wouldn’t seek them out.

1 Like

Doodleburger’s videos of Alf Stewart are pretty good too, sad they haven’t made any more since like 2011.

It’s fairly disgusting and tasteless humour and probably shouldn’t be discussed here. Apologies for dragging discussion off topic.

It is sad that those shows can no longer be viewed in the same light that they once were considering what came to pass. I agree we’re unlikely to see them surface on free to air TV ever again.

4 Likes

What a strange article. I thought she was hosting “The Sunday Project”. And all the hype about her being our “Oprah” is nonsense. Oprah hosted a 4pm chat show and now does specials on a cable channel nobody watches.

2 Likes

If it’s a “current affairs” show up against 60 Minutes, it would probably, and ironically, use 60 Minutes USA reports.

2 Likes